Sign in to follow this  
bigmoxy

2015 avensis 2 litre using oil (bmw engine)

Hi 

Does anyone have any problems with the Oil level on a 2015 2 litre business edition avensis. With no obvious leaks it’s using about 2.5 litres of Oil every 3000 miles. Exhaust looks clean and power appears normal. Oil inside the filler cap also looks ok. If a little black. 

With 8500 miles to go to a previous service the Oil light came on and it needed 5 litres of Oil. It’s just happened again 3500 miles after the most recent service. It’s only done 67000 miles. 

Oil burning seems to be a problem on a lot of modern BMW engines. BMW set the limit at 1 litre per 500 miles, so yours is within their limits. Make sure the crankcase ventilation is clear and you are using the correct grade of Oil.   Other than this its probably a new engine!

Hello
I have same problem. Avensis 2016, 2ww engine, 2 liters, 96000 km when was buyed ,now 120000 km.
For the first day when was buyed, the car eat Oil , more or less 700-800ml / 1000 km ( sorry for european
unit).I have warranty from 200.000 km , but because I worked in another country is a little difficult to
do an atent and complet research to see where is a problem.I suspect the turbo charger, but is neccessary to investigate.
Is incredible that a good car have this problem, and not only engine: EPB issues, rust, ecc. My previus car was avensis t22 SW
500.000 km, good condition.
Any oppinions?

Toyota Avensis 2.0 D4D with 2WW BMW N47 engine the worst car ever owned. Problems started after around 100.000 miles with excessive Oil consumption. 3-4 liters of Oil in not more than 6000 miles. Then obviously DPF issues appears. Errors like

P1438 Diesel Particulate Filter Overload

P1443 Particulate Filter Lamp Overload Inhibit Regeneration

P1474 Jammed Valve During Offset Learning

Engine management on with a lack of power.

Tried to clean the DPF with different solutions like Terraclean but doesn't work just money spent.

Then other issues appears and faulty messages in the central dash like " stop & start system malfunction. Inspect a dealer" , " Check Pre-Crash safety" , "Check parking brake system".

It is a absolutely nightmare all the dash is full with errors like a Christmas tree.

More Malfunction errors :

P0704 Clutch Switch Input Circuit

P0299 Turbocharger/Supercharger "A" Underboost Condition

C1201 Engine Control System Malfunction

C1207 Gear position signal malfunction

My first and last Toyota . Reliability with Toyota it's just a fairy tale. Parts are very expensive and main dealers are useless. Don't touch this brand.

3 hours ago, CosminL said:

Toyota Avensis 2.0 D4D with 2WW BMW N47 engine the worst car ever owned. Problems started after around 100.000 miles with excessive oil consumption. 3-4 liters of oil in not more than 6000 miles. Then obviously DPF issues appears. Errors like

P1438 Diesel Particulate Filter Overload

P1443 Particulate Filter Lamp Overload Inhibit Regeneration

P1474 Jammed Valve During Offset Learning

Engine management on with a lack of power.

Tried to clean the DPF with different solutions like Terraclean but doesn't work just money spent.

Then other issues appears and faulty messages in the central dash like " stop & start system malfunction. Inspect a dealer" , " Check Pre-Crash safety" , "Check parking brake system".

It is a absolutely nightmare all the dash is full with errors like a Christmas tree.

More Malfunction errors :

P0704 Clutch Switch Input Circuit

P0299 Turbocharger/Supercharger "A" Underboost Condition

C1201 Engine Control System Malfunction

C1207 Gear position signal malfunction

My first and last Toyota . Reliability with Toyota it's just a fairy tale. Parts are very expensive and main dealers are useless. Don't touch this brand.

Surely it should be 'don't touch a BMW', as that is where this troublesome engine originated from? Our 2012 Avensis with the earlier Toyota-designed 2.0 diesel engine has been faultless. I wouldn't touch anything with a BMW engine in it either!

• Like 1

The BMW N47 does seem to be a particularly troublesome engine.  In general though petrol engines are more reliable than modern diesels - largely because diesels are more complex.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2020 at 6:24 PM, yossarian247 said:

Surely it should be 'don't touch a BMW', as that is where this troublesome engine originated from? Our 2012 Avensis with the earlier Toyota-designed 2.0 diesel engine has been faultless. I wouldn't touch anything with a BMW engine in it either!

If Cosmin had bought a petrol variant or one of Toyota hybrid models, or a trouble free car, he might have had a different outlook about Toyota. Toyota are not perfect, but to say 'I never buy a certain brand again' is a little drastic. Toyota had good diesel engines, but stopped when they switch their attention to hybrid. Personally I would never buy a diesel car, and with the London ULEZ increasing, there is no incentive. The BMW diesel engines was only a stopgap to meet euro6 emissions, for the Avensis and Auris until they were fazed out. 
I hope Cosmin gets his car sorted.  

1 hour ago, Konrad C said:

If Cosmin had bought a petrol variant or one of Toyota hybrid models, or a trouble free car, he might have had a different outlook about Toyota. Toyota are not perfect, but to say 'I never buy a certain brand again' is a little drastic. Toyota had good diesel engines, but stopped when they switch their attention to hybrid. Personally I would never buy a diesel car, and with the London ULEZ increasing, there is no incentive. The BMW diesel engines was only a stopgap to meet euro6 emissions, for the Avensis and Auris until they were fazed out. 
I hope Cosmin gets his car sorted.  

Yes agreed. I'm biased as having had some previous experience with certain German cars turning into unreliable money pits I was very dismayed when I first heard that Toyota were to begin using BMW diesel engines. Not that recent Toyota designed diesel engines have been totally trouble free either of course, but our Avensis has honestly been the most reliable car I've ever owned (i know I shouldnt tempt fate by saying that..) I really wish Toyota had produced an Avensis hybrid as I would quite happily have bought one. I bet a load of taxi drivers would too!

1 hour ago, yossarian247 said:

Yes agreed. I'm biased as having had some previous experience with certain German cars turning into unreliable money pits I was very dismayed when I first heard that Toyota were to begin using BMW diesel engines. Not that recent Toyota designed diesel engines have been totally trouble free either of course, but our Avensis has honestly been the most reliable car I've ever owned (i know I shouldnt tempt fate by saying that..) I really wish Toyota had produced an Avensis hybrid as I would quite happily have bought one. I bet a load of taxi drivers would too!

In my area there are lots of Corolla estates used as PHV in my area of Greater London/Kent. I saw one of the first in the show room last year - 

• Like 1

The current Prius, Corolla saloon and Corolla Touring Sport have the same size wheelbase as the Avensis, and these three plus the Camry are Toyota's replacements covering the gap left by the Avensis.

• Like 1