Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

"Standard" stereo? Is it any good?

Ezcritique

So, for those of you who have received your vehicles without the JBL stereo upgrade, is the factory fitted standard audio system any good? 

I tried the music library on my USB stick on the demonstrator (had a 2 hour drive, then 2 day drive a week or so later) and though it sounded pretty good.

I ordered my car with the JBL upgrade option, but only to get the all round panoramic camera system, as they can only be ordered together as a pack.  TBH, it also sounds very good, but no better than the standard one did.

One caveat though, I like my music occasionally, but don't claim to be a connoisseur!   (Since getting into Hybrids 17 years and 320,000 miles ago, I drive a fair bit of the time with the sound system off, as I like the tranquillity of the car.  Not like the 1970s & 80s when even large cars with large engines needed something to drown out all the noises).

1 hour ago, PeteB said:

I tried the music library on my USB stick on the demonstrator (had a 2 hour drive, then 2 day drive a week or so later) and though it sounded pretty good.

I ordered my car with the JBL upgrade option, but only to get the all round panoramic camera system, as they can only be ordered together as a pack.  TBH, it also sounds very good, but no better than the standard one did.

One caveat though, I like my music occasionally, but don't claim to be a connoisseur!   (Since getting into Hybrids 17 years and 320,000 miles ago, I drive a fair bit of the time with the sound system off, as I like the tranquillity of the car.  Not like the 1970s & 80s when even large cars with large engines needed something to drown out all the noises).

Thanks Pete, that's pretty encouraging as I only ordered the standard AWD Excel and was curious as to what owners thought of the stock system. 

I also learned something else from the experience - when I returned the demonstrator, I put the USB stick in my shirt pocket, and subsequently found out that the USB stick can survive a trip in my washing machine!  🙄

I have the standard system as it’s a lease car and I didn’t have the option. Was pleasantly surprised with it though. My last 2 cars were both Skoda octavias with the uprated Canton sound system and I’m hard pushed to tell the difference (maybe listening side by side I would) but I listen to all sorts and it’s bassey enough for dance music which is usually where cheap systems fail. It does struggle with bass when the volume is cranked up high, but it really is much better than I was expecting 

That reminds me - on my last Prius Excel the uprated sound system (with ten speakers) was standard.  Surprised it's not the same on the RAV4.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links