Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

General consensus on Infotainment?

Ezcritique

So, several comments around infotainment on new Rav4 being an afterthought.

Does anyone actually rate it? Or think its right on the money for a 2019 "all new" vehicle? 

Should Toyota think again or perhaps finally give it up and release/sanction Apple and Android compatibility with their woeful head units? 

Looking for honest opinions and if it warrants I will forward concerns raised to Toyota GB. 

I don't mind it, it's functional but for me lacking in deeper smartphone integration (Apple Car play & android Auto).

There are already people here as well as myself who have contacted Toyota GB directly but only get a stock response saying they are looking into various things.

The impression I get from emails that I got direct from Toyota GB and also the dealer as well as separate comments here is that Apple Car play and Android Auto are coming but when is the eternal question, other than it will be coming when it's ready.

1 hour ago, Ezcritique said:

Should Toyota think again or perhaps finally give it up and release/sanction Apple and Android compatibility with their woeful head units? 

it's coming & according to Devon Aygo the C-HR facelift due shortly will ship with MM19 "including Apple carplay, Android auto, OTA map updates, improved Nav functionality, e-call"

• Like 1

I have not had Apple CarPlay or Android Auto but would like the option to be able to use both and imho was a missed opportunity by Toyota when they launched the new RAV4. 

I am finding the system better than expected but would comment as follows :

DAB - far better reception than my previous BMW 

Graphics - could be sharper

Radio - would like logos of the radio stations

Mode button - would like to be able to toggle between my iPod and DAB radio rather than have to cycle between AM - FM and then DAB

Screen - would have preferred the AUS model with the buttons swapped over as the reach for me to the most used buttons is a bit of a pain as I am quite tall and sit quite away back from the wheel, ie the most used buttons nearest to me, not the passenger 

Home screen - would like direction of travel rather than North facing position on the screen

Updates OTA - the BIGGEST issue as far as I am concerned, updates via a USB stick, what’s that all about. The Toyota system is way behind on this one and their system is very clunky ! I had OTA updates on my previous BMW 3.5 years ago ! I believe youngsters will expect OTA updates as per their phones and computers and old Gits like me may find it too much of a faff, reminds me of Windows 98.

Very happy with the car, ride, performance, MPG etc and if some of the above points could be addressed at a further update then that would make the Toyota experience even better. 

• Like 2

Thanks for that, I'm still awaiting delivery and I've already had a stock response from Toyota GB about auto/Carplay. 

Updates are via a USB stick... Lol! 

I didn't know that either... Seems a bit dated

22 minutes ago, Ezcritique said:

Thanks for that, I'm still awaiting delivery and I've already had a stock response from Toyota GB about auto/Carplay.

did they say anything other than they are still looking into it?

I heard there is an update coming possibly in October for the Corolla's but i doubt that would be anything on that sort of scale!

Biggest gripe at present is the map orientation changing back to north up every time the car is restarted.

As mentioned no Apple Car Play.

Sat Nav not up to Garmin and TomTom quality.

1 hour ago, bewA said:

did they say anything other than they are still looking into it?

I heard there is an update coming possibly in October for the Corolla's but i doubt that would be anything on that sort of scale!

See other thread on Carplay/Auto for response I got from Toyota GB. 

1 hour ago, Ezcritique said:

See other thread on Carplay/Auto for response I got from Toyota GB. 

Which one, there's a few...

Got to say the infotainment is disappointing. Coming from a 4 year old A6 the sat Mac is the biggest gripe. A 4 year old car with google maps and sat imaging even in the screen between the clocks to the Rav 4 is like going from a windows 10 to a ZX82. 

The podcast function is better though as it doesn’t mix up streams, but artwork would be a great addition. Also at the time of writing, my sat nag seems to have zero traffic awareness, despite trying to use TMC and my phone as a hotspot. 

Big plus is touch screen. Similar system in the UX was impossible to use with the various strange places buttons and toggles and touchpad. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, bewA said:

Which one, there's a few...

The one below this thread..   Forgive me but I don't know how to link to it.... I'm sure it will be similar to what you were advised by them, if not the same. 

Just very non committal as you may have come  to expect by now... Lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tomfromfife said:

Biggest gripe at present is the map orientation changing back to north up every time the car is restarted.

As mentioned no Apple Car Play.

Sat Nav not up to Garmin and TomTom quality.

My 59 reg Prius sat nav was updated via Garmin licence. I don’t know if Garmin still involved with Toyota but I would be surprised if Toyota had developed the latest gear by themselves.

14 hours ago, Catlover said:

My 59 reg Prius sat nav was updated via Garmin licence. I don’t know if Garmin still involved with Toyota but I would be surprised if Toyota had developed the latest gear by themselves.

They don't, it's sub-conracted out although I am sure that they set a specification etc.

For the original Touch & Touch 2 it was Harman (now owned by Samsung) but somebody recently posted that their MM17 unit was a Pioneer iirc (I know that the Aygo & Toyota European LCVs use Pioneer because of PSA)?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links