Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2019 Panoramic Roof No Spare Wheel?

Oscarmax

Thanks Heidfirst, the wheel spec. corresponds to my variant details so I've ordered it, I'll post again with the result

• Like 1

I purchased a full size spare, which fits in the well fine after removing the space saver and it’s packing pieces.

The space saver is alloy, powder coated black. It is languishing in my garage, never been used and 3 months old. If anyone wants to buy it then make me a reasonable offer by direct messaging. I think someone mentioned they are £400 from the dealer but I can do a lot better than that. The jack etc won’t be included.

On 9/3/2019 at 2:20 PM, Scottydog007 said:

Just exchanged my Rav4 Hybrid 2018 for a 2019 with sun/moon roof and no spare tyre.

When ordering the 2019 Rav4 it was stated to me I could not have a spare put in the car at all. When I pushed them for more info it was stated that this was for emissions reason and having the sunroof which is heavy will put the car on it's limit to make the car go over the emissions threshold and hence the car tax. No one was willing at the garage to talk about putting a spare in the car.

Now I have the car I will do this myself, but I asked for a quotation from my garage and their parts department looked into it. They took a long time to come back and then told me there was not a space saver for the car. They could sell me a new wheel and tyre but suggested I did not put it in the car as it would be dangerous to my passengers in a crash. I then explained that the spare wheel was already in the Rav4 2019 that did not have a sunroof and this was deemed safe. I am a design engineer for a vehicle company I do load calculations all the time so I know sunroof version is safe. If it wasn't then it would be illegal for then to leave a compartment in it to take a spare wheel, leaving them opened to being sued.

Basically I think Toyota are a little bit embarrassed that for at least the UK market they have a car very close to breaking the emissions threshold with respect to weight. They certainly cannot allow a new Rav4 2019 with sun roof leaving their garage weighing more than the book / regulations state or the governing authorities could start looking into this.

Strange, but they are happy to fit a tow bar, a Roof Rack complete with roof box plus side rails, surely that could push the weight up, but no spare wheel ?

1 minute ago, Oscarmax said:

Strange, but they are happy to fit a tow bar, a roof rack complete with roof box plus side rails, surely that could push the weight up, but no spare wheel ?

Just me getting in it push the weight up by more than several dozen wheels! 😁

• Like 1

And you still get 52mpg, I tell my wife I am not fat I am fluffy.

• Like 1

Hey Mike169, thank you for the welcome. My name is Andy, I go by Rocks as it a nickname, my family make seaside rock 🙂 So if you have ever been to Great Yarmouth and seen the rock being made the likelihood it was my parents place.

Hi Andy.

I have been to Hopton many times, to Potters holiday camp but many, many years ago with my then parents so yes we visited Gt. Yarmouth, Lowestoft and local villages.

A lovely part of the UK and I l most envy, lol, you being in such scenic countryside.

From memory it is about 100 miles from where I live in Essex but then it was 127 miles from East London.

I just loved the atmosphere and attitude of the people that live in that area and I hope you are happy there and yes I have eaten rock from that area with the name in the middle so maybe it was made by your parents.

This is a very friendly club and just ask away any questions you have, we even have our own parts person named The Parts King, aka Kingo, aka John Devlin who will post many genuine parts at discount prices, it's a win, win situation.

All the best and thanks for your email. Mike.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mike169 said:

Hi Andy.

I have been to Hopton many times, to Potters holiday camp but many, many years ago with my then parents so yes we visited Gt. Yarmouth, Lowestoft and local villages.

A lovely part of the UK and I l most envy, lol, you being in such scenic countryside.

From memory it is about 100 miles from where I live in Essex but then it was 127 miles from East London.

I just loved the atmosphere and attitude of the people that live in that area and I hope you are happy there and yes I have eaten rock from that area with the name in the middle so maybe it was made by your parents.

This is a very friendly club and just ask away any questions you have, we even have our own parts person named The Parts King, aka Kingo, aka John Devlin who will post many genuine parts at discount prices, it's a win, win situation.

All the best and thanks for your email. Mike.

Thank you Mike 🙂 That's great to hear. I have a long wait for mine to arrive but I am gleaming all the info I can prior to the arrival 👍

26 minutes ago, Rocks703 said:

... if you have ever been to Great Yarmouth and seen the rock being made the likelihood it was my parents place.

If that's Regent Road I'll have been a frequent customer in the 1960s & 70s!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PeteB said:

If that's Regent Road I'll have been a frequent customer in the 1960s & 70s!

That's the one Docwra's 🙂 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rocks703 said:

That's the one Docwra's 🙂 

Hmm, this conversation's made me fancy a stick! 😝

Just now, PeteB said:

Hmm, this conversation's made me fancy a stick! 😝

I'll get some in the post 😄

• Haha 1

On 9/4/2019 at 3:07 PM, Oscarmax said:

Strange, but they are happy to fit a tow bar, a roof rack complete with roof box plus side rails, surely that could push the weight up, but no spare wheel ?

they aren't tested for emissions etc. in that spec. though but as standard ex. factory.

Had my Rav4 2019 one week now, so sun roof but no spare tire. I noticed I did not have a tool kit or jack, so went to the dealer and told then this had been left out, to be told it was never included in the first place. Basically I was told with the foam kit owners do not expect to take their wheels off, they just drive to a garage and get them to do it.

I got myself a second hand good wheel and tyre for Rav4 for £40. So I asked my garage for jack and tool kit, amazingly enough there is not one available for 2019 so he ordered 2018 version which we assume will be the same. Costs £95.

I already had the wheel lock and a special towing tool.

I have now put in a spare tire, sourced locally second hand which came off an old Rav4. Tire is almost new, size 225, 65 R17 on my car they are 225, 60 R18 so will be fine. Cost me £60. Normally in the Rav4’s 2018 and 19 Toyota put R17 run-flats.

Now I needed a jack and tool kit that I ordered from Toyota (2018) for £95, I then saw the same thing on eBay new for £40, but when I picked up the spare tire the guy gave me a jack and tool kit free (for a Rav4 rated 1.2 tonne) so I cancelled order with Toyota.

Now put in the dash-cam front previous car and I am almost sorted. Just need a Roof Rack and tow-bar (for cycle carrier).

Due to collect RAV4 Excel with panoramic roof today.

When I originally placed the order I was assured all RAV4s came with a spare wheel. My local dealer yesterday advised the cost of a spare wheel will be £626.54 . Will need to look elsewhere before committing to that unexpected extra cost.

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 6:39 PM, Oscarmax said:

Chased up Toyota today Excel and Dynamic model if ordered with the panoramic roof you do not get a spare wheel just a repair kit, apparently it is all down to weight and emissions, however the 2 other model will come with a spare wheel, alternatively you can just order a spare wheel.

So now have my Rav4 2019 but when choosing options I was told by the sales person I could not have a spare wheel as I had the foam kit. They were trying to sell the idea 'don't worry you will have a lot of area for storage'. They kept stating I could not have a spare wheel. I kind of got angry and said they were talking rubbish, then the senior sales manager was called and he basically told me it was because of CO2 emissions. He would not discuss it any more. Basically he was telling me I could order a spare later but after the car had left the dealership. 

Sounds crazy but I think this car is being sold as a stated package for a stated weight limit that abides to the emissions regulations. I will guess that adding a Roof Rack and tow bar are seen as accessories and so not included in this weight/emission calculation, but a spare tyre is not seen as an accessory.

Even after taking the car away and a few days, later I phoned service/parts department, I was told I could not have a spare wheel. I was even told it would be too dangerous to my passengers having a spare wheel until I told them there was already a compartment for one and they were already selling the sunroofless model with a space-saver.

Then they told me there was not a space-saver in the catalogue for this model. I told them I would source a wheel else where and I will be putting in a full size wheel. The senior service technician then told me a full size tyre would not fit. I disagreed, bought one else where and it goes in a treat, and the boot cover fits fine on it. I sourced a jack and tool kit as well not from the dealer. What I need now is the screw arrangement for holding the wheel down which I assume I can buy easy enough.

This car is definitely on the emissions limit for a stated package.

On 9/7/2019 at 4:41 PM, Scottydog007 said:

Normally in the Rav4’s 2018 and 19 Toyota put R17 run-flats.

No, they don't, it's a spacesaver.

re. the wheel retaining bolt to fix it to the floor it is usually quite cheap from Mr.T, often cheaper than people try to charge s/h (you might have to give the parts person the reg. no. of a RAV4 supplied with a spare as when they put yours into the system it won't show a part as the car was supplied without a spare)? Hopefully, you have put some foam or similar to buffer the floor from the wheel/tyre.

3 hours ago, murrayga54 said:

Due to collect RAV4 Excel with panoramic roof today.

When I originally placed the order I was assured all RAV4s came with a spare wheel. My local dealer yesterday advised the cost of a spare wheel will be £626.54 . Will need to look elsewhere before committing to that unexpected extra cost.

That will be for a full matching alloy etc. You can buy a spacesaver cheaper or indeed as Scottydog007 has done source a s/h one (afaik the wheel spec. hasn't changed from the last gen)

2 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

...That will be for a full matching alloy etc. You can buy a spacesaver cheaper or indeed as Scottydog007 has done source a s/h one (afaik the wheel spec. hasn't changed from the last gen)

If you're buying new, there's not much in it.  My full size silver 18" alloy and Bridgestone Allenza tyre came to £465, my dealer said a new spacesaver with tyre was over £400.

Obviously, second hand or from a scrap dealer one can do better,

25 minutes ago, PeteB said:

Obviously, second hand or from a scrap dealer one can do better,

or another supplier e.g. www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-RAV4-2005-PRESENT-DAY-17-SPACE-SAVER-SPARE-WHEEL-AND-TOOL-KIT/183772760931

4 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

or another supplier e.g. www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-RAV4-2005-PRESENT-DAY-17-SPACE-SAVER-SPARE-WHEEL-AND-TOOL-KIT/183772760931

although if you enter the details for the 5th Gen RAV4, you get this message:

This item doesn't fit Toyota RAV 4 V 2019 MK V [2018-2019] SUV 2.5 Hybrid AWD SUV 2487ccm 178HP 131KW (Hybrid).

It certainly doesn't look as robust as the alloy spacesaver that came with my car:

20190912_180325.jpg

that was just a hastily grabbed example - there will be people able to supply a .

That's an interesting photo - first time that I have seen a 5-spoke alloy spacesaver as standard. I guess that the RAV4 must be sailing really close to the emissions category changes for them to go for that to keep the weight down rather than just a cheaper but heavier steel one.

1 hour ago, Heidfirst said:

... first time that I have seen a 5-spoke alloy spacesaver as standard...

First time I saw a RAV in the showroom last March (was Design trim) I looked under the boot floor and at first I thought it was a full size spare (it was the other way up, of course) - it looked larger than the main (15") road wheels/tyres on the Gen 4 Prius I was driving at the time - then I noticed the large "TEMPORARY USE" on the sidewall.

Hi guys

I have a new Rav 4 with panoramic roof - I requested a space save but cannot locate one anywhere - I have 18 inch wheels fitted

Do I read this correctly - an Auris space save will fit the Rav 4?

thanks in advance

Mac