Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fault codes P0093 and P0106

Tugg

Auris 2.0 D4D going into limp mode with Fault codes P0093 (Fuel system leak detected- Large leak) and P0106 (Manifold absolute pressure/barometric pressure circuit range performance problem). There is no common symptom it can go 50 miles without an issue and at other times it can fault 3 times in 10 miles. Tried fitting a new fuel filter (Bosch) and putting 500Ml of Liqui moly diesel purge. Any and all thoughts greatly appreciated. 

The diagnostics are really simple for P0106 basically so long as P0105, P0107 or P0108 are not on as well as P0106 then replace the Turbo pressure sensor.

P0093 is more complex basically the car is seeing a significant drop in fuel pressure from the high pressure pump to the common rail so suspects a fuel leak, there are many things that can cause this some of which are listed in Technical service bulletins:

EG-0044T-0310-EN

Model Name : RAV4, COROLLA, COROLLA VERSO, AURIS, AVENSIS

Model Code : ALA30, ADE150, AUR10, ADE157, ADT250, ADT251

Subject : MIL light illuminated. Diagnostic Trouble Code P0088 or P0093

DESCRIPTION OF PHENOMENON Some customers may complain about engine MIL light coming on. The engine power may be reduced due to fail-safe condition. Diagnostic Trouble Code P0088 or P0093.

PRODUCTION CHANGE The Suction Control Valve changed to make it less sensitive to scratching.

REPAIR PROCEDURE Reprogram the ECU with at least the minimum available calibration ID. Replace Suction Control Valve with new design part

Part # 04226-26020 ( for Auris, Avensis & Verso NOT RAV4

EG-0068T-0514

Subject: Knocking noise and DTC P0093 due to injector nozzle deformation in AD engine.

Models: AURIS; AVENSIS; COROLLA; RAV4; TOYOTA RAV4; VERSO

Model codes: ADE150; ADE157; ADE186; ADT270; ADT271; ADE150; ALA40; ALA41; ALA49; ALA30; ALA35; AUR20; AUR21

DESCRIPTION OF PHENOMENON Some customers may experience and report knocking noise and/or DTC P0093 being triggered. The nozzle of the injector might corrode, deform and crack due to condensation water created inside the cylinder.

PRODUCTION CHANGE The design of the Injector has been changed.

image.thumb.png.863836dc484190797a5887ddc5161e7a.png

If any injector appears as above replace ALL injectors with modified parts

Modified part number 1AD-FTV 23670-29116

• Like 1

Both codes come up simultaneously so guessing turbo pressure is just a symptom of the fuel issue. Cannot see any external fuel leak so suspect injector nozzle issue (Hence injector purge), car runs fine and sits at idle without missing a beat and the live data also looks good. I was looking to see if anyone had come across the same symptoms/issue and could narrow down the search and cost. 

Most common cause of P0093 is a failing SCV valve and other than an occasional dripping injector nozzle actual physical leaks are almost unheard of.

The car sets P0093 because the pressure created and measured in the fuel pump isn't replicated on the common rail, most common cause is the SCV valve sticking causing the rail pressure to drop or less common is an injector not holding pressure.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info Devon it’s greatly appreciated and the site is a great sounding board, I’ll investigate what is involved and whether i can do it myself or if I need the dealer to reprogram ECU to new SCV and if so what the rough cost will be. 

4 hours ago, Tugg said:

Thanks for the info Devon it’s greatly appreciated and the site is a great sounding board, I’ll investigate what is involved and whether i can do it myself or if I need the dealer to reprogram ECU to new SCV and if so what the rough cost will be. 

You  can reprogram it yourself using Toyota techstream software, you just need an adapter cable, ~10GBP or so on ebays and alike.

Workshop manual >> https://www.autocats.ws/manual/toyota/auris_corolla_zze-zr-nde-ade/rm04f0e/index2.html

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys I have a rav4 t180 2006 

The car was having trouble starting would go a short journey and then into limp mode and then turn it self off I’ll give it a couple of minutes it would fire eventually, but then fell start again. called the AA out he could not work out what the problem was the car carried on working as normal so I managed to drive it home I could not take it to the mechanics as it was a Sunday. Been trying to turn her over for the last  last two days shes unable to  start.

I have the same error code ESC failure system maintenance as stated above and the AA had picked up this fuel leakage I would like to add I have the fuel filler pipe changed just over a week ago as it was all corroded. 

Any help on What could it be?

• 3 weeks later...

Just noticed your post Jonny, first thing would be to check fuel filter and ensure it is fully pressurised that way you know there is no blockage issue, if in doubt remove and renew. i've ordered a new SCV and changing it next week when i get home so i'll hopefully be able to update this thread regards my error codes and say if this resolves the issue. 

• 1 month later...

Anymore info on this code problem as I'm having same problems with my rav 4 2006 thanks new member 

13 minutes ago, oilcan5328 said:

Anymore info on this code problem as I'm having same problems with my rav 4 2006 thanks new member 

Check the fuel filter, also by any chance are you running a tubing box/remap? Remove it and the fault will disappear, alternatively if it’s adjustable reduce the offset slightly.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/24/2019 at 4:18 PM, Tugg said:

Just noticed your post Jonny, first thing would be to check fuel filter and ensure it is fully pressurised that way you know there is no blockage issue, if in doubt remove and renew. i've ordered a new SCV and changing it next week when i get home so i'll hopefully be able to update this thread regards my error codes and say if this resolves the issue. 

On 9/3/2019 at 12:15 PM, JOnnyjb said:

Hi guys I have a rav4 t180 2006 

The car was having trouble starting would go a short journey and then into limp mode and then turn it self off I’ll give it a couple of minutes it would fire eventually, but then fell start again. called the AA out he could not work out what the problem was the car carried on working as normal so I managed to drive it home I could not take it to the mechanics as it was a Sunday. Been trying to turn her over for the last  last two days shes unable to  start.

I have the same error code ESC failure system maintenance as stated above and the AA had picked up this fuel leakage I would like to add I have the fuel filler pipe changed just over a week ago as it was all corroded. 

Any help on What could it be?

Latest update, SVC replaced with new unit which has resulted in no change! Now going down of checking injectors, will keep you all updated to the bitter end. 

• 4 months later...

Final update, issue was combination of duff injector and injector seals. Found injector bottom compression seals leaking on x2 cylinders one of which also had a duff injector, not sure which came first! Toyota have upgraded/changed these seals (spooky) all changed out and car runs as it should. Hope this helps