Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

RAV4 Brake Crack?

Thel

So, preface to this post, I'm a very paranoid person. But I also am engineering/mechanically skilled to trade. 

Recently got new brakes, about 3 weeks ago, all went well and no issues. Now in the last few days brakes have been squeaking frequently, and they groan badly if I brake at the bottom of a steel incline. 

I had a look at the driver side, which is where the noise mainly comes from, and saw what might be a crack? You'll see it on the pics. Now it kind of looks like a crack, but also looks like it might be a nothing. 

Am I being paranoid or is this something that needs looked at?

IMG_20190819_234616.jpg

IMG_20190819_234755.jpg

Honestly they look like nasty cheap rubbish or they have been hammered in, have the anti-squeal shims been re-fitted and have they been coated with a bit of copper grease or similar product. The pads sound like they are moving in the calliper, if you did not fit them take it back. Have a look at the picture you should have something similar fitted sometimes they corrode and are not replaced the pads will then float about.

Genuine Toyota Rear Brake Pad Anti-Squeal Shim Kit
Genuine Toyota Rear Brake Pad Anti-Squeal Shim Kit

Yeah the whole lot got renewed as the brake caliper was stuck on. That's all new 😕

Looking at your picture if that's your breaking system you do not have any of the above you should have shims/plates between the piston and pad, you look like you have a 2007 plated RAV4 these have shims/plates fitted I can't see them in your picture without them they won't seat correctly and squirm about causing noise etc. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links