Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

random 20mph SpeedSigns!!

Anthony Sutton

on my 5minute commute (lucky!), i don't use maps, but i do have the Speed Warning set, which will alert me if i go over the speed limit on the road i'm on.

there are a few 20mph zones in my area, but i don't happen to drive through them.

but my Corolla (bought 1month ago) randomly changes to 20mph, in my 30mph roads,  and of course i get incessant warning beeps

has this happened to anyone else? i've done several weeks of observations, and there's no rhyme or reason to the error!

corolla SoftwareUpdate.jpg

It will be reading the road signs if not it gets it from the mapping data  as far as i know even if you aren't using the navigation.

There is an option to turn off RSA (Road Sign Assistance, it think it's called) in the driver display menu, you can check the manual for the specific area.

Also you could do with updating your map as that's the version from the factory.  2019 v1 is the latest and that's the version it would show instead of A36_4.

• Like 1

One possibility is if you go past a side road with 20 mph signs at the entrance, or particularly pass an entrance to a 20 zone on a roundabout, the camera can see this and think you are entering that zone.

It normally corrects after a while, as Si says, from the SatNav data or if it passes another speed limit sign.

In the menus I think you can turn off the beep but still have the visual warning, and you can also set a threshold before it starts warning.

• Like 3

Couple months ago I never got the verbal warning I was exceeding the speed limit. Now I do. And what is annoying is I can pass a 30, 40 or 50 sign, which the camera picks up on a displays, but I still get a voice telling me I am in a 20 mph limit area, when clearly I am not. Grrrr.

• Like 1

you should be able to turn it off.

It’s a woman’s voice - can you really stop a woman talking? Tell me how? 😄

• Haha 3

I've never had a verbal notification but @Catlover does have a prius...

The corolla just beeps at you 🙂

1 hour ago, Catlover said:

Duct Tape?  😁

4 hours ago, Catlover said:

if it's your wife/passenger open passenger door, unfasten seat belt & go round a right hand turn a bit sharpish ... 😛

Iirc you can disable the notifications or you can do what I did & switch the whole Traffic Sign Assist system off.

thanks guys, you're a great community, with lots of jest and good advice.

gonna update my map (not easy! I've tried, but as it's a new car, it said I had to wait a certain number of miles before it allowed me!).

I don't pass any 20mph signs along my 5minute route, which I've driven identically since 1996.

I do need the beeps to show me if I go above 30mph because ashamedly  I did get some Speeding Points :(

the thing that stuck me is the 20mph indicator on my dash seems to come up randomly, some days yes, some days no, and at different parts of my route.

Mine sometimes displays the 'motorway' sign when travelling down a dual carriageway toward M40 J11. I suppose it must be picking it up from the signs. But why would Toyota have it do that? It's not like it's conveying any useful information even if I was driving on a motorway.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links