Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gen 2 Auris Hybrid Catloc now available.

Devon Aygo

My family also suffered from those plaque, they had targeted one of our cars, the hassle it’s unbelievable, the stress too. Every time you leave your car anywhere you are wondering when you return if it is going to be ok , that is the biggest issue, plus the cost of replacement, and having no car for number of days , weeks or even months. Then insurance costs rise, no one is taking any action against. It is not a Toyota fault, engineers has created a wonderful job with hybrid cars, they should not be judged for the design of the exhaust system or under car layout, there are different, also important factors when taken in mind when cars were designed. Nothing will stop thieves abusing your car if they decided to.

It is a hit at the moment because there are adverts in Bulgaria and Eastern Europe that recyclers are buying Catalytic converters- good rates paid: https://bazar.bg/obiava-27327275/izkupuvane-na-katalizatori , just look at the pictures how many cats are from Prius / Auris hybrids, there are not popular there at all. And the pictures with tons of cats loaded onto pallets and wrapped with black plastic, fresh import from UK, it’s a madness. Until demand is cut there won’t be a break in cat stilling industry! Government, Authorities and police come on , wake up! 

There are some universal cats and O2 sensors that can be fitted to any car and do the job, probably not of a higher interest to thieves too, but you need to find a garage to fit those, and no idea if that universal cat will works just as the original thing or there may be some performance and consumption discrepancies, but will pass mot. 

• Like 1

The problem is not the Cat itself, nor the car manufacturer, nor where it is fitted.  The problem is the people who nick them. They will be making small £’s from every theft, but they happy to thieve bearing in mind the apparent lack of sincere interest to catch and convict them. A wonky society is the problem.

• Like 2

This has been a going on now for some time and we are no further forward in tracking down the gangs that are targeting cats.

If you're home is broken into, you don't blame the house builder.

The only way to get something done is to force the government to give this issue more resources.

Can an online petition be started to highlight the dissatisfied with the way this ongoing theft problem has been allowed to continue with no action to tackle the problem ?

• Like 1

The best way to petition is using the Governments own service - https://petition.parliament.uk - where if a sufficient number of signatures are acheived, it should be debated. However, due to the General Election the Petition Committee was dissolved, and a new Committee hasn't been set up yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's just another prevention method, which, if the cats are being illegally exported rather than being sold in the UK, won't be effective.

Sorry, wasn't suggest VIN marking or whatever was the solution. The one linked is the only cat theft related result returned from the petitions website.

The problem reeks of organised crime. Pressure needs to be put on the Police to actually do some detective work and catch those responsible rather than issuing crime numbers. Parliament or other elected representative bodies would be a good way to do that.

• Like 1

Yes, something needs to be done, This is a serious problem now, It is not just a theft, it is a virus. I have started seen cars parked on the roads and they have cat heat shielding hang down under the car which means that car been targeted and most likely the poor owner is still not aware, next would be the batteries form the EV,s if they haven’t started yet. It is so easy those to be stopped, the police just needs an order and within weeks Cat theft will be something from the past. Eastern European’s are particularly involved, Bulgarians the most as is a welcoming business over there and there are online adds for buying cat converters. Every week at least one van fully loaded departs from uk and no one stops to check them?! 

• Like 1

I have got an Auris hybrid and I am getting worried about my cat converter getting stolen,my local Toyota dealer has a 2018 Aygo for sale and I am thinking of buying it as it's not a hybrid so maybe it's not such a target,does anyone think the Aygo would be safer?

Thank you. 

Yes it will, if cat is mounted to the front of engine like on auris 1.33 then thieves are not interested, but they in general target only hybrids from Toyota , that is what they are stimulated to steal. 

• 2 weeks later...

Tilt sensor incoming from Toyota soon 

Official Toyota fitment 

£100 fitted or £50 with catloc

On 2/16/2020 at 6:12 PM, Malcster said:

Tilt sensor incoming from Toyota soon 

Official Toyota fitment 

£100 fitted or £50 with catloc

I've read on the Toyota blog they were trying to create one, though haven't really given a time estimate. 

Regarding the price, £100 fitted for the tilt sensor alarm? 
or £50 + catloc (£250) ?

Wonder what happens when we've already purchased the catloc, would they give it for £50 too? doubt it...

5 hours ago, Techead said:

Regarding the price, £100 fitted for the tilt sensor alarm? or £50 + catloc (£250)

Suppose there is a bit of a labour reduction on having the two fitted at the same time.

• 4 weeks later...

Had my cat stolen last night off a 68 plate Auris with 5000 miles on the clock. Didn’t have any idea of this plague until now. God knows how long I’ll have to wait for a replacement and even if a catloc is fitted no idea if it’ll be sufficient deterrent given it’s parked in the road. Maybe best to trade it in for a Corolla or chr. Does anyone know if either model now has the cat in the engine bay?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I’m told by local Toyota dealers that the cars to which they have fitted catloks Haven’t been brought back with reports that the converters have been stolen again. Do you think this is true or just b***?

33 minutes ago, monya said:

I’m told by local Toyota dealers that the cars to which they have fitted catloks Haven’t been brought back with reports that the converters have been stolen again. Do you think this is true or just b***?

Who's to know for certain. Depends partly how rife cat theft is in their area.

If your parked in a nice quiet area, then can take time on it, so no cover could be immune. You can only make it as secure as you can and hope they move on. That sounds bad, as passes them on to an easier cat to steal. Better hope they move on and get caught!

James.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've just bought a used approved auris and when I picked it up. The dealer told me they had fixed a cat lock to it at no extra charge. He seemed to suggest that Toyota were doing to all their cars now . 

On 6/26/2020 at 11:10 AM, Tenor said:

I've just bought a used approved auris and when I picked it up. The dealer told me they had fixed a cat lock to it at no extra charge. He seemed to suggest that Toyota were doing to all their cars now . 

Could well be. Heard even Toyota dealerships have had cat thefts from their cars for sale!

James.

• Thanks 1

I suppose dealers fed up with customers coming looking at used hybrids and asking has a catloc been fitted - when the answers No customer walks away, so they fit one as standard to Toyota approved used cars. 

13 hours ago, Auris James said:

Could well be. Heard even Toyota dealerships have had cat thefts from their cars for sale!

James.

I had to pay for my catlock when i completed on my s/h Auris this week. The dealer, Yeomans Worthing, stated that they had also been targeted!

6 hours ago, Catlover said:

I suppose dealers fed up with customers coming looking at used hybrids and asking has a catloc been fitted - when the answers No customer walks away, so they fit one as standard to Toyota approved used cars. 

Makes sense! Although hope customers understand not fool proof!

2 hours ago, piperdave said:

I had to pay for my catlock when i completed on my s/h Auris this week. The dealer, Yeomans Worthing, stated that they had also been targeted!

When I bought my Auris in January, mine didn't have a catlock fitted. While I was buying I understood the cat theft risk. Not mentioned by dealer.

I wasn't impressed with the price of £250 and so bought a plate from eBay, had some bars welded on and fitted. Total cost around £70.00. Went back to dealer as bonnet not opening easily and slight play. They adjusted it and did a health check and commented on my rattly cat cover that I recently had fitted and said good idea to have one! When I said the price he said "a lot cheaper than ours" I got the cover adjusted the same day and been silent since.

James.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2019 at 11:13 AM, Rav4ster said:

Hi guys

I had catlock installed on my Auris MK2 today, took an hour and half.

Pictures of before and after are below, was told that it is defferent design from the one for Prius gen2.
They used acid to mark the cat converter with the unique number and I registered it on www.theisr.org
Two stickers, saying that catlock is installed, are put on the front windows.
I understand that this will not fully stop a determent thief, but if it makes it more inconvenient and longer to still it, hopefully they will move on.
Also, I never ask any dealer to clean my car, because they have no time do it properly and at least will make more swirl marks.

IMG_0081-after 01.jpg

HI,

What is the thickness of the sheet metal?

Thanks.