Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuse No. 15 under glovebox blows before you can start the car

Vickybo

Good night,

I've encountered a new problem with my 2009 Auris TR Valvematic.

Saturday night I was out filling up the washer reservoir, then I got back into my car and turned the key and got nothing, not even the starter turning over.

Eventually the RAC came and checked the car on his computer to no avail, after checking all the fuses in the engine compartment the technician then searched for what he called the starter relay. Eventually he ended up at a fuse panel located under the glovebox, where fuse 15 (AM1  7.5Amp) was blown once it was replaced the radio came on and the windows worked unlike before when I tried to start earlier.

The eventual solution to get me home without a tow was as follows;

1.Turn key to position 1

2.Put shifter into reverse

3.Turn key to position 2 (turning over)

4.Slowly pull back on shifter to neutral until engine starts, then release key

I can drive as normal as long as I remember the above process.

The car has not yet gone into Toyota for the 2 recalls (fuel suction plate replacement, and opposite orientation of airbag inflator) so now the airbag fault is displayed when the fuse blows.

There you have it.

Regards vickybo

IMG_20190731_163407.jpg

Vickybo,

What I can tell is what you may already know: you have a short circuit somewhere and that's the reason for the blown fuses.

AM1 seems to be a fuse that is in a circuit with the starter, ignition switch and accessory. Source: https://www.toyota-4runner.org/problems-and-warranty-issues/139437-am1-fuse-keeps-blowing.html

You should go to an electrician to check it out because it's a circuit problem. 

Also, about the airbag recall: you should definitely go and do it. Airbag problems are no joke.

Take care

Thankyou for your advice, I have called Toyota about the recall they have a backlog for the replacement parts.

I am looking for a local auto electrician in the Bromley area.

Regards Vickybo

• 1 month later...

Hi

Long story short I handed my car keys to an auto-electrician from Croydon, just before taking a 2 week trip to Canada (17th aug). Got back after frantic WhatsApp messages and texts, turns out he couldn't fix the problem due to staffing issues. eventually about a week ago I asked him to put my car back together and give me my keys. I am back to square one in need of a good auto-electrician?

Hi,

I don't have this model but, just to clarify, the car a Multimode automatic model, isn't it?

I have the Mk2 Auris, but the fuse box design seem different to yours.  Does the manual list what fuse AM1 is linked to?  In a Mk2 it is a 5A fuse (so, not 7.5A), and relates to the 'IG1 RLY' and 'ACC RLY'.

Whilst the problem may well be much more complicated than this, in the first instance, I would locate and remove the each of those relays above to see if it stops the fuse blowing.  But you've probably tried that already.  Hopefully, you have plenty of spare 7.5A fuses to hand now!?

Also, do you have a Dashcam installed, or an aftermarket radio or parking sensors?  i.e. an accessory where some of the factory wiring has been modified?  Although, I would have expected the RAC man to have checked all the above and discussed it with you before leaving.

Hi Yes its a Multimode auto.

The circuit covers internal lights, electric windows, radio, and starting system, I don't have a wiring diagram.

There are no after market mods to my car to my knowledge.

Hi 

have you tried unplugging everything on the fuse windows, radio, bulbs and disconnecting that starter (tape up the ends) then trying to start? 

(Obviously it won’t start 🙄

well first replace the fuse just go to start it to see it the fuse blows straight away. 

If it does start with radio the try unplugging things one at a time leaving them unplugged. 

If you have give me a year, engine type (if not size ) I can see if I can post up a wiring diagram tomorrow 

On 9/10/2019 at 10:08 PM, Vickybo said:

Hi

Long story short I handed my car keys to an auto-electrician from Croydon, just before taking a 2 week trip to Canada (17th aug). Got back after frantic WhatsApp messages and texts, turns out he couldn't fix the problem due to staffing issues. eventually about a week ago I asked him to put my car back together and give me my keys. I am back to square one in need of a good auto-electrician?

Can you drive it to Dublin?

On 9/17/2019 at 4:48 PM, Vickybo said:

Its a petrol 1.6L from  2009

I’ll have a tomorrow tomorrow morning see with we have a wiring diagram 

OK thanks. I'm not that hands on with repairs maybe in my younger days I would try my hand.

I have found an auto-electrician with a garage, I just need to get the car to them in Bromley.

I will check out the link thanks.

Vickybo

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Finally found a great auto-electricians  with a garage in Croydon. (A&A Auto-electrical) www.A-AAutoelectrical.com

I recovered the car to them on Thursday 10th Oct and by Monday 14th Oct they had diagnosed that the starter inhibitor switch was dislodged and spinning in the transmission and causing the short that kept blowing fuse No.15. I picked up the car on Tuesday 15th Oct  cost of £300.00.

Thankyou all for your advice and suggestions.

Vickybo

• 1 year later...