Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Newby questions. - Avensis Buyers Guide and CRTD4 tuning box questions

Mark-3

Hi All,

I am new to the Forum and I am looking to buy a Diesel Avensis Estate and I have a couple of questions.

1. Is there a buyers guide of things to look out for or things that tend to go wrong on these cars (I am looking for a 2009 ->)

2. Does anyone have any experience with tuning the 125bhp engine with a CRTD4 tuning box? I have read good things about them but would like first hand accounts. 

Many thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark.

For a decent tuning box Toyota sell one, only one man is worth buying from, his name is John Devlin, aka Kingo, aka The Parts King. If you phone him, it is a main Toyota dealership, normal working hours, you will get through to the main switchboard and will be answered as Lindop Toyota, just ask for John Devlin, their phone number is 01244 821031 and he will post it to you, just give him your reg. number. His tuning boxes are not the cheapest but are the best and easy to fit.

Regards, Mike.

13 hours ago, Mark-3 said:

Hi All,

I am new to the Forum and I am looking to buy a Diesel Avensis Estate and I have a couple of questions.

1. Is there a buyers guide of things to look out for or things that tend to go wrong on these cars (I am looking for a 2009 ->)

Hi Mark, welcome to TOC 🙂

check the front doors by the door check strap/hinges for cracking (there is a thread here about it).

EPB actuator if it does go (usually because it has got wet) is a very expensive fix.

It's a modern-ish common rail turbodiesel so can suffer from the usual issues if used for stuff not really suited to a diesel (think lots of short journeys where it never gets to warm up properly).

If you can find one at a price/condition/mileage that suits you I would suggest a 2012MY> facelift as for 1 thing they made significant revisions to the 2.0 D4D resulting in better mpg & lower emissions.

Thanks for your replies guys.

I think a 2012-> is a bit out of budget at the moment but I will keep an eye out. 

Thanks for the heads up on the door hinge and tuning box, I'l look into them and keep searching. There seem to be plenty of cars for sale so one to my spec and budget should come up soon

Cheers,

Mark