Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help please, engine damage on new to me car

Swan

Hello all,

id really like your advice please.

I purchased a 2011 Aygo Go two weeks ago for £2400, 69000 miles.

it was making a bit of a sound on acceleration but the seller assured me there was nothing wrong with the car, it’s just a noisy car etc. I know nothing about cars and went as a naive single mum. They also told me one previous owner and there were four.

Took it to garage yesterday and discovered that the engine has sustained damage due to the car being driven with no oil. That is what the noise was. 

The garage advised me that to strip the engine is going to cost around £1000 and that on a 2011 plate he didn’t feel it was worth doing.

He said I should top up the oil every week and can continue to drive it until it goes bang if I choose to, or part ex it in somewhere.

My question is, what should I do? Is it even worth the repairs given age and mileage? 

Thank you in advance, I would really appreciate your opinions.

Hello Claire - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Was it a private sale or from a garage?

Moved to the Aygo club.

This is a common engine fitted to Toyota Argo, Citroen C1 and Peugeot 107 cars. Just a quick search on eBay for Toyota Aygo engine threw up more then a few fro between £300 and £650, some with 3 month guarantees. Maybe worth a go,  it use someone experienced to source and fit it.  And whilst engine is out maybe worth replacing timing belt and possibly the clutch.

• Thanks 1

Although it was supposed to be a private sale, he was probably a shady dealer working from home. There are some awful people out there.

These engines go on forever if looked after, ie regular oil changes and level checks.  You could buy a second hand one but a few months warranty from a private person or even a dodgy dealer sounds a bit iffy..if it goes wrong you are back where you started.

I would trade it in and get rid to a dealer so if he decides to sell it on he should have the facilities to repair it or sort it out somehow for the next owner but he should just scrap it, but that is up to him. If he gives you a decent trade in deal jump at it!

The weak point on these cars is usually the clutch, make sure it works ok but it is not the end of the world if it needs adjusting or even replacing...keep away from the automatics though..

By the way, these engines don't have timing or cam belts, they use a chain which is basically maintenance free..one reason I chose an Aygo!

Good luck, I am sorry to hear of your bad fortune with the car.

Just fill it up with oil. Im sure there would be some oil in the engine. Was the oil light on? If the light was not on don't worry about it. Just check it the oil level weekly. The aygo engine does make some noise on acceleration mainly from the exhaust. You wouldn't be able to see engine damage without doing a engine strip down. 

£? - a generous reward to the person ("Guru Member") who can fiit a timing belt - they're chain driven !

Previous owner had fitted a chain to ours. Chains do have a life - if you ever owned a corsa then youd know.

It does have oil on I presume? And it's not something as simple as alternator bearings?

I'd go down the second hand engine  route  if its that bad and maybe source and mark this down to experience. 

It's just not worth spending that kind of money on repairs (imo).

I would say its worth looking at the legal position. Although you have very limited legal rights in a private sale, its also fair to say that if you asked questions and/or were told obviously misleading or incorrect replies/information (one owner vs the four or that the noise you questioned was normal) then you may have some redress.

Your best option would be to get the seller to take it back for the price you paid.

Do some research (and do it quickly) on what your options are.

Hi, Gotagetz -

..........I'm well aware of the abysmal G.M engines - and I'd never touch one with a bargepole - I was in the trade long enough and avoided them like a plague.

Yes, agreed chains, like any component can wear, but these were an attempt by Opel to develop a small engine on the cheap.

Contrarywise I can only recall ever doing a couple of chain replacements on Toyota, and both were due to neglect more than anything else - using the wrong oil for one !!

I am sorry to read about your problem Claire, I don't think you would have any luck going down the legal route, buyer beware when purchasing privately I've always been told, and best to take somebody with you that has a bit of knowledge about motor's when going to look at same. I think there are probably only two options, to try and source a second hand engine with somebody maybe helping you, mechanic preferably and then swap the engines over and u will know ur maximum cost's before purchasing an engine once u find out  1. the engine cost and 2. the mechanic's fee or maybe as a first route see can you trade ur car in against something else and see how much you are going to loose, I don't think a car dealer would give u a great amount for a car that need's an engine and he will notice the engine noise and question u about it. Maybe  webuyanycar.com or similar. is a possibllity. I think I would be trying to get rid of the car as ur experience would leave a very bad taste. Good luck.

While it is true you have very little legal comeback if something goes wrong, I believe that if you were deliberately lied to in response to questions you asked then that is quite serious and would be classed as misrepresentation and fraud.

I still think seeking proper advice on this is essential and that you have to be prepared to follow up on actions advised. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Of course u are right Mooly. But i can't see how she could prove anything was said. Her word against the sellers.  But yes it is worth looking into. Tho from people i know who were in same position the buyer looses out. 

• Like 1

As Kisbel suggested, are there any warning lights telling you there is something wrong? Do they all come on and go out when the engine starts?

If there is no “oil pressure low” warning light lit while driving or at idle, then the bearings in the engine are probably OK, and if it is not burning oil the cylinder bores are probably OK too.

Water pumps and alternator bearings can make strange noises when worn.

keep an eye on the oil level, and see how it goes.

These wee engines are noisy in an off beat three cylinder sort of way, when accelerating briskly, which can sound odd if you are not used to it!

Get a second opinion from another garage and get them to connect an oil pressure gauge to measure the pressure. Does the oil pressure warning light come on at any time when the engine is running?

can you describe the noise that you hear when you accelerate?   is it a kind of a rattling noise? and does it go away when the engine warms up?

It can happen to anybody as you expect the car servicing to decline before it is sold so you may  dismiss the extra noise. Even if you had someone with you would still have to test drive it yourself, I was only allowed to drive my yaris  round the block a couple of times then forced to quickly make a decision. I did buy the Avensis alone, but the Yaris I did not bring a car expert but a good negotiater who was able to lower the price.

Ideally it would be better if you could take the car to a garage to have a look or force the seller to do a mot at a garage of your choosing before buying.

It appears. Claire joined the forum last Friday morning around 9:30am. Frostyballs asked the question private sale or dealer? Claire replied approx 30 min after first posting. Since then Claire has visited the forum once, that was Sunday evening. You would think people who have a problem and asking for help would visit more frequently and make comments about questions asked/advice given.

May be genuine reason why Claire can’t visit more regular, but generally, I can’t figure people out who post but then do a disappearing act.

• Thanks 1

They expect miracle solution, none is presented within the ever shortening attention spam we now have, they leave the forum and drive the car until it breaks.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links