Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2015 avensis 2 litre using oil (bmw engine)

bigmoxy

Hi 

Does anyone have any problems with the oil level on a 2015 2 litre business edition avensis. With no obvious leaks it’s using about 2.5 litres of oil every 3000 miles. Exhaust looks clean and power appears normal. Oil inside the filler cap also looks ok. If a little black. 

With 8500 miles to go to a previous service the oil light came on and it needed 5 litres of oil. It’s just happened again 3500 miles after the most recent service. It’s only done 67000 miles. 

Oil burning seems to be a problem on a lot of modern BMW engines. BMW set the limit at 1 litre per 500 miles, so yours is within their limits. Make sure the crankcase ventilation is clear and you are using the correct grade of oil.   Other than this its probably a new engine!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello
I have same problem. Avensis 2016, 2ww engine, 2 liters, 96000 km when was buyed ,now 120000 km.
For the first day when was buyed, the car eat oil , more or less 700-800ml / 1000 km ( sorry for european
unit).I have warranty from 200.000 km , but because I worked in another country is a little difficult to
do an atent and complet research to see where is a problem.I suspect the turbo charger, but is neccessary to investigate.
Is incredible that a good car have this problem, and not only engine: EPB issues, rust, ecc. My previus car was avensis t22 SW
500.000 km, good condition.
Any oppinions?

• 9 months later...

Toyota Avensis 2.0 D4D with 2WW BMW N47 engine the worst car ever owned. Problems started after around 100.000 miles with excessive oil consumption. 3-4 liters of oil in not more than 6000 miles. Then obviously DPF issues appears. Errors like

P1438 Diesel Particulate Filter Overload

P1443 Particulate Filter Lamp Overload Inhibit Regeneration

P1474 Jammed Valve During Offset Learning

Engine management on with a lack of power.

Tried to clean the DPF with different solutions like Terraclean but doesn't work just money spent.

Then other issues appears and faulty messages in the central dash like " stop & start system malfunction. Inspect a dealer" , " Check Pre-Crash safety" , "Check parking brake system".

It is a absolutely nightmare all the dash is full with errors like a Christmas tree.

More Malfunction errors :

P0704 Clutch Switch Input Circuit

P0299 Turbocharger/Supercharger "A" Underboost Condition

C1201 Engine Control System Malfunction

C1207 Gear position signal malfunction

My first and last Toyota . Reliability with Toyota it's just a fairy tale. Parts are very expensive and main dealers are useless. Don't touch this brand.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CosminL said:

Toyota Avensis 2.0 D4D with 2WW BMW N47 engine the worst car ever owned. Problems started after around 100.000 miles with excessive oil consumption. 3-4 liters of oil in not more than 6000 miles. Then obviously DPF issues appears. Errors like

Tried to clean the DPF with different solutions like Terraclean but doesn't work just money spent.

Then other issues appears and faulty messages in the central dash like " stop & start system malfunction. Inspect a dealer" , " Check Pre-Crash safety" , "Check parking brake system".

It is a absolutely nightmare all the dash is full with errors like a Christmas tree.

My first and last Toyota . Reliability with Toyota it's just a fairy tale. Parts are very expensive and main dealers are useless. Don't touch this brand.

Surely it should be 'don't touch a BMW', as that is where this troublesome engine originated from? Our 2012 Avensis with the earlier Toyota-designed 2.0 diesel engine has been faultless. I wouldn't touch anything with a BMW engine in it either!

• Like 3

The BMW N47 does seem to be a particularly troublesome engine.  In general though petrol engines are more reliable than modern diesels - largely because diesels are more complex.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2020 at 6:24 PM, yossarian247 said:

Surely it should be 'don't touch a BMW', as that is where this troublesome engine originated from? Our 2012 Avensis with the earlier Toyota-designed 2.0 diesel engine has been faultless. I wouldn't touch anything with a BMW engine in it either!

If Cosmin had bought a petrol variant or one of Toyota hybrid models, or a trouble free car, he might have had a different outlook about Toyota. Toyota are not perfect, but to say 'I never buy a certain brand again' is a little drastic. Toyota had good diesel engines, but stopped when they switch their attention to hybrid. Personally I would never buy a diesel car, and with the London ULEZ increasing, there is no incentive. The BMW diesel engines was only a stopgap to meet euro6 emissions, for the Avensis and Auris until they were fazed out. 
I hope Cosmin gets his car sorted.  

1 hour ago, Konrad C said:

If Cosmin had bought a petrol variant or one of Toyota hybrid models, or a trouble free car, he might have had a different outlook about Toyota. Toyota are not perfect, but to say 'I never buy a certain brand again' is a little drastic. Toyota had good diesel engines, but stopped when they switch their attention to hybrid. Personally I would never buy a diesel car, and with the London ULEZ increasing, there is no incentive. The BMW diesel engines was only a stopgap to meet euro6 emissions, for the Avensis and Auris until they were fazed out. 
I hope Cosmin gets his car sorted.  

Yes agreed. I'm biased as having had some previous experience with certain German cars turning into unreliable money pits I was very dismayed when I first heard that Toyota were to begin using BMW diesel engines. Not that recent Toyota designed diesel engines have been totally trouble free either of course, but our Avensis has honestly been the most reliable car I've ever owned (i know I shouldnt tempt fate by saying that..) I really wish Toyota had produced an Avensis hybrid as I would quite happily have bought one. I bet a load of taxi drivers would too!

1 hour ago, yossarian247 said:

Yes agreed. I'm biased as having had some previous experience with certain German cars turning into unreliable money pits I was very dismayed when I first heard that Toyota were to begin using BMW diesel engines. Not that recent Toyota designed diesel engines have been totally trouble free either of course, but our Avensis has honestly been the most reliable car I've ever owned (i know I shouldnt tempt fate by saying that..) I really wish Toyota had produced an Avensis hybrid as I would quite happily have bought one. I bet a load of taxi drivers would too!

In my area there are lots of Corolla estates used as PHV in my area of Greater London/Kent. I saw one of the first in the show room last year - 

• Like 1

The current Prius, Corolla saloon and Corolla Touring Sport have the same size wheelbase as the Avensis, and these three plus the Camry are Toyota's replacements covering the gap left by the Avensis.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 6/28/2020 at 6:24 PM, yossarian247 said:

Agree I had avensis for 15 years over 400000 klm no problems, bought 2015 avensis with bmw engine  OST me so far over 2000 e. Toyota dealer useless.  Toyota motto reliability and customer care gone,

On 6/28/2020 at 3:02 PM, CosminL said:

Just found news paper article here in Ireland which states at least 20 cases with solicitors  against bmw re the n47 engine 

Toyota is probably the best automaker in the world at the moment, the only company that offers modern and reliable internal combustion engines, the rest are just pure garbage, I believe you just had wrong choice of engine. If you had 2015 Avensis 1.8 petrol would likely be a very different story. 

On 6/28/2020 at 3:02 PM, CosminL said:

hello i wonder have i got this engine. my car is a 2014 toyota avensis business edt 2.0d4d and the engine code is 1ADFTV .my car had got 41k on it now and yes it has the dpf in it also 

On 8/19/2019 at 12:56 AM, bigmoxy said:

Hi 

Does anyone have any problems with the oil level on a 2015 2 litre business edition avensis. With no obvious leaks it’s using about 2.5 litres of oil every 3000 miles. Exhaust looks clean and power appears normal. Oil inside the filler cap also looks ok. If a little black. 

With 8500 miles to go to a previous service the oil light came on and it needed 5 litres of oil. It’s just happened again 3500 miles after the most recent service. It’s only done 67000 miles. 

how many miles are on your car now. i wonder dose my car have this engine. its a 2014 toyota avensis business edt 2.0d4d with engine code 1ADFTV 

The AD series engine was a Toyota engine, not BMW.

The BMW N47 engine used by Toyota was known as the WW series.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

hello all

I'm return with same problem: My Avensis 2016 N47 engine eat oil, more or less 0.9 liter/ 1000 km. of course DPF full. Is a nightmare, the price of toyota for any little intervention, spare parts ecc is absolutely ridiculous . My problem is my car HAVE warranty but appear to be very very difficult to resolve something in toyota service. I read more forum from different country Italy, France, UK...the same problems for more owners: is only marketing, the most acclaimed "toyota for you" is a marketing, the reality is very crude. To be short, appear very clear: toyota have a reputation to try to bypass the obligation to repair the cars in warranty period. Ok, they do something, but with difficult and more time consuming for clients. I make a little investigations, if somebody want to talk with toyota europe, is very difficult, and in final the responsibility is pass to toyota local country. Only one person in 100 goes to court to solve the problem, and even if a clear decision is reached, which gives justice to the client, the construction company solves the problems with great difficulty. 

A few words about the quality of toyota cars, the current ones. My actual avensis is the second Totota car, the first was, is, a t22, a legendary car 500.000 km and in good shape, but is euro 3. The avensis t29, n47 engine it is a car with a general quality well below the standard in which this car is, the toyota limousine for europe. 

To return to my problem, unfortunately there is no solution. I have to pay personally exorbitant amounts if I want to solve the problem of oil consumption. Of course it is a waste of money and time, the car loses value constantly over time, in addition I can not sell it in its current state without losing a huge amount of money.

On 3/11/2021 at 12:50 AM, FROSTYBALLS said:

The AD series engine was a Toyota engine, not BMW.

The BMW N47 engine used by Toyota was known as the WW series.

thanks great to know as if i hear gives bother its down the road and back to vw group cars lol .had a 2004 seat toledo 1.9tdi for 11 years it was still going great when i got rid of it .im tbh im a bother about cars as long as they dont give bother and well cheap enough to run. im a a to b kinda guy lol

On 5/22/2021 at 10:13 AM, hadriano said:

hello all

I'm return with same problem: My Avensis 2016 N47 engine eat oil, more or less 0.9 liter/ 1000 km. of course DPF full. Is a nightmare, the price of toyota for any little intervention, spare parts ecc is absolutely ridiculous . My problem is my car HAVE warranty but appear to be very very difficult to resolve something in toyota service. I read more forum from different country Italy, France, UK...the same problems for more owners: is only marketing, the most acclaimed "toyota for you" is a marketing, the reality is very crude. To be short, appear very clear: toyota have a reputation to try to bypass the obligation to repair the cars in warranty period. Ok, they do something, but with difficult and more time consuming for clients. I make a little investigations, if somebody want to talk with toyota europe, is very difficult, and in final the responsibility is pass to toyota local country. Only one person in 100 goes to court to solve the problem, and even if a clear decision is reached, which gives justice to the client, the construction company solves the problems with great difficulty. 

A few words about the quality of toyota cars, the current ones. My actual avensis is the second Totota car, the first was, is, a t22, a legendary car 500.000 km and in good shape, but is euro 3. The avensis t29, n47 engine it is a car with a general quality well below the standard in which this car is, the toyota limousine for europe. 

To return to my problem, unfortunately there is no solution. I have to pay personally exorbitant amounts if I want to solve the problem of oil consumption. Of course it is a waste of money and time, the car loses value constantly over time, in addition I can not sell it in its current state without losing a huge amount of money.

If the car still under warranty push as much as you can to resolve your problem. Other option if you want to fix it yourself is to research bmw forums for the same problem of the same engine and see if anything can help reduce oil consumption without expensive engine rebuild, positive crank case ventilation filter and pcv valve, to be checked and replaced as first steps if you decide to go that way. Toyota are good cars with some exceptions and your model and engine are unfortunately exactly these. , 2013-2018 some Toyota models are not the best quality products of the company. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

hello all

I found a method to "force" the car to initiate the regeneration. The problem is if the car have same error code, not important what error,  the ECU doesn't command the normal regeneration process. This is first, second, is necessarily to go with car in highway, not more rev, maybe 2200-2400 but 110-120 km/h. 

I have a bluetooth obd and a software in my telephone. I monitories a few parameters, one is exhaust temperature bank a, b, however. After 5 km the car have 450-500 Celsius degree. I go in a software section where is possible to read and clear the P error. And I do the clear 10-20-30 time one after other. Only clean without read. In this time the error DPF full disappear,  but if I don't do immediately another and another clear command the error is present. After more clear I feel the car have a different ..sound. Ok, I go quickly in the section of monitoring of parameters and ..voila...the exhaust temperature is 610-620. The car is in regeneration mode. 

after that the error message on the monitor disappeared. Obviously  the filter is not empty but for the moment after few days of driving the problems is gone. I had the error message from months...  

• 3 months later...

update news

My cars is in toyota garage. they do now the engine intervention. Is all make in pices, I am worried about how the engine will be reassembled :). they tell me not found nothing clear to understand why engine comsume such more oil, will be changed the rings, oil pump ??, egr with heat exchenger ( toyota recall), cleaning, ecc. My car has been in the garage for 2 and a half months. I clean myself DFP. the initial DFP was  138mbar....very very more, now 8 :)

• 4 months later...

Have you solved the problem with oil consumption in your car? I also have an n47 engine and absolutely the same problem you had, from oil consumption, then clogged dpf and everything else. If you solved it, I'd like to know what the problem was and let me start solving it. Only when I realized that it doesn't consume oil is somewhere in the first 2000km when I put in new oil. I'm waiting for the new PCV Valve to arrive. we had opened it and the rubber was hard as stone.

9 hours ago, hrvoje05 said:

Have you solved the problem with oil consumption in your car? I also have an n47 engine and absolutely the same problem you had, from oil consumption, then clogged dpf and everything else. If you solved it, I'd like to know what the problem was and let me start solving it. Only when I realized that it doesn't consume oil is somewhere in the first 2000km when I put in new oil. I'm waiting for the new PCV Valve to arrive. we had opened it and the rubber was hard as stone.

well i dont have one of those engines i have the 1014 2.0 1adftv engine and well on my last car a vw 1.9tdi engine i ran the pcv from the rocker cover to the bottom of the engine let it run on the ground and well i put a small air filter on the other end going into the air intake . or just block it off whatever u like . well im going to do this to my engine when the weather gets good because thats a **** design of dirty oil etc going into the air intake of the engine and running threw the turbo etc. i have a few other mods to do to a diesel engine but my other ones i cant do noting as my car has a **** dpf on it so cant bypass the egr 

• 1 month later...
On 2/6/2022 at 12:57 AM, 2009joe said:

well i dont have one of those engines i have the 1014 2.0 1adftv engine and well on my last car a vw 1.9tdi engine i ran the pcv from the rocker cover to the bottom of the engine let it run on the ground and well i put a small air filter on the other end going into the air intake . or just block it off whatever u like . well im going to do this to my engine when the weather gets good because thats a **** design of dirty oil etc going into the air intake of the engine and running threw the turbo etc. i have a few other mods to do to a diesel engine but my other ones i cant do noting as my car has a **** dpf on it so cant bypass the egr 

I changed the pcv valve but everything is the same....

The car normally smokes nothing and goes normally. What sometimes gets weird, about once every two weeks, and I may have noticed that when I drive higher in the city and stand idle, is that the car changes the sound, not from the engine but from the exhaust.

The car starts to sound like some kind of sports car, already at 2000rpm, farting an ugly sound. And after I stand idle, it smokes from the exhaust and stinks.

I have to mention that the dpf has been removed, so otherwise the car sounds a little louder, but nothing like driving a !Removed!.

And now, I come home, park, turn off the car and tomorrow when I drive again in the coming days, everything is normal, without strange sounds.

Does anyone have an explanation or idea what's going on?

• Like 1