Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Creaking noise windscreen

rune500

Hi. I've got a really annoying creaking sound from the left side, lower part of the windscreen.  The noise appears when i turn the steering wheel fully to the right, sometimes to the left as well. I've taken apart the dash, and the cover under the windscreen wipers, but i really can't locate the source. I've pin pointed the sound to come frome the area around the bottom corner of the wind screen, or A pillar area. Any ideas?

I'm from norway, got the left hand side drive version 2013 RAV4.

Thanks 🙂

Just a wild guess, but is there, in that area, a bearing for the steering column which may need lubricating?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IanML said:

Just a wild guess, but is there, in that area, a bearing for the steering column which may need lubricating?

Thanks. I have been thinking  of that too, but the creak comes from the are around the bottom part of the windscreen on the left, drivers side. But as i know, the sound may trasfer in the chassis from somewhere else. It's som frustrating that i have considered buying another car. 😕 Can it be the windscreen that's rubbing the steel frame? It sounds like a old wooden ship, rolling in heavy waves. 

Arrr, Jim lad, that be the futtock shrouds slacking off again 😉

I would get under the dash with a spray can of GT85 (silicone lubricant) and see if you can spot the column bearing.  Worth a try.

• Like 1

Hehe. Well, i tried to lube the joint on the steering column. There is a cover by the pedals, that i opened a bit. Sprayed down the joint.. With the door open i can hear that the creaking comes from outside the car, right under the windscreen. It happens when the car is turning, like the whole body is twisting/bending. When that is said, i have 20" wheels on the car, and they are REALLY hard to turn without the engine running. Should the whole cahssi really twist that much? Uploaded a video of the issue. 😛

Another possibility is the attachments of the steering rack to the chassis.  If they are a bit loose, the vibration could perhaps affect the front pillar area.

guess i'll have to put it on the car lift again.. 😕

On 8/5/2019 at 2:49 PM, rune500 said:

guess i'll have to put it on the car lift again.. 😕

I've  found that the noise actually comes from the outside, the area is narrowed down to a "triangle" stretching from the left windscreen wiper, a pillar  and the fender. Could it really be that the metal parts are rubbing against each other? Anyone that have had this issue with their RAV4's? This is really testing my nerves. 😛 It's clearly not the steering column, not anything inside the car, because i can hear the sound much better on the outside. 

cac30tos111a021001_2.png

Hmmm, the bonnet hinges are in that area.  They could creak if they were "dry",  No harm in giving them a spray with GT85 or similar.

I would check the top strut bearing 

Structural, perhaps body welding, micro cracks or something similar that doesn’t move a lot to be seen but twist when under loads and create that sounds. Many cars are like that, some on the front , some on the rear,  and that’s why more and more manufacturers are talking about better structural rigidity on newer models when introducing them to the public. This may be a problem if it’s bad enough to be a weak point and in case if car is involved in accident. 

Years ago I had a creaking noise (in a Nissan), but it was only when going slowly over bumps. After removing a suspension strut and even installing a microphone under the bonnet, it turned out to be the bonnet itself, groaning on its rubber mounts along the edge of the wings as the body slightly flexed. 

I doubt your problem is this, but just in case, does it do it if the bonnet is not fully down?