Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Service Parts At Toyota Dealers

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Quick one guys

The annual service is due shortly.

Rang my dealers to explain that my partner has only covered 1000 miles approx since the last service last year (as explained in my previous thread) and they recommended that we change the oil & filter only.

We get trade prices which really helps. However we have 2 options this time.

We either buy the oil and filter at a cost of just under 60.00 i think

Or

They have an offer whereby you get the sir filter...pollen filter...sump washer AND A FREE 5L OIL...for nearly the same price as our 1st option but they recon the free oil is a much lower grade!

Is this true? I didnt know Toyota sild different grades oil for 1 type of car.

You get the proper oil for the t27 which is what they recommend...this is the expensive one and then a lower grade at 15.00 for 5l which they say can cause issues.

Im confused! Any help guys?

Sounds a bit suspect to me. Is this a Toyota dealer?

Are these just parts prices for you to fit yourself, or is this an 'offer' for them to do the work as well? 

If the latter then they are saying they do a service offer and that if you choose that option then the oil they use on that offer might cause you problems. If its just a parts offer then they should make it clear the oil either is or isn't suitable for your use.   

2 minutes ago, Shavestick said:

Diesel or petrol?

So sorry...2.0 2010 diesel

36 minutes ago, Mooly said:

Sounds a bit suspect to me. Is this a Toyota dealer?

Are these just parts prices for you to fit yourself, or is this an 'offer' for them to do the work as well? 

If the latter then they are saying they do a service offer and that if you choose that option then the oil they use on that offer might cause you problems. If its just a parts offer then they should make it clear the oil either is or isn't suitable for your use.   

I agree.

Been buying parts from our local toyota dealer for years...didnt know you get 5w 30 in different grades !!!!

We always do diy services...never an issue...but still follow advice from our trusted dealer...known them for centuries...e.g if the break fluid renewal is due...we order the fluid in line with the service parts and get it done.

IMG-20190823-WA0009.jpg

Other current offers if anybody is interested!

Was nice of them to app me their brochure pics!

The epb for the avensis range is an interesting offer lol...

IMG-20190823-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20190823-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20190823-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20190823-WA0005.jpg

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Been buying parts from our local toyota dealer for years...didnt know you get 5w 30 in different grades !!!!

I wonder if he meant the A#, B#,C#?

9 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

I wonder if he meant the A#, B#,C#?

Whats the A B and C about mate?

IIRC Toyota do two grades of 5W30. A semisynthetic 'FE' and a fully synthetic 'PFE'.

For the OPs car the FE will be fine because it meets the spec for the engine.

Toyota is not an oil company so they buy in Mobil oil and rebrand. The dealers, being franchises, will buy in oil in bulk for their workshops and it might not be Toyota branded at all. A relative of mine work as service manager at a Toyota dealer a few years back and the bulk oil was coming in from Shell.

1 minute ago, mrfixer said:

IIRC Toyota do two grades of 5W30. A semisynthetic 'FE' and a fully synthetic 'PFE'.

For the OPs car the FE will be fine because it meets the spec for the engine.

Toyota is not an oil company so they buy in Mobil oil and rebrand. The dealers, being franchises, will buy in oil in bulk for their workshops and it might not be Toyota branded at all. A relative of mine work as service manager at a Toyota dealer a few years back and the bulk oil was coming in from Shell.

I understand...so you get 5w 30 semi synthetic and 5w 30 fully synthetic 

However the diesel avensis we have can only take fully synthetic...correct?

They def said you get two types of fully synthetic 5w 30...it dazed me to say the least

I'd be surprised if there were two fully synthetic 5w30's.  If this is the car that only does 1000 miles a year then I'd be inclined just to buy a filter and then get myself some oil elsewhere. My local factors have Shell Helix fully synth 5W30 at about £20 for 5L.  I think the Diesel 2.0 needs 7L of oil ?

11 minutes ago, mrfixer said:

I'd be surprised if there were two fully synthetic 5w30's.  If this is the car that only does 1000 miles a year then I'd be inclined just to buy a filter and then get myself some oil elsewhere. My local factors have Shell Helix fully synth 5W30 at about £20 for 5L.  I think the Diesel 2.0 needs 7L of oil ?

Id be happy to use a different brand in my Aygo however my partner is of a different breed lol...everything has to be genuine toyota.

5.7L to be precise...which means paying for a 5L plus an additional 1L at just under £10.00

What are the grades specified for the 2.0 D4D in the manual?

At least with the Toyota petrols the engines seems to be built for a wider than normal tolerance of different grades with one recommended grade.

Both of my petrols the T27 1.8 and the Yaris 1.33 can drink according to the manual synthetic, semi synthetic and even a 10W40 semi if the recommended grade (0W20 or 5W30) is not available.

There are variations in the 5W30 for sure but after years of using 5W30 full synthetic in different Toyota petrols I believe that Toyota don't build very narrow tolerance inside the grade like VAG and GM.

A 2.0D 2011 T27 will need the PFE grade don't get hung up on semi/fully synthetic etc. Toyota don't specify this and a Semi synthetic would be fine, what they do specify is an ACEA grade which in the case of this Avensis is C2 this means the oil has to be a low SAPS oil to meet the requirements of the Diesel particulate filter the 5w30 PFE meets this the 5w30 FE does not. The exact specs are:

Preferred 0w30 which meets ACEA C2

Acceptable 5w30 which meets ACEA C2

Toyota do sell both of the above as 0w30 PFE and 5w30 PFE both happen to Synthetic oils. The pamphlett you have with the offers does let you get the "kit" with free oil and pay to upgrade the oil 

hi let me get a few facts correct here ,your asking advice on servicing your car which has done only 1000miles since the last service .and what is the correct oil to use .so you haven't got a extended warranty making you use the toyota steal a ship I'm presuming here.and you do your own servicing .

ok this is what you have to do here .check all your levels including tyres condition etc .im presuming there was no items found when you serviced your car last time like brakes low or leaks etc. Now any 5w30 low saps oil will do if your doing low mileage .but the bonus here is you don't need to change your oil after 1000 miles just give the car a good run every now and then to burn off the condensation in the oil . Now just drive your car and enjoy and stop wasting your money .

Thank you for all the input fellow members, much appreciated.

We performed the oil & filter change this morning & all went well, other than we had to run out to buy a filter wrench cup to remove the oil filter, if it helps anybody for reference purposes it is a 64.5mm that you will need!

The air filter was super clean hence no need for a replacement, and so was the pollen filter but we gave both a bit of a vacumn anyway.

One issue we did have was the amount of oil required. The dealers advised 5.7L. The handbook mentioned various amounts dependant on the engine model, from what i understood i think it stated 6.3L. We rang motors factors that were open today, Halfords and parkers stated 6.3L.

We settled for what Toyota advised us at 5.7L, the dipstick reads bang on. Fingers crossed we got this right!