Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Issue with a slipped rubber part under rear spring

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Hi guys,

Whilst inspecting the underside of my 2008 Aygo today, i noticed on the rear drivers side coil spring, what looks like a big rubber thingy that sits underneath the coil spring, has moved to one side and lifted!

I tried tucking it back under the spring but it is impossible. The opposite side is fine. The rubber is undamaged.

Does anybody know how i may fix this issue and is it a safety issue in anyway or an mot failure?

Pic attached however i tucked it in best i could.

IMG-20190825-WA0000.jpg

I can't make out the photo too well but if you want to re-seat the spring then first lift and support the body. Put a jack under each side of the rear beam under the back of the spring seats.  Remove the lower shock bolts. Lower the jacks until you can pull out the spring. Do what you need to do. Put spring back. Lift beam until shock low bolts line up with holes and go in. Tighten bolts. Job done.

That will be a spring insulator, which helps to cushion the spring while in use.

It needs to be put back before it falls out completely.

You could jack the car up, take the wheel off and you might find the compression is lessened enough for you to prise it back into place, or if it hasn't you could use a couple of spring compressors to compress the spring a little so you can get it back into place.

Or speak nicely to a garage ...it is not a big job, or shouldn't be.

By the way, some MOT testers are not keen on spring assisters (ref. your other post) while others don't care. I am not sure on the latest rules about them, but it may be worth checking if you have a friendly MOT place.

3 hours ago, johnan said:

That will be a spring insulator, which helps to cushion the spring while in use.

It needs to be put back before it falls out completely.

You could jack the car up, take the wheel off and you might find the compression is lessened enough for you to prise it back into place, or if it hasn't you could use a couple of spring compressors to compress the spring a little so you can get it back into place.

Or speak nicely to a garage ...it is not a big job, or shouldn't be.

By the way, some MOT testers are not keen on spring assisters (ref. your other post) while others don't care. I am not sure on the latest rules about them, but it may be worth checking if you have a friendly MOT place.

Cheers johnan and mrfixer...everybody that chips in even the smallest of advice are true assets to this forum...much appreciated guys.

Funny you guys mentioned spring compressor...reserved some online this morning at Halfords...clicked in my brain as soon as i woke up...worth having the right tools in your garage!

I will report back once fixed.

Cheers again

If you went and looked at most of the Aygos, you would see that they have that slipped rubber washer. It is of no importance to the running of the car. Our Aygo from 2008 has had it since we bought it in 2010. It has passed all the mot and even Toyota garage thinks it is not worthy of correction. So just relax. Your spring won't fall off. Even if you did manage to readjust its position, it will probably slip after a few days!

17 hours ago, rajivrattna said:

If you went and looked at most of the Aygos, you would see that they have that slipped rubber washer. It is of no importance to the running of the car. Our Aygo from 2008 has had it since we bought it in 2010. It has passed all the mot and even Toyota garage thinks it is not worthy of correction. So just relax. Your spring won't fall off. Even if you did manage to readjust its position, it will probably slip after a few days!

This is interesting...whats causing them to slip though? Its an important part in my opinion if its cushioning the spring.

I will attempt the repositioning regardless as such things niggle me sadly. I love my car be it its getting pretty dated but still so cute though im sure youll all agree!