Do Not Sell My Personal Information

avensis exhaust replacement

davecullen6

Hi Folks.

My 06 Avensis seems to have holed its exhaust, it sounds, as far as I can tell crawling under it, to be coming from the mid point, rearwards after the CAT, it is blowing on tickover/blipping throttle and today on a run, there was a constant drone on the motorway, and no, it wasn't the wife!

Has anyone had one replaced lately, if so, where and how much?

It has to be done, but having had an interesting experience with my wife's fiesta on the dealer v aftermarket parts front, I might get it done by Toyota unless it is massively expensive, any advice appreciated, thank you.

Dave

What engine ?

There are a few options, and it depends where the suspected hole is located. If the exhaust is in good condition, and the hole is on the weld or very small, it could be patched or welded. If the exhaust is in bad condition, then I would the section that needs replacing. I changed the complete system on my old Mk1 a few years ago. I could have got the hole welded but it didn't cost the earth. I learnt a few lessons and got the car smooth, just by undoing the bolts and tighten in a way so resonance was reduced. The real concern is the quality of the replacement exhaust. That's why I mentioned welding. It costs little!  

A centre pipe from Klarius is about £45. Prob get a fitted price around £60. At Toyota expect to pay 4x this.

Check the joint at the back of the centre pipe. They are prone to failing. The sealing rings are £5-10.

I was quoted £72 plus vat for a rear silencer last week for my 2004 1.8 vvti. The garage managed to weld it so not needed. 

thanks for replies guys, much appreciated, I suspect I may go to my local decent tyre and exhaust place who have always been upfront with me, the exhaust is definitely holed, but I am just starting to wonder if there is something going on with the brakes, sounds like a rubbing noise but I can't place it, not overly loud, it was toyota serviced and mot'd in May with no issues, the brakes aren't binding, no warning lights, excessively hot discs, I am puzzled, the car just isn't as quiet running as it was, maybe it is all down to the exhaust?

dave 

Toyota only offer the exhaust in two parts :

17410-0D200 Front pipe £699 + vat

17430-0D220 Tail pipe £245 + vat

I'm sure non genuine suppliers would offer cut n shut replacements for the front pipe.

Untitled.png

Thanks for this, will advise of outcome

Although my car is a 2003, I had a similar issue and Harrison Brothers replaced mine for £110.

Centre pipe Klarius TY649H. £41.50 inc VAT at my local factor.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I had it sorted last Thursday, the exhaust was holed in the rear and middle section, the rumbling was a duff n/s front wheel bearing and it needed two new back tyres, they were, I think, the original Bridgestone Touranzas, and were well gone.

So total cost was £571, hopefully the CAT section won't go next, but, bearing in mind the car cost me a grand last July and apart from an MOT and a Toyota silver service, it has cost me nothing and been all over the country, (just back today from a 500 mile round trip), plus commuting and all the rest, I can probably live with it!

Will just forget about the alloys getting refurbed till next year

Dave