Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris SR180 will not start

Antlee

Hi was wondering if anyone could help me please, i finished work today and got in my car and tried to start it but it didnt start , all the lights come on the dash and electric windows work, but there is nothing when i try to start it, not a single sound.

When you try to start.... do the dashboard lights go dim?

My first thought is the ignition switch, a common Toyota failing. I believe the switch is the same design used from the 90's, as my previous '98 Avensis had a similar failure. The switch can be changed without removing the whole barrel. It is plastic with the cables plugs into it. it is fixed to the barrel by one or two screws. The cowling will need to be removed first. 

The lights stay bright and the electricals all work, meaning the Battery is good. If it dims, as Joe mentions, then it could be the starter motor or Battery not strong enough!    

Edited by Konrad C
Additional information
  • Thanks 1

Traditional key or Keyless ignition?

Is there anything like a carpet mat obstructing / ridden up under the clutch pedal as if so it may be preventing the clutch pedal switch from being pressed?

If its keyless is the steering lock releasing when the ignition is on, if not try moving the steering wheel to the side whilst turning on the ignition?

If keyless try holding the key partially over the start switch as you switch the ignition on.

I managed to get my car to a garage and they seem to think it needs a new starter motor, Konrad C never thought about the ignition switch, when i switch the ignition on all the lights come on and the electric windows work but when i press the clutch to start it the speedo lights go off but eveything else still works

On 8/17/2019 at 10:48 PM, Antlee said:

I managed to get my car to a garage and they seem to think it needs a new starter motor, Konrad C never thought about the ignition switch, when i switch the ignition on all the lights come on and the electric windows work but when i press the clutch to start it the speedo lights go off but eveything else still works

If your car dials work similar to my Avensis, the illumination goes out during the start process, the comes back on after starting. If the clutch pedal is not pressed when you try to start, the dials stay illuminated all the time. That eliminates the clutch inhibitor. So I go with either the ignition switch if standard, keyless not working properly, or the starter. The starter will be the worse scenario, because access to the starter is known to be a nightmare!  

Cheers guys got it sorted now, was the starter motor  😞 had a new one fitted this morning 🙂

• Like 1