Oscarmax

2019 Panoramic Roof No Spare Wheel?

Recommended Posts

Chased up Toyota today Excel and Dynamic model if ordered with the panoramic roof you do not get a spare wheel just a repair kit, apparently it is all down to weight and emissions, however the 2 other model will come with a spare wheel, alternatively you can just order a spare wheel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You get the tyre repair kit instead, this seems to be the norm. What you get told is sales talk etc, but what I can ask is when did you last have to change a tyre?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Oscarmax said:

Chased up Toyota today Excel and Dynamic model if ordered with the panoramic roof you do not get a spare wheel just a repair kit, apparently it is all down to weight and emissions, however the 2 other model will come with a spare wheel, alternatively you can just order a spare wheel.

correct, the panoramic roof weighs more so to keep the emissions & therefore tax rates down they balance it by supplying a TRK which weighs less than a spare .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I won’t be using my air kit, I destroys the tyres. I will be ringing breakdown recovery, lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That all depends on the damage to the tyre prior to using a post puncture repair sealant. If the tyre is undamaged (other than the puncture) the sealant can be scraped out cleaned and the tyre can then be repaired 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe that sealants are a very poor substitute for a spare so I reluctantly went for a car without panoramic roof which I should be picking up in a couple of weeks. There was a similar dilemma with my present car ( a Landrover Discovery Sport) so I carried a tyre plugging kit and a jack but luckily haven't had to try it out. Its also worth remembering that the sealant is supposed to be replaced every two years and nothing will repair a damaged sidewall or a significant cut. The US range doesn't have this problem so I suppose its the EU homologation that is the limiting factor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, roadster-rav said:

I believe that sealants are a very poor substitute for a spare so I reluctantly went for a car without panoramic roof which I should be picking up in a couple of weeks. 

It's not really a problem, as already suggested just buy a spare etc. after the car is delivered (you will need to find a parts person with some initiative though as if they just put your reg. no. into the system it will not list a spare tyre for your car).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My dealer is checking with another customer (presumably with a sun (moon?!) roof) who wants a spare wheel but my space saver will be available if that falls through (I bought a full size spare, since it fits nicely under  the boot floor).

On a Gen 1 Prius I had a few years ago a tyre exploded on the M1 at 60 mph and by the time I came to a stop (very gently) there wasn't a shred of rubber to be seen on the rim.  I was very lucky not to need a new wheel.  It would have required some extraordinarily clever gunge to fix that!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Rocks703 said:

You get the tyre repair kit instead, this seems to be the norm. What you get told is sales talk etc, but what I can ask is when did you last have to change a tyre?

Sunday on my stepsons car, screw in the tyres, thankfully i purchased a spare wheel for him this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MrNuts said:

Sunday on my stepsons car, screw in the tyres, thankfully i purchased a spare wheel for him this year.

That's my statement blown out of the water😜

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, PeteB said:

My dealer is checking with another customer (presumably with a sun (moon?!) roof) who wants a spare wheel but my space saver will be available if that falls through (I bought a full size spare, since it fits nicely under  the boot floor).

On a Gen 1 Prius I had a few years ago a tyre exploded on the M1 at 60 mph and by the time I came to a stop (very gently) there wasn't a shred of rubber to be seen on the rim.  I was very lucky not to need a new wheel.  It would have required some extraordinarily clever gunge to fix that!

 

As we tow a caravan we would probably buy a secondhand (nearly new) wheel and tyre from an insurance right off like we did with our Honda CRV,a space saving tyre is ok for normal use but suitable for caravan towing, a repair kit will be of no use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, the handbook warns not to tow with the space saver or repair kit, and also says the (£80) TPWS sensor needs to be replaced after using the gunge.

Moreover, under certain circumstances (such as in snow and ice), it warns not to use the space saver on a front wheel, and in the event of a front wheel puncture recommends this procedure:

  1. Remove a good rear wheel
  2. install the space saver on the vacant rear wheel
  3. remove the punctures front wheel
  4. install the wheel removed from the back on the vacant front wheel.

All sounds like fun to me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like most people who grew up with jacks and wheel braces I don’t trust aerosols. Today I asked my local T dealer about a space saver wheel. Computer said no. Actually it said I have to buy a new polystyrene insert and a boot floor mat. Because otherwise the wheel is going to move around. I don’t know if they will make me buy a new insert if I put a suitcase in the boot? What a load of 💩

 

Has anyone has found a space saver compatible with a 2015 Auris?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Philip Aston said:

Today I asked my local T dealer about a space saver wheel. Computer said no. Actually it said I have to buy a new polystyrene insert and a boot floor mat. Because otherwise the wheel is going to move around. I don’t know if they will make me buy a new insert if I put a suitcase in the boot? What a load of 💩

 

Has anyone has found a space saver compatible with a 2015 Auris?

As I said above you need to find a parts person with some initiative as if your car was homologated without & they just put in your reg. the system will not list a spare for your car.

If it is like an Avensis the polystrene tray etc. is because a spare plus jack etc. changes the storage needs & usinge the existing would raise/not support properly the floor. Also, the wheel is actually held by a bolt through the wheel into a hole/lug in the floor.

I imagine there will be loads of 2015 Auris with space savers.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/23/2019 at 9:59 AM, Heidfirst said:

As I said above you need to find a parts person with some initiative as if your car was homologated without & they just put in your reg. the system will not list a spare for your car.

If it is like an Avensis the polystrene tray etc. is because a spare plus jack etc. changes the storage needs & usinge the existing would raise/not support properly the floor. Also, the wheel is actually held by a bolt through the wheel into a hole/lug in the floor.

I imagine there will be loads of 2015 Auris with space savers.

Thanks! To be fair the very polite young man serving me didn't seem like someone who would think outside the corporate box he was trained in. So I have to ask the parts counter (or customer component request consultant or whatever they call them now) to put in the reg for an Auris supplied with a spacesaver. That's very helpful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Philip Aston said:

 So I have to ask the parts counter (or customer component request consultant or whatever they call them now) 

🤣

Not saying that these are the correct parts for your car but e.g.

http://www.ebaystores.co.uk/toyotaofficialstore/sch/_i.html?_sop=12&_nkw=auris+spare&

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just exchanged my Rav4 Hybrid 2018 for a 2019 with sun/moon roof and no spare tyre.

When ordering the 2019 Rav4 it was stated to me I could not have a spare put in the car at all. When I pushed them for more info it was stated that this was for emissions reason and having the sunroof which is heavy will put the car on it's limit to make the car go over the emissions threshold and hence the car tax. No one was willing at the garage to talk about putting a spare in the car.

Now I have the car I will do this myself, but I asked for a quotation from my garage and their parts department looked into it. They took a long time to come back and then told me there was not a space saver for the car. They could sell me a new wheel and tyre but suggested I did not put it in the car as it would be dangerous to my passengers in a crash. I then explained that the spare wheel was already in the Rav4 2019 that did not have a sunroof and this was deemed safe. I am a design engineer for a vehicle company I do load calculations all the time so I know sunroof version is safe. If it wasn't then it would be illegal for then to leave a compartment in it to take a spare wheel, leaving them opened to being sued.

Basically I think Toyota are a little bit embarrassed that for at least the UK market they have a car very close to breaking the emissions threshold with respect to weight. They certainly cannot allow a new Rav4 2019 with sun roof leaving their garage weighing more than the book / regulations state or the governing authorities could start looking into this.

Incidentally the 2019 version knocks spots off the 2018 in everyway imaginable it is so much a refined car now. Suspension, drive, fuel consumption and all the additional important accessories (except spare wheel).


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 3:20 PM, Rocks703 said:

That's my statement blown out of the water😜

Hi Rocks703.

Unusual name?

I see you are relatively new to the club, welcome!

Yes you may consider your statement was blown out of the water and yes there are posts to agree with this but I go along with what you said.

The 2 cars I have, mine and the Mrs, both have full sized spare wheels, far best way of doing things.

Regards, Mike169

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Scottydog007 said:

They took a long time to come back and then told me there was not a space saver for the car. 

I got the Excel with no roof, I was expecting a full size spare, but I got a space saver that looks like it has come of my motorbike.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The customer with the moon-roof I mentioned in my 22 Aug post does want my space-saver.  Apparently, if you order one from your dealer, with tyre (and vat) it costs over £400!  And you still need to buy a kit with the jack, wheel-brace and bolt to secure the wheel to the boot floor!

It is quite a large space-saver, and appears to be alloy.  My full size alloy spare and tyre came to about £465 which starts to look like a bargain!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The parts department said there was not a space saver for the Rav4 2019 available, and when I looked I could not see one. I will prefer a full size and the parts department stated they could get me one for £580 with lowish quality tyre so seems expensive to me plus I need all attachments as well, but their price included pressure sensor or something.

I am away on business so when I am back on Friday I will jack the car up remove one wheel and see if the 18" wheel fits in the boot cavity. If it does I might go and order something online like a steel rim for £90 and a then a tyre to go on it. So in case of a puncture I can have a temporary full size wheel with no pressure sensor. Guess the dash will complain but then it should have complained already from the puncture.

A mate told me of this place. https://www.oponeo.co.uk/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Scottydog007 said:

The parts department said there was not a space saver for the Rav4 2019 available,

we all know that is wrong, e.g.see PeteB's post above

 I will prefer a full size and the parts department stated they could get me one for £580 with lowish quality tyre so seems expensive to me plus I need all attachments as well, but their price included pressure sensor or something.

You will be paying £400+ for the Toyota oem alloy & TPMS. Buy a s/h alloy - afaik the PCD & offset haven't changed since the last generation

a mate told me of this place. https://www.oponeo.co.uk/

I have used them & they are OK, comes from Poland

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

You will be paying £400+ for the Toyota oem alloy & TPMS.

Yes, and the TPMS sensor was about £80, but you don't need to bother.  The documentation suggested the system could handle 5 sensors (and the manual hints at it too), but they were unable to do this and are still trying to get advice from Toyota.

A full size spare with no sensor is still way better than a space-saver with no sensor!

The full size (silver Excel spec) wheel and tyre do fit fine under the boot floor without any mods - just means you can't use the lower floor position or store the load cover under the floor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PeteB said:

Yes, and the TPMS sensor was about £80, but you don't need to bother.  The documentation suggested the system could handle 5 sensors (and the manual hints at it too), but they were unable to do this and are still trying to get advice from Toyota.

Does the documentation suggest that it can it handle 5 as a single group or, perhaps, as a group of 4 & a second group of 1?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem with asking a parts department for bits on your car it didn't originally have and that are not available as an official accessory is the Toyota parts catalogue works on a "one car one part" basis so when the details of your car are input into the catalogue it "hides" anything not applicable to your car so a Rav without factory spare wheel will not show a spare wheel nor part numbers.

This then leaves the option of looking the parts up manually without inputting a vehicle chassis number but this can be tricky as you the customer expect the parts person who will usually at best be making a best guess choice to get it right first time and if they do get it wrong to take the part back when quite often Toyota will not accept a part to be returned, the "other" choice costs 3 x as much and the customer expects not the have to pay more, add in to that corporate responsibilities where it is drummed into you about the sort of liabilities that could be faced if you do get something wrong because you supplied a part not designed or listed for the car which went on to cause an accident or injury  etc, etc, etc the easy and legally defensible answer is to say " the computer says no".

 

 

2019 UK Rav Spare.xlsx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...