Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2019 rav-4 smart entry disabling

LesU

After reading up on how these smart entry systems are being easily fooled, I've become a little concerned about the security of my vehicle. The manual seems to imply that the Smart entry system can only be switched off by a dealer (Option C in the Vehicle customisation options). So I purchased a Faraday cage pouch, thinking that was the only way to protect the vehicle. I have now gone into the Vehicle customisation options in the car and found 'Disable Smart Entry' as the last entry in the set of vehicle options. So it can be switched off.

Once the system is disabled the 'unlock' button on the remote has to be pressed to gain entry into the car. No big deal. Unfortunately, it also means that 'push Start button and drive away' is also disabled. The manual does describe what now needs to be done (you are also given the same information on the car screen after Smart entry is disabled), but it is hidden away in a section labelled 'What to do if your key doesn't work'. It turns out that to start the car you have to physically touch the start button with the key while pressing the brake pedal. It then carries on as normal. Stopping it is the same as ever, with a button press. If I find this becomes a chore, I suppose I've always got the pouch to use.

I too have become concerned about this so i've gone as far as buying a couple of pouches to put the main fob and the spare fob when at home.

I'm not going to do anything more than that to be honest!

I do have a Corolla hybrid but the challenge between the your car and my car is no different.

you can also disable the fob from sending a signal via a key press sequence so there is no signal for criminals to relay. It will also extend the Battery life of that in your fob.

27 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

you can also disable the fob from sending a signal via a key press sequence so there is no signal for criminals to relay. It will also extend the battery life of that in your fob.

Hi Scott.

You seem an intelligent man to me and always give accurate and informative answers.

In your opinion do the Faraday Pouches work, i.e. do they stop the signal from the key, stop/start system stop your signal being amplified at the front door should a thief be trying to steal the car.

Many regards, Mike.

• Like 1

Hi Mike,

In theory what they do is prevent a signal from escaping from the pouch & therefore unable to be boosted/relayed by people stealing vehicles.

I don't claim to be an expert nor have I used any but from what I have read it seems that, like in most things, there are good & bad ones available for sale (also, that they have to be used correctly i.e. fully closed so that no signal can escape at any point). As I am known for believing in redundancy/backups I would probably disable the key fob sending via the key press sequence & then put in a Faraday pouch/biscuit tin etc. ... 😛

When I bought my latest Avensis I deliberately went for a lower spec. with a mechanical key rather than a smart fob (my previous T Spirit had smart fob but not one that you could stop sending via a key press sequence).

• Like 1

There is one easy way to test the pouches. Just put the key into one and try to get into your own car. When the car fails to open, take the key out of the pouch and open the car as normal. That is what I did and it worked perfectly. I'm satisfied they do what they say they do. I bought a pair from Amazon for a fiver. Just checked the reviews first to make sure they were OK. On one pouch with some negative reviews it was because that particular pouch had two pockets inside, one protected and the other not. Some people were using the wrong bit.

• Like 1

Hi Les.

May I say a very good answer from you and an obvious test that I overlooked.

Regards, Mike.

I was an automotive test engineer in another life.😊

I've used the key sequence to disable the fob for some time on my current and previous Toyotas (Toyota actually call it something like "Battery saver").  This has worked on a Gen 3 Prius, Gen 4 Prius and my current Gen 5 RAV4,

First lock or double lock the car.  Then, while pressing and holding the lock button, press the unlock button twice.  The little red light on the key gives two double flashes to confirm.  I just look for this to confirm it's worked, and it's become an automatic habit.  Easy enough to double check if in any doubt - put a hand in the handle and if the car doesn't unlock, it's worked.

It does mean you have to press a key on the fob to get into the car next time, but that's no problem (to me, anyway).

I've also put the spare key into battery saver mode.

A £90,000 Range Rover was recently stolen in my area while the key was said to be inside a Faraday pouch, it was suspected either the pouch was not sufficiently good quality or the spare key had not been protected or disabled.

Well I've tested the pouch I got today via Amazon and they work as expected, the car doesn't unlock/lock when pressing the buttons when in the pouch so it certainly won't unlock/start the car with any relay attacks.

The spare key is in another pouch so come at me thieves 😂

Obviously if they break into the house to get the keys then no pouch will stop that 😉

• 1 year later...

I have always been used to "press unlock button on car fob to enter car" so disabling the smart entry system was no chore to me at all.

I don't see pressing a button, placing my fob on the start button and depressing the brake as much of a chore myself.

It just depends how much you want to protect your vehicle.

If having it stolen does not bother you then keep smart entry active and trust your Faraday pouch.

If you care for it disable smart entry, keep your fob safe and perhaps invest in a disklok steering wheel lock and a police tracker.

Its all down to what you want..

My Wifes new 2020 RAV4 was stolen in her work car park, thieves followed her closely, parked close,  and got key signal before she put in pouch, 6 minutes later CCTV showed car was gone,  that's how thieves workaround pouch.  Luckily car was retrieved and we now use a steering lock and have a s7 insurance tracker and the Vodaphone curve tracker which is relatively cheap too. Also turned off Smart Entry. Thatcham research have rated the RAV4 poor for key security.

The advantage of a company car, I don't have to faff about with pouches and key sequences, or disabling handy features I have paid for... car get nicked I get a taxi home and wait for the company to get me a shiny new car.  NOT being critical of you guys trying to protect your property, it perfectly understandable. Just appreciative its something I don't need to worry about.

• 2 months later...

Just giving this a refresh to remind new owners that key-less car theft does not have to be a problem for XA-50 vehicles with smart entry. You don't need a Faraday pouch and you don't have to have the dealer disable smart entry. I was naive about this threat until I read an Honest John article which claimed that my 2019 Rav4 is one of the "10 worst vehicles" for remote key theft.

The answer (as described above) is to set the key fob(s) to Battery saving mode: it's described on page 206 of the e-Manual.

Battery Saving.JPG

This will stop thieves using the signal relay kit, for example when key is inside the house and active.
In the case described by alrazgoul2, thieves intercepted the key 'code' when car was locked and in this situation, the only way it could have been prevented if 'Smart Entry' was turned off.

When I want to disable the car (say, in a public car park) I park up with the car unlocked and get out. After closing the driver's door, I lock the car with the same initial key press that is used to start the battery-saving mode sequence. With a little practice, the 3 button presses can be entered into the key in uder a second. I have perfected the method so that I see the last of the four red flashes before the car locking sequence has completed. I get what happened to alrazgoul2's wife's car but I am sure that this method eliminates that particular vulnerability. I would be keen to hear from an alarm expert if this is not the case, however.

I guess they could still use a code grabber but in this regard I am no worse off than someone who has their smart entry system disabled. To get into my car without triggering the alarm would require mind-reading abilities and/or the possession (and simultaneous application) of equipment for both code grabbing and smart key theft. I've seen the double digit IQ pond life that steals car on Traffic Cops and somehow I just don't see them bothering with me when there is so much low-hanging fruit to be had. 

Always willing to learn.

You have two different attacks:

Replay attacks like rolljam and it’s variants have very low entry requirements, the hardware is very cheap and it’s easy to pull off. In simple terms, the owner goes to unlock the car and nothing happens, the owner clicks unlock again thinking it just didn’t register and it works, just one of those things right? Wrong. What happened is someone blocked the first and second unlock signal and recorded them. When the second press was recorded, the first signal was automatically replayed and now the car thief can unlock your car at a later date.

Relay attacks are a different beast, the kit costs thousands, even now. If the key is transmitting, it can be relayed which consists of someone standing close enough to the key to read it and re-transmit the code back to a receiver in the hands of an accomplice near the car. It’s a ‘live’ process, so if the key isn’t transmitting, it isn’t relayed, you need the key to be broadcasting in order to use it. Once the car is open and started, it’s drivable until the engine is turned off. Often the car will be moved to somewhere that’s quiet and left, in case it has a tracker.

While turning off keyless entry is going to help, it’s still susceptible to the much easier to do and cheaper to set-up rolljam attacks, physical security is probably worth considering.

Oh and for the record, this isn’t just a 4.5 issue, 4.4’s with keyless entry suffer the same issue and it can be disabled from the car settings under entry and start settings.

BCC88F63-6E43-4A99-9B97-23518004D945.jpeg

D94249AB-93B4-46EC-B816-0B9BC7915571.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

The pouch is useful to prevent the signal closing but it can't help if they get in via CAN bus and create/configure their own key. 

I have disabled the remote entry and use a krooklok always, a pain initially but it soon becomes normal. My neighbour with £130k worth of Range Rover uses a krooklok as well!

• 7 months later...

Hi

After reading about the theft of Range Rovers due to keyless entry I was alarmed (no pun intended). I found your answers both reasoned and informative so I’ve bought a Faraday box for the key fob and tested it and they do work, but the disablement of the keyless entry is to me, a bit of a Faff.

Toyota Rav 4 Hybrid 

Black edition 2022 model

9 hours ago, Brian Ridge said:

Hi

After reading about the theft of Range Rovers due to keyless entry I was alarmed (no pun intended). I found your answers both reasoned and informative so I’ve bought a faraday box for the key fob and tested it and they do work, but the disablement of the keyless entry is to me, a bit of a Faff.

Toyota Rav 4 Hybrid 

Black edition 2022 model

If the key is motionless then it's disabled anyway, the pouch is belt and braces. I use one at home all the time.

On 8/9/2019 at 3:12 PM, Mike169 said:

Hi Scott.

You seem an intelligent man to me and always give accurate and informative answers.

In your opinion do the Faraday Pouches work, i.e. do they stop the signal from the key, stop/start system stop your signal being amplified at the front door should a thief be trying to steal the car.

Many regards, Mike.

There is a potential issue with the Faraday pouches i.e. breakdown of the 'mesh' on the fold of the pouch.  I have purchased a few variants, followed the instructions i.e. used the correct pocket, and tested them next to the car after locking it.  Everything seemed to work as it should.  After several weeks the pouch stopped blocking the signal so switched to a spare pouch, same thing several weeks later.  The opening and closing of the pouch appears to break down that part of the mesh cage so if you use these you do need to test that it works on a regular basis e.g. with the key in the pouch check your door handle before taking the key out.  There are some hard case Faraday pouches bit they are a lot bulkier than the slimline pouches and don't fit into your pocket as easily.  For your spare keys, should be fine in the pouch if you leave it alone in the house, otherwise just stick your keys in a tin and/or locate them as far away from your car as possible.

Hmmm... if you are going to the trouble of taking a pouch out of your pocket, opening the pouch, putting the key in it, closing the pouch and putting the pouch in your pocket then why not just put the key to sleep manually and the question of whether or not the pouch works is academic.

• Like 1

At home I have fobs in the Faraday  pouchs and they go in the Faraday box,  when I'm out and about I just take the fob. Also I changed the settings for the fob using Carly that the keys are only detected if they are in the front seat region, so it must supposedly cut the transmitting power car or fob I don't know which,  but I haven't confirmed it due to the trial period has finished.

You could make one out of baking foil and duct tape! :laugh: