Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 2.0 CVT AWD

enyajtrebor

Hi,

I am considering replacing my 2.2D 2013 Icon and 2006 Yaris for a single vehicle, a 2018 2.0 petrol CVT, ideally AWD and auto box

Any experiences please good or bad and also as it relates to towing a caravan.

Thanks

Rob

A 2018 2.0 petrol CVT will be both auto and AWD - the CVT is by definition an automatic gearbox and Toyota didn't make a FWD / 2WD variant of that model.

I've no personal experience but the 2.0 VVTi petrol engine is / was well established and well regarded so shouldn't give any problems. Toyota's implementation of the CVT is considered a good example of that style of gearbox.

The kerb weight is broadly the same as your 2013 Icon but the braked towing capacity is 1500 kg (vs. 2000 kg for a 2.2 diesel). I don't tow but I suspect that the diesel will be the better and more relaxed tow car - the petrol provides around 200 NM torque at 4000 rpm vs the diesel's 300+ NM torque at around 2000 rpm.

Others may well have more relevant practical experience ...

Personally I wouldn't tow with a CVT. The Diesel is much more suitable for towing.

It's gonna suck fuel like crazy. My own 1.2 CVT has resently been pulling a 500 kg moving trailer. Quite big and non-aerodynamic. Fuel consumption was only 25 mpg. The car is allowed towing 1100 kg, I can only imagine how that must feel... 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links