Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

B1660 P seat airbag active mode indicator - 83950-02050 issue

mATEx

Hi there, I was trying to figure out my Corolla E15 2009 code "B1660 P seat airbag active mode indicator". Without much details, the problem was in the indicator panel 83950-02050 above the ash tray. Fault was intermittent and found out that this was a poor soldering in my case. After slight hitting on the panel, the ON/Adult only indicator went ON and fault was cleared after restarting. But after some more hits and taps, fault occured again.

I have removed the PCB from the indicator panel and the indicator went on after touching the resistors. When I measured the resistance of these parallel 500Ohm resistors, resistance was changed based on pressure made with the ohm meter probes. Added some solder and made the better joints of the resistors. Problem fixed in my case.

p.s. other two resistors were later resoldered as well - just in case as they seemed to have less glossy solder.

I am a skilled technician so don't try doing it - I am not responsible for any harm or damage.

83950-02050.jpg

Nice work finding the problem which I would guess was one off rather than a stock fault. Lead free solder can often have a dull appearance and so that in itself is nothing to worry over.

2 hours ago, Mooly said:

Nice work finding the problem which I would guess was one off rather than a stock fault. Lead free solder can often have a dull appearance and so that in itself is nothing to worry over.

Sure, was probably one off. There are applications, where the solder has to contain lead. As this is a critical safety component for the srs system, I would not like to have an issue with weak solder in the moment of impact. Not sure why the big smd resistors has a different solder. Solder looks more glossy on the rest of the smds.

Well done (again 😉). I've not had a VFD clock display in a car since a Carina from the 1990's. Get those joints reflowed. Excellent.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links