Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Back Seat Removal

YarisShan

Hello fellow Yaris owners!

I'm trying to change my fuel pump and know it's under the backseat but I can't seem to get the backseats' cushion off. The service manual says the seat should "lift up" but i've tried even putting a metal pole for leverage and cannot get the cushion to pop off. Has anyone successfully removed their back seat cushions? Is there a lock or something?

It's a 2008 Yaris YR Hatch.

Of no help to you but I asked this ages ago and didn't receive any answers. All I could find by searching Youtube etc., was the same as you, is that it just needs a sharp tug upwards to release two fixings. I've tried this and applying some leverage with a pry bar, to no avail. I don't want to break anything by using excessive force. I've even inserted a small usb camera where the fixings are located but that didn't reveal anything constructive.

I have a manual, but not all pictures are loading + it's partially in Russian

Maybe you can piece it using the removal link the manuals  for installation and removal

https://www.autocats.ws/manual/toyota/Yaris_90/PZ471-Z00S0-CS/rm00s3ru/MANUAL.HTM/rm00s3e/repair2/html/frame_rm000000sl5005x.html

https://www.autocats.ws/manual/toyota/Yaris_90/PZ471-Z00S0-CS/rm00s3ru/MANUAL.HTM/rm00s3e/repair2/html/frame_rm000000sl801yx.html

image.thumb.png.37245b7a8da633d6e075e7ec0fc2d19e.png

Hi, there are two options, depending on Year.

a) Grip the fwd edge and sharp tug upwards should do it.

b) On the L/H seat there are two mounts, release the Plastic trim covers (3 hooks on each) and expose the mount (Torx) bolts. 2 on outer foot, 1 on inner...

Thanks to both. There are definitely no fixing bolts/screws so it must be the "sharp tug" method. As mentioned, I have looked with a small u.s.b. camera. However, tried the tug and the seat base will not release. It just bends even when gripped where the fixings can be seen. Careful prying at those points also doesn't release the fixings.

Not sure how relevant this is, but I had to remove the rear bench of my Avensis Mk3 Tourer. You have to use a lot of force, quick pull movement to lift the bench from the fixing points.

Here is my post to give you an idea - 

Hope this helps.  

Thanks for that, Konrad. From what I could see using the camera, my seat base looks to be secured in exactly the same way. They are very useful pictures. I'm probably not pulling hard enough!

That copper coloured "frame" does look quite weak and easily bent though.

I'll try again.👍

• 1 year later...

Hi: Here is a Youtube video which shows a small latch under the rear seat in 2019 Yaris sedan which is easily accessible but does hold down the seat and needs to be unlatched while you put pressure on top of the seat cushion.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY3ZoE7rZrY

4 hours ago, Ramondo3 said:

Hi: Here is a Youtube video which shows a small latch under the rear seat in 2019 Yaris sedan which is easily accessible but does hold down the seat and needs to be unlatched while you put pressure on top of the seat cushion.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY3ZoE7rZrY

If this is the US version of the Yaris sedan, which is Mazda 2 based, Europe doesn't have the same version.

16 hours ago, flash22 said:

I'm sure the OP has this sorted by now 🤐

I haven't.😂 It refuses to release. Given up now in case I break something! Even resorted to a pry bar where the fixings are located. Must be welded in.🙄

Thanks Bob. Tried that and can see the fixing points, see previous, using a tiny u.s.b. inspection camera.

Two hands with fingers on either side under the seat base front, sharp tug, result is a distorted seat and sore fingers!

That's odd, there is a knack to it tho

I take it that its a 60/40 split rear seat

here are some pics the clips line up with the plastic studs on each side if it's never been off it will be very stiff the pack and 12V live under the back seat on the hybrid as such it will get removed more

1869789756_IMG_1575(Medium).thumb.JPG.49d74e5f91c305ee488adb0a6681e9a8.JPG

450943_IMG_1577(Medium).thumb.JPG.05556d22f86f62a2ff8a2b9f419ccaf4.JPG

462767465_IMG_1578(Medium).thumb.JPG.5e011233274f93ddb7a844c98847b07a.JPG

Yes, 60/40. Thanks for the pictures, very useful to fully see what's actually holding the base. I'll have another attempt after working up the enthusiasm!👍

• 2 months later...

Can confirm clips are VERY TIGHT it will feel like you are breaking it, grab both sides of each clip and get tugging , it will eventually come off 

• 6 months later...

I have removed mine too, so I can inspect the filter, but I don't seem to be able to clip it back. I have pushed from all the sides and simply doesn't click. Is a specific method for this?

You need to make sure the back is in place properly and the buckles are in the right place the fronts should line up then push down

I clicked it. I had to put pressure on the front edges of the seat. 

• 1 year later...

I know this is a few years old, but just in case anyone else stumbles across this in 2022+... I've been trying to get mine out for ages too—2015 yaris hatchback with 40/60 seat and no release bar thingie like the 2019s. Sharp tugging with hands on either side of the clip did nothing, and the seat was starting to bend. Used a short pry bar/crow bar directly in front of the clip (feel about with your fingers to line it up)—a sharp push downward on the pry bar popped them right out with no damage!