Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Diesel v Petrol

Mr Wolf

Back in January 2017 I part-exchanged my March 2015 Kia Ceed 1.6 CRDi Sportswagon 2 for my current Avensis which was also registered in March 2015. The Kia had done 14K miles and Avensis 26K miles. The main reason for changing cars was I thought petrol was a better bet for me than diesel.

Today I checked Auto Trader valuations to see how both cars had fared since January 2017. Must say I was very surprised to discover that my Avensis was quoted at just about the same price as I paid more for it some 2.5 years ago. At that time my Avensis was certainly not overpriced.

The Kia had not fared as well. Its current retail price to buy is £1,800 less than the trade-in value I received 2.5 years ago. At that time I noticed the garage selling my Kia were offering it at £1,700 above the trade-in price I got. All this suggests the Kia has depreciated by more than £3,000, and hard to believe my Avensis by very little if anything.

My experiences here prove nothing, but support my decision in changing from diesel to petrol from a depreciation view at least.

• Like 1

No surprise...Toyota has always been one of the best marques for holding value..and reliability of course.

Diesels have had such a bad press over the recent years (VW/dieselgate etc.) so there is an inevitability of increased depreciation generally across all marques.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links