Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gen 2 Auris Hybrid Catloc now available.

Devon Aygo

On 9/14/2019 at 8:13 PM, JoeyC said:

I've spent the last week fitting custom made plates to Auris's for a hire company. They cost £9 to manufacture, and perhaps £2 in fittings. Takes around 8 minutes to fit too (after doing a few!). 

1 hour ago, Steve Whits said:

Have you got any photo's?

And are you willing to post kits out with fitting instructions? 

Please note that only authorised traders (eg. Parts-King, Opie's Oils, etc) are allowed to advertise and sell via Toyota Owners Club. 

30 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Please note that only authorised traders (eg. Parts-King, Opie's Oils, etc) are allowed to advertise and sell via Toyota Owners Club. 

Sorry,

This may be of interest to some in South Yorkshire

https://www.southyorkshire.police.uk/find-out/accessing-information/request-information-under-the-freedom-of-information-act/catalytic-converter-theft-ref-20191026/

Prius being the most targeted

Had Catloc fitted today to my Auris second gen. 

Nice job, quickly fitted. Even first one at this Toyota dealership in Hedge End Southampton. 

Dealer told me they had 2 hybrids in the garage been waiting 2 months for cats. Originals stolen. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/9/2019 at 10:07 AM, Steve Whits said:

The pdf does not include number of thefts just an explanation of the two different recording methods

do you have the figures available?

1 hour ago, bruce e said:

The pdf does not include number of thefts just an explanation of the two different recording methods

do you have the figures available?

Try clicking on the "attached data" - works for me

Got it, thanks! I just clicked the pdf. 😞

I find the numbers very interesting, judging from the attention it has received I expected the numbers to be higher.

Still a problem though, a tilt sensor would at least provide an alarm should the car be jacked up.

Brainwave.......As the car has a motion sensor how about hanging a woolly monkey / dice or similar that would activate the motion sensor if the car is jacked up?

• Like 1

After reading all the posts on this I have fitted a Samsung smarthings motion sensor in the car.

this connects to the smart hub in the house. if the car is moved it will turn on the lights at the front of the house and the bedroom light (set to blue so I know what the problem is).

If this happens at night I will just open the bedroom window and throw the wife at them. then they will be sorry

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...

Toyota announced introduction of a Catloc kit now available for 2012-2018 Auris Hybrid £250 fitted incl Vat at your local Toyota dealer.

Your right there Lee. Mine was ordered 6 weeks ago, still waiting.😨

• 1 month later...

This topic seems to have gone very quiet. Got my Catloc but wondering how others are faring - is there still a shortage? Is the spate of thefts continuing? Has anyone had a Catloc and still had theirs nicked? Is Toyota any closer to identifying a better solution and perhaps helping out customers faced with big bills (to repair and/or protect proactively)?

Still happening - check the comments on the Toyota blog site:

https://blog.toyota.co.uk/catalytic-converter-theft-how-to-protect-your-car

Many people wouldn't have another Toyota hybrid because of the issue and their response:(

• Like 1

I went to visit a relative in the local hospital last week, next days newspaper had a story saying thieves done a number of cars that afternoon. Guess I got lucky not using a little out of the way car park.

I'd be tempted to get the catloc if it had some proven deterrent value.

Police need to get a handle on it.

3 hours ago, MagicBoy said:

Police need to get a handle on it.

Whilst I wholeheartedly agree with you, I can't see that happening any time soon unless someone with a high profile takes up the cause, and shames the authorities for their obvious failure to deal with the situation, i.e. trap the thieving ( #nT$, and interrupt the chain that leads to a metal refinery somewhere. 

Perhaps you've seen, in just the last week or so, the papers have been running articles on the likelihood of a typical car criminal getting prosecuted.  For breaking into, or theft of a car, nationally it is a 1 in 400 chance of being convicted and receiving a sentence, caution or community service.  And that would not seem to be a dire enough, or important enough statistic to provoke a response from anyone in authority.  Are they thinking it will sort itself out?  Or maybe it's not considered a problem 'because your insurance will cover it.'?

In the one police arrest that I've seen reported regarding car cats., the culprit's vehicle was only stopped because they were speeding.  Their boot full of trolley jacks, power saws, false number plates and catalysts was just a lucky find by the police, if I understood the situation correctly.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sportse said:

Many people wouldn't have another Toyota hybrid because of the issue and their response

What do you expect the response should be? The possibility of a stolen cat isn't a safety issue, so DVSA won't be interested as regards a recall. 

Realistically it is no different to the thousands of vehicle owners who have had cars stolen due to weaknesses in smart entry systems, and similar, or Fiesta and Corsa owners who have had the front panels stolen from their cars, etc, etc. None of these have received compensation from vehicle manufacturers, despite being faced with increased insurance premiums, etc.

The issue is with Local Authorities who aren't enforcing legislation as regards the buying of precious metals, and it is this which is mostly fuelling the rise in cat thefts. Cut off the avenues to sell the cats and thefts will reduce.

It should be pretty simple to design a thief proof cover, which should have been done within weeks of the whole problem arising.

If you check out the comments on the official Toyota blog you will see how many people are fed up with their attitude of just cutting and pasting a stock response without taking action.

No-one in my family would ever have one, and my own (the second Toyota hybrid I've owned) will be the last.

As it stands I have a car I can't use as I would like, having to only go to places where I can park behind a secure barrier.

Not knowing if the catalytic converter will still be there everytime I try and start it means an effective reliability rating of zero.

I'll be swapping for a car that has the converter under the bonnet, as it should be.

VW 1.0 and PSA 1.2 standard petrols get almost the same mpg as the Toyota 1.8 hybrid on the motorway and are just as reliable.

1 hour ago, sportse said:

It should be pretty simple to design a thief proof cover

If you check out the comments on the official Toyota blog you will see how many people are fed up with their attitude of just cutting and pasting a stock response without taking action.

Catlocs are a device which is intended to deter thieves.

However no security measure, whether it is an immobiliser, alarm, steering wheel lock, etc will be infallible. Few security devices will resist an attack by an angle grinder or similar.

The action taken has been for Toyota to get Catloc to increase production of the fitments for affected vehicles, and to reduce prices for new cats.

Toyotas aren't the only cars affected - some Hondas and Audis have also been subject to cat thefts.

Yes, I've seen the comments on Toyota UK Blog, and realistically Toyota aren't going to be able to provide an individual reply to every comment, which will say something different to the stock reply.

VAG are probably not the best to compare to for a number of reasons - including:

dieselgate,

having a current safety issue with rear seat belts on the new Polo which is subject to an official DVSA recall, and which they haven't got a remedy for, aside from the use of a cable tie to anchor the belt fitting (which has been rejected by DVSA as not a suitable fix). So currently new cars have a sticker on the interior warning against using the centre rear belt,

issues with their new 1.5 engines,

etc

• Like 2

Plenty of people on the blog have paid out for catlock... and had a cat stolen afterwards.

Lots of unhappy former Toyota customers on the blog being fobbed off. I don't think anyone at Toyota realises just how bad this is for them.

These are former customers who had previously been big fans of the brand and bought multiple vehicles from them.

I've bought 3 myself, all from main dealers and main dealer serviced. My parents and 2 brothers also won't be buying Toyotas so that's a lot of lost business just from one family... and there are hundreds on the blog.

How hard can it be to come up with a solid protection option and to add a tilt sensor addon for the factory alarm?

I had one of the first ones fitted to my own car, but would have been better saving the £250 towards a new car instead.

At the end of the day, Toyota Owners Club has no connection with Toyota. Toyota may or may not view these forums - we don't know - but if they do, they certainly won't reply via these forums.

If you want to get your dissatisfaction through to Toyota, you need to contact Toyota GB Customer Services. 

I've had my cat nicked twice, 22 days after the car was returned from the first time it happened again. I emailed Toyota to say I might have to sell the car as the running costs were too high. They responded by sending me a list of local Toyota dealerships I could sell it too.

They just don't give a damn.

At least they've provided an alternative to We Buy Any Car .....

• Like 1

On 1/17/2020 at 10:06 AM, Elvis1967 said:

I've had my cat nicked twice, 22 days after the car was returned from the first time it happened again. I emailed Toyota to say I might have to sell the car as the running costs were too high. They responded by sending me a list of local Toyota dealerships I could sell it too.

They just don't give a damn.

Damn really sorry to hear. I have heard a replacement exhaust without a cat can be fitted as hybrid doesn't get tested for emission at MOT? 

Maybe an MOT expert mod can clarify 🙂

I not an MoT expert, just like to think I act logically (sometimes).  Yes, I heard testers don’t check the emissions cause they are considered low due to the fact the engine only runs say 40%-60% of the time.  That does not imply that a Cat is not required, cause if it wasn’t emissions would be higher. Cat fitted or not can be spotted immediately the car is up in the air.

• Like 1

As the car was originally fitted with a cat, if the cat were deleted it should fail the MOT.

• Like 1