Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2019 Excel - Projector head lights - main beam spread

Southern Softy

Good morning all,

I have noticed that when on main beam ( not high beam ) the projection of the drivers side is less than that of the passenger side which I prefer. Has anyone else noticed this, just wondering if it might need a bit of adjustment by the dealer.

Would someone mind checking the light pattern when they get chance and letting me know their view,

Thank you

IMO this is standard on newer cars, in order to reduce blinding to the drivers on the oposite side, the driver side light is dipped a bit, while the other one goes wider to the side, and up a bit, to illuminate the side of the road better.

Or maybe you can drop us a picture, so others can compare.

Main bean, high beam and full beam are all terms for the same thing - namely the full output from the headlights. The alternative is dipped beam ...

As far as I am aware, dipped beam has always been configured  to reduce the amount of light projecting from the drivers side, precisely as furtula has said, to avoid blinding drivers on the opposite side, while allowing a 'tick-up' of light to better illuminate the verge / hedge / side of the road. And that is why we are required to 'modify' our headlights when driving on the continent (as vice versa).

Toyota projection headlamps do appear to be more "oncoming driver friendly" than many traditional system having a sharper cut-off than folk may be used to ... Of course, if there are no oncoming drivers you can always switch to main beam in order to see a little further. 🙂

Thank you both. 

I will try to post a photo for comment.

The reason I have raised it is to try to assassin if mine are adjusted correctly as I have had a car built in Japan before with the lights not correctly adjusted. Nothing wrong with the output just the projection, a recent BMW loan car had a much longer projection.

Thanks for your comments btw.

I'm convinced that all BMWs are fitted with over-bright lights that are set way too high ... but that's a different subject altogether 😄

Just checking the obvious ... the interior load compensating adjustment is correctly set (e.g. on zero) for no passengers and no load? I find that on occasions I come back to mine to find that the thumb wheel has [been] moved. (I can't think how so I blame the wife.)

Probably the easiest way to get it checked would be to take the car to you local MoT centre and ask them nicely. Amusingly, mine failed its first MoT because the lights were set too high - after no adjustment by me and regular routine servicing by Mr T. 🙂

Hi Philip,

Mine is the new model 4.5 so nothing to adjust as far as I can see, I will double check though.

2 hours ago, Southern Softy said:

Hi Philip,

Mine is the new model 4.5 so nothing to adjust as far as I can see, I will double check though.

You're right! 😄 

Page 297 of the [online] owners manual states:

■ Automatic headlight leveling system
The level of the headlights is automatically adjusted according to the number of passengers and the loading condition of the vehicle to ensure that the headlights do not interfere with other road users.

So no little thumb-wheel anymore! And, I guess another thing that you may need to get your dealer to check that it's working as it should ...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links