Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2.0L Touring Sports Fuel economy.

sundodger

Just back from a 1200 mile jaunt from Glasgow to Southampton. Out via Newcastle, Lincolnshire and Norfolk and back via the M6 over the course of 2 weeks. We didn’t flog the car as we are just getting used to it and were not in any hurry. It only has 1800 miles on the click now. Averaged 56.5 MPG using the onboard trip computer. How does that compare to other 2.0Ls? Is this a reasonable mileage for the model? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please update your profile to include the Corolla.

On 8/24/2019 at 8:09 PM, sundodger said:

Just back from a 1200 mile jaunt from Glasgow to Southampton. Out via Newcastle, Lincolnshire and Norfolk and back via the M6 over the course of 2 weeks. We didn’t flog the car as we are just getting used to it and were not in any hurry. It only has 1800 miles on the click now. Averaged 56.5 MPG using the onboard trip computer. How does that compare to other 2.0Ls? Is this a reasonable mileage for the model? Thanks.

I have the hatchback 2L version.

Best trip from on-board display was 58.1mpg over 150miles mixed driving. 100miles dual carriageway  and 30 miles urban and 20 miles hills.

Recorded all petrol and miles and over 1700 miles averaged 54mpg from new.

Seems to be improving slowly but that could be due to adapting my driving style to the new car.

I have a theory that seems to be showing best driving style as ECO for urban and hills then use NORMAL for dual carriage way and motorways. Will update theory after a few more trips.

Will do but can you point this newbie in the right direction please.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have the hatchback 2L version.
Best trip from on-board display was 58.1mpg over 150miles mixed driving. 100miles dual carriageway  and 30 miles urban and 20 miles hills.
Recorded all petrol and miles and over 1700 miles averaged 54mpg from new.
Seems to be improving slowly but that could be due to adapting my driving style to the new car.
I have a theory that seems to be showing best driving style as ECO for urban and hills then use NORMAL for dual carriage way and motorways. Will update theory after a few more trips.

Thanks. Looks about right then. Didn’t even think about using the different modes buttons as my previous auto didn’t have it and still getting used to the car. Thanks for the tip.

There are many you tube videos for Prius drivers, should be same/similar for Corollas, or perhaps already videos from Corolla drivers. I watched loads and picked up many tips.  More then a few tourneys in this good weather I getting 80+ Mpg, mostly over 70mpg

1 hour ago, sundodger said:

Log on. Click on user name towards top right corner. Click on 'edit profile'  - top right on the title bar. When in 'edit profile' scroll down to 'Toyota model', make amendment, then scroll down to 'save' button, and save.

1 hour ago, sundodger said:

Re. Editing your profile:

Click on your user name at top right of the forum and choose "Profile" from the dropdown. Then use "Edit Profile" link at the top of profile banner area to amend your information. Don't forget to "Save" when you're done.

Log on. Click on user name towards top right corner. Click on 'edit profile'  - top right on the title bar. When in 'edit profile' scroll down to 'Toyota model', make amendment, then scroll down to 'save' button, and save.

Thanks. Done it.
Only problem is I have a 2019 Corolla, a 2018 Yaris and a 2019 Aygo. You could say I like Toyotas as my son has a 2016 Aygo too.

• Like 1

Re. Editing your profile:
Click on your user name at top right of the forum and choose "Profile" from the dropdown. Then use "Edit Profile" link at the top of profile banner area to amend your information. Don't forget to "Save" when you're done.

Thanks. I was looking for the edit tab in the Tapatalk app and not the website. All done now.

Hi Sundodger, welcome to the 2.0 Corolla world.

Just a quick question I asked a few weeks ago: does you Battery charge via the engine when driving on the motorway or does it stay about the same? I know the Battery will usually go up to two bars below maximum but mine doesn’t appear to charge at all except for when braking.

Hi Sundodger, welcome to the 2.0 Corolla world.
Just a quick question I asked a few weeks ago: does you battery charge via the engine when driving on the motorway or does it stay about the same? I know the battery will usually go up to two bars below maximum but mine doesn’t appear to charge at all except for when braking.

Thanks for the welcome.
When I was looking at the info screen I noticed that the Battery did charge to the 2 bars below full then the power was to the wheels only. The other thing I noticed is that sometimes the car was in EV mode whilst at high speed (65-70) but the engine was still running at 1000 rpm. There were no red arrows from the engine though.

Thank you for your response. I have driven for almost an hour on the motorway and it doesn’t recharge the Battery at all and it stays at the same level it were before I joined the motorway.

Usually I join with just 3-4 bars and when I exit the motorway it’s exactly the same. Is this unusual?

Thank you for your response. I have driven for almost an hour on the motorway and it doesn’t recharge the battery at all and it stays at the same level it were before I joined the motorway.
Usually I join with just 3-4 bars and when I exit the motorway it’s exactly the same. Is this unusual?

Hopefully someone with more miles on their clock could help but I will pay more attention the next time I am on the motorway.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/25/2019 at 6:19 PM, Cjohnston1982 said:

Just a quick question I asked a few weeks ago: does you battery charge via the engine when driving on the motorway or does it stay about the same? I know the battery will usually go up to two bars below maximum but mine doesn’t appear to charge at all except for when braking.

Anyone notice if the Battery charges on the motorway? On a long drive at 70mph I’m barely getting 50 mpg. Does this sound normal? 

On 8/25/2019 at 6:19 PM, Cjohnston1982 said:

welcome to the 2.0 Corolla world.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2019 at 10:59 PM, Cjohnston1982 said:

Anyone notice if the battery charges on the motorway? On a long drive at 70mph I’m barely getting 50 mpg. Does this sound normal? 

I have Excel 2.0 Hatchback since May. Yes, I often get up to 70 mph on Battery only. I always have the map and the hybrid "diagram" on the display, and notice the system is alternating between EV, EV and engine, and engine and Battery charge. The Battery never charges fully, unless you are off motorway and driving down hill.  As far as MPG, mine is usually between 51 and 53 mpg. I don't reset it much, maybe every 2 or 3 weeks, so this is cumulative. It is rare to get to 60 mpg as some have said, but most of my driving is on rural roads, with some motorway, not much town / heavy and slow traffic driving, so the battery is mainly assisting the engine, rather than EV only.

• Thanks 1

On 8/25/2019 at 9:08 PM, sundodger said:

Thanks for the welcome.
When I was looking at the info screen I noticed that the battery did charge to the 2 bars below full then the power was to the wheels only. The other thing I noticed is that sometimes the car was in EV mode whilst at high speed (65-70) but the engine was still running at 1000 rpm. There were no red arrows from the engine though.

Yes, I notice that sometimes the engine runs at 1000 rpm when the car is in EV mode, with no arrows indicating that the Battery is being charged. This happens on odd occasions, not necessarily when at high speed. Also, engine temp gauge indicates the engine is at optimal temp, so it is not just getting warmed up. Maybe the engine is charging the 12 volt Battery?

My Touring Sports 2.0 runs smoothly and frugally: 5,69 l/100km (little under 50mpg). With just 3000km on the clock (1870 miles). With the old Corolla Verso I was getting 39mpg. But 90% of my mileage is highway, where I try not to exceed the limit too much, usually with cruise control on 125-135km/h (77/84mph). It's a huge improvement for me but I could run lighter on the right foot pedal... In my defense I have a hot summer (air conditioning almost always on) 

9 hours ago, Timmon said:

Yes, I notice that sometimes the engine runs at 1000 rpm when the car is in EV mode, with no arrows indicating that the battery is being charged. This happens on odd occasions, not necessarily when at high speed. Also, engine temp gauge indicates the engine is at optimal temp, so it is not just getting warmed up. Maybe the engine is charging the 12 volt battery?

For what it's worth, It's the Toyota hybrid convention that the 12v Battery is charged from a dedicated feed from the inverter.  This is the same inverter that handles all the high-voltage power management for the motor/generators.  So it is the 'traction' high voltage Battery that keeps the 12v one charged, and the engine that keeps the high voltage one charged (which you can see on the dash).

As a thought, perhaps the engine is running at 1000 rpm when it does in order to keep the exhaust catalyst at its operating temperature.  In a 'normal' petrol engine this would be about 400 degrees celsius.  If it is allowed to get too cool I would expect the emissions to climb, which is to be avoided!  And the only thing that heats the catalyst is engine exhaust.

Perhaps someone else knows different....?

HTH

I noticed on my recent journey while stuck in an interminable queue that when the ICE is running purely to charge the Battery it runs at 1,000 rpm. I was a bit surprised it was that low. I'd have thought it would run at 1,500 or even 2,000.

I have a 2.0 Design hatchback and most of the time i average about 54.mpg but the car best up to now average 60.4 mpg but my worst as been about 44.mpg the car as done less than 600 miles.

20191006_160119.jpg

When I first got my 2.0 in the summer the engine would rarely charge the Battery and the Battery would stay at 3-4 bars. I originally thought there was a fault with the car as my current Prius and the Auris Hybrid I had before would always charge to 2 bars below maximum when the engine is on. 

Now that it’s become colder things have become more interesting. The engine stays on more now and as a result the Battery charges much more and I quite often see 2-3 below maximum.

Sometimes the engine will stay on at 1000rpm, drives on electric only and it won’t charge the battery so I’m guessing this is for cabin heat or to heat engine components. Sometimes though the engine will stay at 1400ish rpm, and this is when the battery charges.

I've noticed a difference when the outside temp is below 16c. At that temperature the car won't even back up my drive on electric but instead starts the engine as soon as I ask for the slightest power. I think it's also lacking electric power in general because it's easier to accidentally wake the ICE up when trying to maintain all electric running. I think my right foot needs to re-learn how far to move the accelerator to keep it in electric mode.

On 9/30/2019 at 10:28 PM, AndrueC said:

I noticed on my recent journey while stuck in an interminable queue that when the ICE is running purely to charge the battery it runs at 1,000 rpm. I was a bit surprised it was that low. I'd have thought it would run at 1,500 or even 2,000.

Keep looking, AndrueC. I noticed this too, but equally, the hybrid indicator sometimes shows no charge from the ICE, and no power to the wheels, yet runs at 1K. May well be what Gerg suggests, to do with the  exhaust catalytic converter.