Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gen 2 Auris Hybrid Catloc now available.

Devon Aygo

Toyota today announced the launch of a Gen 2 Auris Hybrid specific catalytic convertor Theft protection device developed in conjunction with Catloc, available now Supplied and fitted for £250 from your local Toyota dealer.

• 2 weeks later...

That's great news. I had the catalytic converter stolen from my Auris Hybrid at the beginning of July from a local Park & Ride. I've been waiting almost 7 weeks now for the replacement parts. I'd consider getting the theft protection device fitted if and when the repairs are done for peace of mind. I'd hate to go through all this again.

According to Toyota blog, cat converter replacment is less then £1200 and includes new cat convertere and cat lock installed.

Just had mine fitted, £250 for £20 worth of metal. But that’s ok because I had my own service advisor and they washed the car and blacked the tyres🤣😂

• Haha 1

I had one fitted recently as well... the problem is there is now a report on the Toyota blog site of a cat being stolen WITH a catloc fitted :(

Apparently they caught the whole thing on CCTV and it took the thieves only 2 minutes.

Do we get a refund from Toyota?

For that ripoff price they can pay for a new cat and car hire😡

A cat in the engine bay means they would have to break the window, wriggle inside to open the bonnet release and then get to work at the back of the engine bay. All the time the alarm is going off...

Rather than one stuck out the bottom of the car, where all they have to do is roll underneath it...

Hi guys

I had catlock installed on my Auris MK2 today, took an hour and half.

Pictures of before and after are below, was told that it is defferent design from the one for Prius gen2.
They used acid to mark the cat converter with the unique number and I registered it on www.theisr.org
Two stickers, saying that catlock is installed, are put on the front windows.
I understand that this will not fully stop a determent thief, but if it makes it more inconvenient and longer to still it, hopefully they will move on.
Also, I never ask any dealer to clean my car, because they have no time do it properly and at least will make more swirl marks.

IMG_0080 - before.jpg

IMG_0081-after 01.jpg

IMG_0082-after 02.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for the pictures.

Is it just a cover over the cat?

I think the Prius one chains the cat to the car.

yes, just the cover, but according to catlock it should be more difficult to remove then Prius one

• 2 weeks later...

Toyota catalytic converters are being stolen at a staggering rate in London

REPORTED LOCATIONS
cars parked on the street, car parks, hospitals, on the driveways, both nighttime and during the day

1. Reading (IKEA car park)*
  2. Backton (ASDA car park)
  3. Guildford
  4. Brentwood Essex
  5. Oxford Parkway train station
  6. Nottingham
  7. Alton Towers*
  8. Leicester University car park*
  9. North London (Middlesex hospital)*
  10. South East London
  11. South London
  12. East London*
  13. Rotherham hospital car park
  14. Royal Derby Hospital Car Park
  15. Cambridge park and ride carpark

* - means more than one report

YEAR / MODEL Affected
2004-2009 PRIUS (second-generation)
2009-2016 PRIUS (third-generation)
2016-2019 PRIUS (fourth-generation)
2010 AURIS (first-generation)
2012-2018 AURIS (second-generation)
2019 PRIUS+

The Black BMW and a Green Passat are the reported vehicles used by thieves.

Toyota knows that but they are doing nothing. The new models are having the same design (easy to steal). 

There is a backlog of orders. Owners are waiting for ages to get CC replaced.
Toyota blog say that replacement is cheaper now (£1200) but dealerships quotes are reaching £1700-2200 anyway.

I am looking for solid protection and that design looks promising

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.catclam

US
http://www.catclamp.com/
UK
http://www.catsafe.org.uk/index.html

• Like 1

I've spent the last week fitting custom made plates to Auris's for a hire company. They cost £9 to manufacture, and perhaps £2 in fittings. Takes around 8 minutes to fit too (after doing a few!). 

• Like 2

I have been reading this post with concern as I am just purchasing a Yaris Hybrid. I have done some digging around on Google and cant find any info on the Yaris Hybrid being affectyed by this theft. Is thiis because the location  of the Cat is different . I have located a photo which shows and reports  it is a Hybrid Cat so is this why they are not been stolen on the Hybrid Yaris ?

I also have a Auris diesel should I be concerned of theft from this or is the cat different ?

. image.thumb.png.9bd5feb4857d360b62004d5ac4745fa9.png

4 hours ago, stevecrvn said:

I have been reading this post with concern as I am just purchasing a Yaris Hybrid. I have done some digging around on Google and cant find any info on the Yaris Hybrid being affectyed by this theft. Is thiis because the location  of the Cat is different . I have located a photo which shows and reports  it is a Hybrid Cat so is this why they are not been stolen on the Hybrid Yaris ?

I also have a Auris diesel should I be concerned of theft from this or is the cat different ?

. image.thumb.png.9bd5feb4857d360b62004d5ac4745fa9.png

I have been thinking about my Avensis Valvematic and a few other variables about cat thefts. 

These variables are, where a majority of the the thefts are happening? A lot are happening in Greater London and the South East, where there are a large number of cars like the Prius. Other makes of car are also targeted. 
Next is the access to the cat. The thieves want to be able to remove the cat within a few minutes, so the cat needs to be under the car with no obstructions to delay them. The one in your photo will hardly be touched, unless they have plenty of time and know that they will not be disturbed!

Now with the Avensis T27, most are diesels (mine is petrol), and the target cars seem to be petrol hybrid which makes it easy being a Prius, and the Auris have the Hybrid badges as a giveaway. I think the thieves have not targeted the Yaris or Avensis (to my knowledge), because they don't know as much about them. Hope it stays that way. The Auris and Prius hybrid have a similar layout, that makes them a popular target. 

What we need is a database of the cars which had their cats stolen. Go to the Catlocks web page and you will get an idea of the cars they are making the Catlock for - https://www.catlocks.co.uk/

If I had concerns with my car, I would fabricate my own underfloor shielding, fitted to the under car bracing. 

Anyway enjoy your Yaris. I drove a loan 2018 loan car and it is a great car. Only a couple very minor negatives for the spec I drove. No auto lights and manual rear window winders. I would get the spec which includes those. I liked everything else including the fact it had a spare wheel! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2019 at 11:13 AM, SponsorUK said:

Hi guys

I had catlock installed on my Auris MK2 today, took an hour and half.

Pictures of before and after are below, was told that it is defferent design from the one for Prius gen2.
They used acid to mark the cat converter with the unique number and I registered it on www.theisr.org
Two stickers, saying that catlock is installed, are put on the front windows.
I understand that this will not fully stop a determent thief, but if it makes it more inconvenient and longer to still it, hopefully they will move on.
Also, I never ask any dealer to clean my car, because they have no time do it properly and at least will make more swirl marks.

IMG_0080 - before.jpg

IMG_0081-after 01.jpg

IMG_0082-after 02.jpg

How much did you pay?

I am going for a recall soon and considering doing this.

Thanks.

• Like 1

paid £250. Price is fixed by Toyota and availible at any Toyota dealer. I was told that if the cat was stolen / replcaed before, it might need additional fixing kit at about £40

• Like 1

What would be good is an add on tilt sensor for the factory alarm.

Then the alarm would go off as well when they jacked up the car.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sportse said:

Don't these scroats  just slither under without jacking up?

On Prius and Auris you have to jack up first, not enough clearance but on Rav 4 or some vans yes they just gets under and cut . 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, sportse said:

Devon Aygo posted this in a RAV4 thread where it includes a vibration sensor addition to the system so possibly the MY/MY 0.5 update for the Corolla may get similar? 

2 hours ago, sportse said:

That is the solution I am actually researching. Tilt or vibration alarm and a very loud siren. May be independent and even Chinese.

How much is the Aygo one?

Cats have started coming through we had 2 arrive Saturday 

Current ETA for catloc is 21 of this month 

On 9/14/2019 at 8:13 PM, JoeyC said:

I've spent the last week fitting custom made plates to Auris's for a hire company. They cost £9 to manufacture, and perhaps £2 in fittings. Takes around 8 minutes to fit too (after doing a few!). 

Have you got any photo's?

And are you willing to post kits out with fitting instructions? 

• Like 1

We have had a couple of kits come through, PM me for price delivered (let me know your postcode in the PM please)

Kingo