Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What should i look out for when viewing a Gen 6 GT

Crawforddd

I am going to view a gen 6 GT in 2 weeks and i'm curious as to what the most common defects are. The car is a '98 GT and has 86k miles. On the advert it is listed with 'new gearbox oil' and is overdue an MOT by 2 years (i searched online) and through pictures so far the only thing that needs attention is the soft top, the interior is very clean. I'll look for all the standard things; oil leaks, torn boots, dents and scratches etc, but does anyone with experience with the car have any advice?

Thanks 

Moved to the Celica club

As most Toyotas, the 6th gen Celica is a very reliable machine. I can’t say that there are any special issues to look for mechanically, it’s mainly wear and tear. The superstrut suspension is kind of special and will certainly set you back a bit if parts need replacing, so check that everything is nice and tight up front. They are prone to rust, particularly the front and rear quarterpanels, along the rim of the wheelhouse, and the bottom of the doors. 

The power antenna is almost always shot, but can be repaired if the motor still works.

Generally speaking, be aware that just about every spare part is discontinued by Toyota, and when you need something, which you ultimately will, you’ll find them hard to find and quite expensive if and when you do. 

All things considered though, they are great cars and I highly recommend picking one up!

On 8/12/2019 at 9:13 PM, MScME said:

As most Toyotas, the 6th gen Celica is a very reliable machine. I can’t say that there are any special issues to look for mechanically, it’s mainly wear and tear. The superstrut suspension is kind of special and will certainly set you back a bit if parts need replacing, so check that everything is nice and tight up front. They are prone to rust, particularly the front and rear quarterpanels, along the rim of the wheelhouse, and the bottom of the doors. 

The power antenna is almost always shot, but can be repaired if the motor still works.

Generally speaking, be aware that just about every spare part is discontinued by Toyota, and when you need something, which you ultimately will, you’ll find them hard to find and quite expensive if and when you do. 

All things considered though, they are great cars and I highly recommend picking one up!

thanks for your response, i'll make sure to look out for any rust spots. I'm hoping everything checks out so i can drive the car home, i even bought an OBD sensor. I'm really excited to go and view one

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links