Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is this pic an air con leak or just oil

justinbarrow

I have a 2007 Toyota Auris and I keep losing air con gas every 2 weeks and the garage keeps re-filling but couldn't locate the leak, they put some dye in and said to run it. Tonight I thought id shine a UV torch and see if I can see anything and the only thing that looks suspicious is the front radiator which just looks like an oily leak but not sure if its air con (is this the dye the garage was talking about) They told me they vacuumed it and it was holding vacuum so felt it was a small leak.

If this needs replacing does it require both radiators or just the one - Thanks everyone 

1.jpg

2.jpg

5.jpg

Looks like a leak to me, apart from the obvious greasy stain, the color under the UV is also correct.

The AC uses it's own condenser, so no need to replace the car radiator.

Here's the AC parts location, to get a better overview (for automatic AC system)

image.thumb.png.c3cd8e489e7cfc41957463833c773dd7.png

• Thanks 1

oil will fluoresce just like the dye in the aircon system

i would get a degreasing spray and remove all traces

of oil then recheck for any aircon leaks.

you dont want to be wasting your time & money for no reason.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, furtula said:

Looks like a leak to me, apart from the obvious greasy stain, the color under the UV is also correct.

The AC uses it's own condenser, so no need to replace the car radiator.

Here's the AC parts location, to get a better overview (for automatic AC system)

image.thumb.png.c3cd8e489e7cfc41957463833c773dd7.png

Thanks Furula - Much appreciated 

I've worked on a good number of a/c systems in my time and that definitely looks like an a/c leak to me. A Auris condenser from a supplier like Nissins will be only £70-100 and I would replace it.

• Thanks 1

Definitely a leak make sure the right oil goes in as it’s special ( if yours is a hybrid) 

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone, I'm getting it done tomorrow. I would do it myself but think it's best to get the job done at a garage as it will need to be vacuumed and filled properly. The garage I took it was great as it was leaking on the low side valve on the first visit so they replaced that re gassed it only for it to run out a week later so took it back and they vacuumed it and it held the vacuum so didn't indicate a leak refilled again and didn't charge me then after 3 days it was gone again which is when I found the stain on the condenser, hopefully this will solve it then I can chill out 🙂

Glad you getting sorted. 

Not very professional just re-gassing the should of filled with nitrogen which would of put the system under pressure then sprayed with leak detector. 

The two lots of gas that filled your system takes 14 years to disappear from the O-Zone layer ( so I’ve been told )  

new cars run 1234yf that takes 3 days so say 

Best way to find a leak is to use soapy water spray bottle, the leak shows up as bubbles venting from the leak point. Works every time and V cheap. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tugg said:

Best way to find a leak is to use soapy water spray bottle, the leak shows up as bubbles venting from the leak point. Works every time and V cheap. 

That's exactly what I've always done. Found plenty of leaks over the years with that method.

An aircon engineer I use always swears by the soapy water spray bottle method. He says its often more precise than using fancy dyes and lights