Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris - Singular clunk when stabbing throttle

camerontawn

Good Morning All,

I have recently purchased a 2013 1.6 Vmatic Auris last week from Vertu Toyota Chesterfield (Approved Plus) and I have noticed a clunk that comes from the front when you either set off or stab the throttle. I personally think it has something to do with either bushes, the strut or something else front suspension wise. I have read on a couple of other forums for other cars, engine mounts could also be an issue.

Has anyone else had the same issue? Anywhere else I should be looking on the car that might make this noise? The car only has 53,000 miles on it...

Cheers,

Clunk is on both sides, or just one? 

Does it only happen while moving, or also at idle? Try to physically move the engine around, see if there is any play. As for the rest, we need to know which side, etc.

You have a 6 month period in which the dealer is obliged by law to remove any faults with the car, so you should not waste money on trying to fix it yourself.

The clunk seems to be on both sides. It's quite hard to tell. I have just tried physically moving the engine and it wouldn't really budge, the mounts seem pretty solid. I have also just tried pushing the front of the car down and pulling it back up to see if any knocks occurred and none did. It only happens when you set off from a junction or a set of lights etc or when you stab the throttle when moving, not at idle. I'm now starting to think that it could potentially something drivetrain related (Gearbox, Driveshaft etc)?

I'm still thinking it's one of the mounts, just not so much that it's easy to notice.

You should take the car back to the dealer and have them fix it, as said earlier, you have 6 months period under which they are obliged to fix the car, or you can request your money .

Insist on a drive with a technician so you can show him the issue and have him acknowledge it, otherwise they will probably just say no issue found and give it back.

Hi, 

transmission wise as you think maybe is the issue, clutch etc. Engine mounts to check you need someone to help., stab the throttle while you watching them moving, best to use a torch even in day light, because sometimes to find a faulty mount is very tricky. Excessive play in exhaust system may also cause similar troubles so good to check that too if you haven’t already. 

Good luck

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

Sorry for the lateness of my reply. I took it back to the dealer that I bought it from and they sorted the issue. They had it for roughly a week before determining that the engine mounts needed adjusting. Thank you all for your replies and suggestions, for now the issue is sorted!

Cheers,

Cameron