Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Opening and closing car

Cbatoday

Do all the corolla 2019 hybris keyless models have smart entry to the vehicle or do the 2 basic models have to be opened with the remote control fob and the excel and design open automatically with the fob in your pocket

I believe it is only the Excel that has smart entry ((keyless, fob in your pocket). The other three models, including the Design which I have, need remote control key fob operation to lock/unlock.

Keyless entry was on my 'must have list' when looking to replace my Jazz. When I first heard of it when buying the Jazz I dismissed it as a frippery for lazy people. But then I drove my Dad's car while on holiday and got irritated with having to take the keys from him, find the car key and even worse find a stupid slot in the steering column to insert the daft thing into. Then the remaining keys on the bunch would knock against my knee or the steering column as I drove.

Luckily my car is almost never left parked in a public area and is kept in a locked garage overnight. I have little reason to fear vehicle theft so can appreciate the freedom of just walking up to my car, opening the door and driving off without having to faff about with silly bits of metal or fobs 🤩

I certainly enjoy the benefit of remote central locking that we've all become used to in recent times, but I gladly put up with having to find the keyhole in the steering column (becomes natural after a while), rather than have to tolerate modern day technology which means cars are no longer secure without Faraday bags etc.  IMHO, we are being fobbed off by car manufacturers with car security which isn't fit for purpose, whatever the value of the car.

47 minutes ago, Notoyboy said:

I certainly enjoy the benefit of remote central locking that we've all become used to in recent times, but I gladly put up with having to find the keyhole in the steering column (becomes natural after a while), rather than have to tolerate modern day technology which means cars are no longer secure without Faraday bags etc.  IMHO, we are being fobbed off by car manufacturers with car security which isn't fit for purpose, whatever the value of the car.

'Fobbed off' - good one 🙂

I agree that they need to improve the technology but I'm sure they will. There were similar issues with remote key fobs when they first appeared but eventually rotating codes pretty much solved that. One simple solution for keyless entry is to have the fob go to sleep if it hasn't moved in a while. This should also have the advantage of making the Battery last longer. That shouldn't add much cost either since the technology is common in smartphones and easily implemented.

2 hours ago, AndrueC said:

One simple solution for keyless entry is to have the fob go to sleep if it hasn't moved in a while. This should also have the advantage of making the battery last longer. That shouldn't add much cost either since the technology is common in smartphones and easily implemented.

Toyota's current solution is to use a keypress sequence on the fob to deactivate it. Of course, that relies on the owner/driver actually using the provided facility.

5 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

Toyota's current solution is to use a keypress sequence on the fob to deactivate it. Of course, that relies on the owner/driver actually using the provided facility.

Well that's not really a solution, that's just disabling the functionality. It's good that they've provided that but having the fob go to sleep when stationary would allow owners to enjoy the benefits of keyless entry without compromising vehicle security.

Am I missing something obvious here?  Surely if the keyfob is sleeping then it won't work when you go to the car, and you'll need to get it out your pocket and press a button to wake it up - thus defeating the purpose.  Also, I'm pretty sure the keyfob on our formerly owned keyless entry Auris went to sleep after a couple of days or something.

1 hour ago, alan333 said:

Am I missing something obvious here?  Surely if the keyfob is sleeping then it won't work when you go to the car, and you'll need to get it out your pocket and press a button to wake it up - thus defeating the purpose.  Also, I'm pretty sure the keyfob on our formerly owned keyless entry Auris went to sleep after a couple of days or something.

Yes you're missing something. The fob goes to sleep while it's stationary. Or more accurately while it doesn't detect movement. All it needs is an acceleration sensor (something pretty much all smartphones have had for years). If there is no acceleration detected for - say - one minute and it's not being pinged by the car it goes to sleep. When it detects acceleration it wakes up.

I'm pretty sure you can't get to your car without triggering an acceleration sensor.

This technology is standard in all recent models of Android phones. It's part of the Doze battery saving technology. The remote I use for my TV etc. does the same thing. It's impossible to pick it up without the screen waking up.

Actually thinking about it a bit more there's still a loophole in that. Not a huge one as it will address 'drive-by' or spur of the moment theft. However a planned theft could see the booster being left in place all the time and then it can keep pinging the fob making it think it's in the car but the car is just stopped.

So I think the car needs to send a signal to the fob when the engine is stopped. After receiving that signal the fob stops caring about pings and will go to sleep after a minute of no motion regardless. That means a would be thief only has a minute to steal the vehicle. You can fix that, I think, by not allowing the car to be started within one minute of being switched off unless the key/fob is physically used to start it.

None of this sounds like difficult technology. And not really very expensive either. The problem is that motor manufacturers are notorious for shaving off every penny they can. Even if this only adds £1 to the cost of manufacturing a fob they will probably baulk.

4 hours ago, AndrueC said:

Actually thinking about it a bit more there's still a loophole in that. Not a huge one as it will address 'drive-by' or spur of the moment theft. However a planned theft could see the booster being left in place all the time and then it can keep pinging the fob making it think it's in the car but the car is just stopped.

So I think the car needs to send a signal to the fob when the engine is stopped. After receiving that signal the fob stops caring about pings and will go to sleep after a minute of no motion regardless. That means a would be thief only has a minute to steal the vehicle. You can fix that, I think, by not allowing the car to be started within one minute of being switched off unless the key/fob is physically used to start it.

None of this sounds like difficult technology. And not really very expensive either. The problem is that motor manufacturers are notorious for shaving off every penny they can. Even if this only adds £1 to the cost of manufacturing a fob they will probably baulk.

If you watch the youtube video Cbatoday has linked in this thread, the technology already exists. https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/189031-keyless-entry-theft/

All hybrid models are push-button start, so excluding the Excel model, do you still need to put a key in the ignition or are they keyless ignitions?

The model I test drove was an Excel and it didn't even cross my mind to ask.

All spec hybrids are keyless ignitions

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links