Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gen 3 Prius Catloc Now available

Devon Aygo

In addition to the already available Gen 2 Prius specific Catloc Toyota today announced the launch of a Gen 3 Prius specific catalytic convertor Theft protection device developed in conjunction with Catloc, available now Supplied and fitted for £250 from your local Toyota dealer.

Hi Lee, - do you know if there's a catloc available for the Gen4 Prius through my Toyota garage or whether it's too difficult to remove the cat it's not needed?

But is there any need? It doesn't look particularly easily accessible, and I haven't heard of any Gen 3 cat thefts.

As far as I'm aware there have been thefts from 3rd generation Prius models, and one of the latest comments on Toyota UK blog says that 4th generation models are also being targeted - https://blog.toyota.co.uk/catalytic-converter-theft-how-to-protect-your-car/comment-page-1#comment-1558775

As with any security measure, Catlocs may deter opportunist theives, but not those more determined individuals.

It isn't just Toyotas which are being targeted - seems to be an industry wide issue.

I thought only the cat fitted to the second gen had any value, due to the precious metal content?

2 hours ago, Seamaster73 said:

I thought only the cat fitted to the second gen had any value, due to the precious metal content?

Virtually all Cats' contain some sort of precious metal not just Gen 2 Prius, see:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalytic_converter

22 hours ago, BhxTrev said:

Hi Lee, - do you know if there's a catloc available for the Gen4 Prius through my Toyota garage or whether it's too difficult to remove the cat it's not needed?

At present no there is no Gen 4 Catloc, as for removal its more difficult but as Toyota have mentioned even the installation of a Catloc is not an absolute guarantee as given time and tools if they want the Cat they will eventually get it

Hi Lee, thank you for your reply. As it happens I’ve booked my Prius in for a service next week & I was going to have a catloc fitted but as you have told me there isn’t one available yet for Gen4 Prius. Regarding the cat itself, before I retired I worked as a research chemist & from what I recall about catalytic converters they are basically a box containing rocksill wool or something similar with precious metals finely deposited within the ‘wool’ structure to provide a large surface area to maximise the exhaust gas/catalyst contact. However, the amount of precious metal I understand is quite small, so I doubt if these thieving scum are after the metals. As someone suggested they probably sell the cats on for a knock down price to someone with an older Prius who’s cat is spent or even someone whose cat has been stolen!!!!! Thanks again for your reply. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

Virtually all Cats' contain some sort of precious metal not just Gen 2 Prius, see:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalytic_converter

Yes, obviously, but the Gen 2 was supposed to be particularly lucrative, which sparked the whole business.

• 3 weeks later...

I just visited my local dealer and they tell me I can have a catloc fitted to my gen 4, for the usual £250.

• 3 weeks later...

This has been around since January 2019 - and Toyota have just written to me to tell me about it! Sheesh, and I had a service last week, and no one mentioned it.

Does anyone have one?

24 minutes ago, altocumulus said:

This has been around since January 2019 - and Toyota have just written to me to tell me about it! Sheesh, and I had a service last week, and no one mentioned it.

Does anyone have one?

£250, but currently out of stock when I looked earlier in the week 

I've now received my letter. So basically I'm being asked to fork out £250 to (partially) rectify what is really a Toyota design shortcoming. Hmm....

After being a Toyota customer for over 32 years, currently on our 11th, I'm feeling a little bit peeved this morning. Perhaps Toyota should offer this solution on a 'cost only' basis, rather than earning a bob or two for themselves and/or their franchisee.

Also, I wonder if this item is transferable from one car to another, or are they designed for a particular model only?

Reading a report yesterday that stolen cats in the last 6 months is more then double the total for the whole of last year. Seems like the more press exposure ref the problem attracts more scumbag opportunists. Perhaps if there was less press coverage the problem would be less, and that goes for all crime - “advertise” it less will probably reduce crime rate generally.

ots only small quantities of precious metals in a Cat, but I think I right in saying one precious metal is now £4000 per ounce!

lets not forget that all modern cars have Cats (except for electric) not just Toyota.

7 minutes ago, Catlover said:

lets not forget that all modern cars have Cats (except for electric) not just Toyota.

hybrids apparently have more of the precious metals in their cats though. & it isn't just Toyotas being targeted - saw a list the other day (sadly can't remember where atm) but Hondas & some others (Hyundai/Kia?) were also mentioned.

Seen via the BBC news app this morning.....

”Toyota does not make money when replacing stolen catalytic converters in cars, and it is also bearing the cost to discount the Catloc device for its customers, while it researches more anti-theft technologies, the BBC understands”.

the report from bbc went on to say it has been illegal to pay cash for scrap metal, but there are some dealers who do pay cash fo catalytic converters, which tempts thieves. The police need to put people in jail for paying cash for scrap metal, as soon as the do that, the trade would slow down and stop, the report said.

so, the real problem is there are too many tea-leafs about, and too few places to “punish” them, so they flourish and multiply.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

hybrids apparently have more of the precious metals in their cats though...

Several recent articles I've seen also say because Hybrids' engines don't run all the time and are inherently cleaner they leave the precious metals in a more valuable state, hence a preference for stealing Hybrids' cats.

• Like 1

I asked Toyota Ireland by email about Catlocs or similar products, and they don't seem to have any plans on providing them despite being aware of the thefts. I believe ID is supposed to be required here for selling scrap metal, but it's likely they're being smuggled out of the country or is going into a black market of some sort.

The last theft spotted near my workplace was caught on CCTV, and they saw cars with registrations from Northern Ireland - a good 220 miles from Cork!

This may well be a stupid question but why are gen 2/3 cars vulnerable to cat thefts and gen 4 aren’t?

The £250 price quoted is already a discounted price, so my garage doesn't offer a 10% Club discount....If it discourages the thieving toerags I'll give it a go. My insurance will probably rise because it's a modification and they'll charge an admin fee for placing the info on file 😄

@RichSH - perhaps a change in chassis design? or the Gen4s are newer - as per Aaron's post?

This is a low resolution picture of a regular Gen4 underbody.

It is all a bit different to the Gen3.  The EGR feed is now arranged to be post-cat, I believe.  So, another pipe to get in the way of the thieves. 

I think that pipe is visible in the picture.

smbottomcenter.jpg

On 9/23/2019 at 11:18 AM, QuantumFireball said:

I believe ID is supposed to be required here for selling scrap metal,

One of the major reasons cited for the increase in cat thefts generally (not just Toyotas) in the UK, is that the legislation which prevents scrap dealers buying from unscrupulous sources isn't being enforced by Local Authorities, etc due to budget constraints.

• Like 2

I saw crap cats being blatantly sold on Facebook a couple of weeks ago, don't suppose the police would act on that though.

Catloc for gen3 prius is out of stock and our local dealer has to backorder then wait...

20 hours ago, kithmo said:

I saw crap cats being blatantly sold on Facebook a couple of weeks ago, don't suppose the police would act on that though.

Crap cats? Bit harsh on poor old cats that is 😭