Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How To Seal EPB Actuator from water ingress

sproutdreamer

I have followed many posts about failure of the EPB Actuator including following water ingress. Is there a way of adding sealant or something to help ensure that water cannot get in and damage the works. So where to add sealant?

I have taken these things apart and IMHO they are garbage and not designed for the long haul. Inside there is a cheap brushed DC motor which drives a turnbuckle arrangement to pull the cables. It doesn't look quality. There is also a PCB with motor drive circuits, plus power regulation and communication circuits.

I suspect water ingress occurs via the cables and cable entry. As ambient temperature fluctuates then 'breathing' occurs and you will inevitably get some moisture inside. I took apart a 6 year old unit that was playing up and there were signs of moisture and corrosion on the motor. Dried it out, lubed the mechanical parts and got it working again. The price of new units from Toyota is completely insane.

• Like 2

IMHO the real problem with these is the price Toyota charge for the replacement part. They look like something the component manufacturer has knocked out for about £100. If you could buy replacements for that sort of price no one would complain too much about having to replace one now and again! I just hope that as time goes on another component manufacturer might start producing aftermarket replacements for these at a lower cost. 

• Like 2