Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis T27 Tourer Unbonded Rear Brake Pad

bobabobajob

A few weeks ago I went to reverse off my partner's drive and the rear brake was binding. I assumed that the Parking Brake Actuator wasn't correctly releasing but it made all the right noises and no warning lights showed. I forced it, producing much noise and smell and it was fine driving forwards, just binding on OSR in reverse. Drove to work paranoid and noticed rear discs a bit warmer than I thought it should be so skipped off home and took the rear wheels off. On removing the caliper I could see that the OSR outboard bad had debonded. The friction material completely separately from the metal backing plate and so obviously causing the binding. As I've only had it a month or two I don't know the history. However, comparing the OSR and NSR calipers it was obvious that the OSR had been replaced at some point- fairly recently judging by the condition. Cursing whatever muppet would change the calipers without changing the pads (duh!) I simply replaced the rear discs and pads. Despite the debonded pad being Pagid I still fitted Pagid replacements as that was all I could get locally.

Don't really know what the point is of sharing this other than perhaps a warning to check any Pagid pads in case there's been a bad batch. I did check the Caliper for leaking brake fluid as I thought that may have caused it. All has been fine since. I did think about taking photos and sending to Pagid but on reading some lengthy and very boring document they had produced on the fault-finding guide for knackered pads I lost the will to do it.

Unlikely that the Pagid pads had a manufacturing defect. More likely that they overheated due to a defect with the caliper or handbrake mechanism.  Overheating causes failure of the adhesive layer between the friction material and backplate.

I recently fitted Pagids at the beginning of the year. It was done in an emergency at a friends garage, when I investigated a noise and found one pad (Apec brand), was fitted incorrectly a couple of years previously. 

I have a minor issue with the Pagid's, if the car has been washed, the pads stick to the discs sometimes if not driven straight away. Also if not driven for more than a couple of days, the pads sometimes stick. They let go with a light thump. Most of the time they are fine. I will be inspecting the brakes properly later. 

I forgot to mention that i had washed the car the previous day and hadn't driven it straightway. In fact it stood all night. Perhaps that contributed to the problem in conjunction with previous overheating as mrfixer said (hence the new caliper). All speculation but sounds llikely.

Can't believe how rusty the calipers get. I did the fronts aa well recently and ended up grinding off all the rust and painting with hammerite (except the mating surfaces). 

Must remember to drive the car after washing next time.

Thanks for the replies.