Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Usual reset method of oil maintenance light

Fredriksson

2009 D4-D, 108 000 miles. I get servicing done by an independent garage. For some reason, they cannot reset the oil maintenance light either manually by pressing Trip A display \ power on, etc, etc or with their generic fault reader machine \ diagnostic machine.

They have suggested I will have to get the Toyota agent to deal with it and they said there would be no damage to the car as it is just a reminder. I can remember 10 000 miles \ annual but I'll ask here first if there is anything to look for. The Battery was changed when the service was done, if that might have any bearing on it. The car runs fine, there are no other fault codes coming up. As I am looking to sell, it may put off a buyer. 

Thanks

Steve

I expect it could be reset with Toyota Techstream.  Bought on eBay, it should be cheaper than paying the dealer.

Checks on e-bay..... hmmmm. How many pins? 16 or 22? Also, difficulty to see if any extra software is needed. The illustrations show CD's but is that just the hardware driver or does that include software that will display \ interface with the cable and ECU and display info on a laptop screen?

Not an IT numpty as I program industrial PLC's but I'd want to make sure it all arrives in one box rather than find I need something else.

Trying to get e-bay account unlocked after a hacking attempt and at moment I can't message sellers....

Mine is 16, but count the pins in your OBD2 connector under the dash, to be sure.  The TIS software is the full Monty, so, if the listing says TIS, you are ok.  Some offerings (probably cheaper) may be just cable and driver, but they should not say TIS.  

This one explicitly states full software, etc.  Some are a few pounds cheaper, but do not work on 64-bit PCs, and Win 8-10.

They can work in windows 7,8,10, but there's a big workaround. especially if you are not a tech person.

Alternatively, you can make a virtual machine, where you install a windows XP and use the software from there, easier to do, but again, if you are not a tech person, not that easier.

In your owners manual, there is an instruction how to reset oil light after maintenance, have you tried it?

Thanks for your replies. Yes, we've tried the usual procedures. The garage tried on their machine and we've tried several times with the "push this, hold that.... method", hence my enquiry. 

IanML's link was the one I was looking at. Why should this work when the set up used by an independent garage not? (I can't remember the make, but I have seen it in operation as they were trying to trace an ECU fault on my Astra, and it showed the codes and ECU schematics on the screen). Just curious....

That is three different makes of cars now that I have had with electrical \ electronic gremlins due to heat and vibration (which, last time I checked, IC engines do an awful lot of...) 🙄

1 hour ago, Fredriksson said:

Thanks for your replies. Yes, we've tried the usual procedures. The garage tried on their machine and we've tried several times with the "push this, hold that.... method", hence my enquiry. 

IanML's link was the one I was looking at. Why should this work when the set up used by an independent garage not? …..

A hard one to answer, but your independent garage seems to think it can.

I have had another (cost-free) idea.  Disconnect the Battery earth for (say) 15 minutes.  Reconnect and see if it has cleared.  That clears glitches on some cars.  Also clears stored frequency data in the ICE, but omelette, eggs...😉

I have never had any trouble setting oil light, I put ignition on, cycle through the trips etc. when trip A appears keep the button in, turn ign off then back on....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links