Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Creaking brakes when at low speeds

bewA

When driving my car at low speeds e.g. less than 5mph when parking the brakes are quite creaky.

Does anyone have this, is it normal?

Could be that the pads are bedding in or if you arent applying enough force the car will creep forward and make this noise

Do you mean when using brakes at slow speeds, or you mean  hearing the brakes while driving?

Creaking brakes can be a nuisance for some, but it does not affect how they perform.

There were recalls in the past for squeaky pads when braking, where people also complained about squeaking.

If i don't press the brakes firmly, mine would also squeak just before it comes to full stop

Since the removal of certain harmful materials. Asbestos being one brake manufactures have found it difficult to get a good friction material that doesnt squeak

i only hear the braking when i'm creeping forward e.g. when i'm adjusting during parking.  I don't hear them creak at any other times when driving.

I guess it could be bedding in, i'm only just under 1k miles and the manual does reference bedding in advice for engine/brakes.

If its the hybrid then the discs can start to get a thin film of oxide (rust) on them as regen does most of the breaking especially if your not break happy!

I was advised to do a little bit of hard breaking once a week to clean them up. Long term its not uncommon for them to get badly corroded if you dont   break hard.

11 minutes ago, PACorolla said:

If its the hybrid then the discs can start to get a thin film of oxide (rust) on them as regen does most of the breaking especially if your not break happy!

I was advised to do a little bit of hard breaking once a week to clean them up. Long term its not uncommon for them to get badly corroded if you dont break hard.

i'll keep that in mind but i'm doing 40 miles a day, 5 days a week so it's not like the car is sitting for a few days...

This is normal operation of the brakes on any automatic car, where there is a friction there is a noise too. It’s not because of anything wrong with them, braking hard will not help to clean the discs if you don’t drive the car regularly, pads especially before bed in process is complete are in constant contact with discs , then after you have bedded in correctly the tolerance between pads and discs are so small that driving a car once a week for a 20 miles is enough to keep them clean. If you get rusty discs that is almost certainly mean you have sliding pins rusted too so taking everything apart , cleaning and lubricating is the most. If you drive the car once in a while do not wash it very often, car washes are biggest enemy to car brakes. At the end you are talking about new cars here , don’t worry just drive and enjoy them, even you drive once a week you will be good for a year or two before you really need to look for a brake service or issue. 🤙

Regards 

• Like 1

I think you are describing 'creep groan' - this is very low speed brake noise on auto trans cars and is due to stick-slip between the pad and disc. It is extremely difficult to engineer out of the brake system and most auto transmission cars will make this noise under some circumstances.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrfixer said:

I think you are describing 'creep groan' - this is very low speed brake noise on auto trans cars and is due to stick-slip between the pad and disc. It is extremely difficult to engineer out of the brake system and most auto transmission cars will make this noise under some circumstances.

If that's how it is and how it works then that's cool and all the answer i need 🙂

Thank you all for your contributions 🙂

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links