Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2019 Panoramic Roof No Spare Wheel?

Oscarmax

Check this video, particularly at 6 mins 36 secs. This shows that 5 sensors can be programmed. This is on a 2015 Tacoma but RAV4 probably not much different. Can also register different sets of wheels.

1 hour ago, LEGENDMAC said:

I have a new Rav 4 with panoramic roof - I requested a space save but cannot locate one anywhere - I have 18 inch wheels fitted

Do I read this correctly - an Auris space save will fit the Rav 4?

Hi Ian, welcome to TOC 🙂

Whilst it may well actually fit (same PCD) I don't know that I would trust it as the RAV is a far heavier vehicle. For some reason Philip chose to ask a question for his Auris in a RAV thread rather than posting it in the Auris section.

If you want the official Toyota spare for a new RAV see the file that Devon Aygo posted in

1 hour ago, LEGENDMAC said:

Hi guys

I have a new Rav 4 with panoramic roof - I requested a space save but cannot locate one anywhere - I have 18 inch wheels fitted

Do I read this correctly - an Auris space save will fit the Rav 4?

thanks in advance

Mac

As I said earlier. My dealer said there was not a space-saver in the brochure for a 2019 he then recommended the 2018 version. In the end sauced a second hand full size.
I looked at the handbook for both 2018 and 2019 models at the back of the handbook there is a section on tyres, stating sizes There is a different for normal tyres for 2018 and 2019, but both sections state a space-saver and they are identical in size.
Some cars with 18" wheels are supplied with a 17" space-saver. My 2018 had this. My 2019 had nothing because of moon/sun roof. Do not forget you need to sauce a jack and tool kit having the correct rating. Toyota wanted £94 just for the jack, but I saw an identical one on eBay for £40. Oh and also you will need the screw fixing, clamping the wheel in the boot.

• 3 months later...

I am just about to get delivery of a new RAV4 with a pan roof. I am looking to buy a spare, and wondered if there is anything more that new RAV4 owners can add to this topic?      I had noticed on e-bay I can purchase a 18" alloy wheel for about £140 without the tyre - that's what was said earlier in this thread. However, I am not convinced that's a great idea because of the extra weight compared with a space saver. l also found a spare tyre 17" (used only for short distances / speed restriction) at £250. I also need a retaining fixing bolt screw, and found one for RAV4 2012 -> 2019. I guess this retaining screw is the same for the new RAV4?  I can't purchase a spare from my dealer. To be fair to the dealer they did make this known to me before I purchased the car. 

I had the same problem, - no spare because of  the Panoramic roof, and no one at Toyota could provide a solution. I eventually found an online supplier  -  thewheelshop.co.uk I bought a complete Spacesaver wheel and jack kit there for £165, they also do steel wheels and winter tyres for most cars.

Paul

8 hours ago, Talshia said:

I had the same problem, - no spare because of  the Panoramic roof, and no one at Toyota could provide a solution. I eventually found an online supplier  -  thewheelshop.co.uk I bought a complete Spacesaver wheel and jack kit there for £165, they also do steel wheels and winter tyres for most cars.

Paul

Thanks Paul. Good call. I'll get my spare from them. All the best, Jim

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

Just an update on this thread.

Took delivery of new Dynamic with the roof and no spare on 1st January 2021.  Farmer and Carlisle have just quoted me £515 for a full sized, matching 19 inch wheel, tyre and pressure monitoring valve.  Cheapest alloy and tyre I could find without the PMG was well over £300 so this doesn't look too bad.  Like others I tow so will go for a full sized spare.

22 hours ago, PBD said:

...Farmer and Carlisle have just quoted me £515 for a full sized, matching 19 inch wheel, tyre and pressure monitoring valve...

Presumably you'll need a jack and tools too.

• 2 months later...

This seems to be quite a thorny subject. Just picked up a Sep 2019 Excel without pano roof (must update profile) which salesman assured me had a spare wheel. Got home to find the dreaded tyre repair kit and no tools. Avoided others with JBL and pano roof as I really really wanted a spare if only a space saver. Yes, I'm old fashioned that way but have experienced tyres with a 4 inch cut previously.

Wonder if dealer will sort or if I will have to return under the 14 day window that is allowed under 'click and collect'.

Is anyone able to advise on cost of spare wheel and necessary tools these days ?

16 minutes ago, Peterd23 said:

This seems to be quite a thorny subject...

It is indeed.  The Excel went from 18" wheels to 19" wheels at some point, and that's when they dropped the spacesaver in favour of the useless gunge.  Like you, out of the 20 or so deflations I've experienced since 2000, four had zero chance of the gunge working (including one where tyre exploded at 60 mph and there wasn't a shred of rubber on the rim by the time I stopped), 3 or 4 more probably would not have worked, the rest probably would have worked.

Just as it seemed Toyota were getting the message about spare wheels, they appear to be going a bit silly again.  I was pleased to see US pictures of the RAV4 Prime (plug-in) having a spacesaver under the boot (I mean trunk!) floor, although no room for a full size one.  So it's doubly disappointing to see that the UK plug in version has gunge.  I really think some of the top people in Toyota UK should be taken out and shot!  Twice!  At least!

The manual also recommends periodic rotation of the tyres, so obviously they didn't need to supply a jack!  Morons!

My Excel did come with the spacesaver, and I was delighted to learn that a full size spare would fit under the boot floor, so I ordered a matching alloy and tyre from my dealer.

The wheel and tyre came to £553.08 including an £80 TPWS sensor, and my dealer told me the spacesaver wheel and tyre was over £400! (and you still need the tools).

Some people have found firms that sell a 'compatible' spacesaver and toolkit for less than the Toyota price for the wheel and tyre (see link below), but be carefull, the official space saver is a substantial alloy wheel and some of the cheaper alternatives look a little less robust, bearing in mind the RAV4 Hybrid is not a light vehicle.

The second link shows a picture of my spacesaver.

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/189277-2019-panoramic-roof-no-spare-wheel/?do=findComment&comment=1510091

Update: Pleased to report that good response from dealer. Sales manager has been called at home and admitted that he authorised the swap to keep another customer happy. Plan now is that they will remove the spare and tools from a new car and fit to mine .... and the problem goes on but not for me !.

To be fair, the salesman didn't argue and remembered me asking about the spare wheel. Think this is why he called his boss on his day off as he knew otherwise it was going back.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Peterd23 said:

Update: Pleased to report that good response from dealer...

Result.  Sounds like a good dealer.

41 minutes ago, PeteB said:

Result.  Sounds like a good dealer.

Well not really ... the dealer stole a space saver spare from one car to (presumably) sell to another customer, and, when they got found out, they propose to repeat the crime by stealing a space saver from someone else ... 😞

Presumably they will continue to repeat the crime until they get away with it ... ?

Not a dealer I would want to do business with ...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, philip42h said:

Well not really ... the dealer stole a space saver spare from one car to (presumably) ...

depends - yours is a 2020 model - if you've got the 5 spoke silver 18" wheels, then yes, you should have had the spacesaver, but if it's got the 19" 10 spoke wheels, then according to the website and brochure it gets the so called repair kit.

43 minutes ago, PeteB said:

depends - yours is a 2020 model - if you've got the 5 spoke silver 18" wheels, then yes, you should have had the spacesaver, but if it's got the 19" 10 spoke wheels, then according to the website and brochure it gets the so called repair kit.

I've got a 2020 Excel with 5 spoke silver 18" wheels and a Pan roof so repair kit, no tools and no space saver - and I knew that would be the case when I bought it.

But what I have is entirely irrelevant ... Peterd23's dealer is still a crook and not someone I would want to do business with ...

My 2021 Excel with 19" wheels has no space saver so picked up a never been fitted  used one for £99 delivered  from eBay 😏