Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Key Fob

Eskimo Quinn

Hey all, 

Battery dying in my Rav Four key fob. Screw is getting shredded when I try to open for a replacement. If I open the car by key the alarm sounds, not good. 

Have enclosed pics so would be great to hear how to stop alarm going off when using key opening and what Battery is needed for key shown in piccs.

Many thanks for any answers

IMG_20190823_202816.jpg

IMG_20190823_202808.jpg

Try turning the ignition on to silence the alarm.

That works and I do it but not optimal. Neighbors have a baby. Can't I stop the alarm until I get the fob fixed?

If you're prepared to leave the alarm off, you can lock it with the mechanical key, that won't set the alarm.

Another way, is to press the lock button on the driver's armrest, then hold the door handle in the open position while closing the door (but make sure the key is not inside).  That will again lock the car without setting the alarm.

Both options also mean the car is not deadlocked, so you have to chose between less security and more peace!

Do you not have another fob?

I think the problem is that the alarm remains set when it is silenced by turning the ignition off.  i.e whenever the door is opened with the ignition off, the alarm will sound, despite the method used to lock the car.  I'm not familiar with 2013 models, but I think the OP is right that he needs to fix the keyfob to reset the alarm.

There are posts on the web which say the alarm can be disabled with Toyota Techstream, but they all seem to be from the US, and there are differences between Toyota alarm systems in US and Europe.  Probably worth a punt, as it's a lot less than a visit to Mr Toyota, and you would have it to address any future problems.

Also, if you have Techstream, you can get a spare keyfob on the web (including cutting from the code or a photo) and program the car yourself.  That saved me more than four times the cost of my Techstream.

Your key looks like mine (2005) and not a bit like the keys for 2013 cars on the web.  Anyway, my Battery is CR1816 3V.  (could be CR 1616 - very small characters, and I can't find 1816 anywhere).

5 hours ago, IanML said:

I think the problem is that the alarm remains set when it is silenced by turning the ignition off.

I should have said "...by turning the ignition ON"

Thanks all. Many useful and helpful replies. Car is not 2013, 10 years older I guess - we were not first owners. Anyway, fantastic family car. Regularly drive other much more expensive cars and always happy to be back in the Rav

Well, that explains why the key looked wrong.  You should update your profile (click your name top-right) to avoid misleading others in future posts.

Hi, I went to my local Toyota dealers and they changed the batteries for free, I just paid for the batteries. Mike.