Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2007 avensis sat nav.

8shot

Hi guys im strugling to use my sat nav. If I use the imput post code option I can only enter the first 3 letters and numbers.  Say I wanted to go to tq4 7pt

It will only allow me to put in the tq4 and not the rest. 

Is this right? And if it is has anyone hacked it to put a tom tom in its place ?

I hope this post makes sense im not very good at explaining things. 

Thanks. 

are you inputting the space? what version maps/firmware is it running? Assuming that it is a TNS700 it is certainly capable of 6 fig post code.

The satnav in my Citroen only allowed partial postcodes. Apparently, it is cheaper than buying the full postcode database. I never had my satnav work in the Toyota, so I can't compare mine for you.

I would not bother with updates, but your version is more updated than mine which uses latitude and longitude. I never use but it is useful to have home set up for emergencies. The map images are so poor I would not bother.i prefer my Garmin nuvi which is also as old but clear maps though I find google maps awkward.

I think the CD drive is under passengers seat for maps, though not sure.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, m456an said:

If it is a TNS700 it is behind the screen (it folds down) & is a DVD.

• Confused 1

On 8/14/2019 at 7:30 AM, m456an said:

I would not bother with updates, but your version is more updated than mine which uses latitude and longitude. I never use but it is useful to have home set up for emergencies. The map images are so poor I would not bother.i prefer my Garmin nuvi which is also as old but clear maps though I find google maps awkward.

I don't have the nav version of my car and from what I have read about Toyota nav systems, they will always be well out of date. I use my phones as navigation, which is integrated via the bluetooth. I use Here (formerly Nokia) Maps on my Windows phone, that works with the voice only built in bluetooth. Android only allows phone calls, so doesn't work. Since Here Maps stopped traffic updates on Here drive, I now use the Android (Samsung) version via my Bluetooth/USB adapter plugged in to the CD changer port. Android (and iOS) version of maps gets traffic updates.
Here maps is like TomTom where you can download and store maps of the country for free. I also use Google drive, but it doesn't show speed limit of the road you are travelling on, if you missed the signs, plus it doesn't always give a second (reminder) instruction when to turn. Also Google only saves sections of areas that are deleted after a time. Google doesn't work in dead signal areas, so make sure you download areas just in case! Not an issue with Here Maps. I have tried Waze, but don't like it at all. TomTom though good, is limited free use, then you have to pay a subscription fee!
Unlike Toyotas clunky system, but like TomTom, Here and Google, full postcodes are used to enter destinations. One major advantage, is you can give voice commands to go to an address while on the road. I used it recently and it was brilliant. Can't do that with the old Toyota systems.

6 minutes ago, Konrad C said:

Unlike Toyotas clunky system, but like TomTom, Here and Google, full postcodes are used to enter destinations.

At least from TNS700 (so 2007 Avensis like my 57 plate) Avensis satnavs have full post code input & tbh I don't find the systems clunky (& I have had TNS700, Touch and Go Plus & now Touch 2 with Go). Are they perfect no, do they have foibles, yes but imo they are perfectly usable if people take the time to learn them ...

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

At least from TNS700 (so 2007 Avensis like my 57 plate) Avensis satnavs have full post code input & tbh I don't find the systems clunky (& I have had TNS700, Touch and Go Plus & now Touch 2 with Go). Are they perfect no, do they have foibles, yes but imo they are perfectly usable if people take the time to learn them ...

Very true. I have had to show people how to work the satnav and other features in their cars of various makes. Some people are not as tech savvy and want an easy way to set up and operate things. Also you get the odd person who doesn't know or use the full postcode, but that is rare these days. 

I think Google maps works better in a vertical position. Also if a road is closed and you follow another road trying to get another route it takes you back to the closed road. Taking about Japanese GPS systems the Sony psp GPS add on was great, if they had that on the 2007<><>