Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Eccentric Behaviour

MC Black

I have owned an Auris since January 2018. I previously owned a Prius for a dozen years but the current model of Prius would  NOT fit into my garage - so an Auris was the next best thing.

Yesterday, when I started up the car, distances were shown on the Satellite Navigation screens in Kilometers.

When I put the car to bed the previous evening, and throughout my ownership from new, it had displayed distances in miles.

I telephoned the dealer from which I had bought the car and was told that I just had to go through all the settings screens until I found the one that set miles/kilometers and change it to miles. I did this several times but the setting reverted to kilometers when I looked at the map screen

This was extremely irritating and distracted me from driving.

Having given the matter much thought, I stopped and switched off the car, waited half a minute, restarted the car and it was back to normal.

Can anybody suggest, please, what must be done to prevent this recurring.

Very many thanks

MC Black

I think it automatically switches to KM when in Europe, seeing you are from the south of Englang, and the car was in the garage, maybe the navigation got a bit messed up.

Next time it happens, try taking the car outside until it gets the GPS lock, then it should switch back by itself.

Mine used to do that, no apparent reason. I used to switch the mpg to kpl and back that sometimes worked, but not always. You might check if your satnav is up to date.

I did not notice that the screen was displaying distance to go in kilometres until I was, say, five Minutes into my journey - would  think it had locked onto satellites by then.

I have booked it into dealer next week; I have said that it's not behaving satisfactorily and the dealer must sort it out under the 5 year guarantee.

As far as I'm  concerned, it's distracting and therefore a safety issue.

I can't see that Brexit has anything to do with it. The car has never been outside the United Kingdom and I have never given it any stupid ideas by setting distances to kilometres

MCB

Hi MC.  My Gen 4 Prius did this once or twice, but it was very rare.

As Jon says, switching in the menus to KM and back fixed it for me, every time in my case, but it only happened about 3 or 4 times in the 3 years and 40,000 miles I had the car.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Once is  twice too many times for me.

I owned a Prius for over twelve years and I never had any similar problems with that.

I was loaned a Yaris while my car was being mended a few weeks ago. I really liked the speed limiter on that and do not understand why it's not available on the Auris.

MCB

3 hours ago, MC Black said:

...I was loaned a Yaris while my car was being mended a few weeks ago. I really liked the speed limiter on that and do not understand why it's not available on the Auris...

Yes, I had this on my Gen 4 Prius, and it's on my current car too.  Another thing that, having had it, I never want to be without again.

It should be on all models, especially with the number of 20 mph speed limits these days, sometimes on roads that really don't feel like they need such a low limit.  I was even more astonished last year when I considered buying a Lexus RX that I saw on my dealer's forecourt when getting my car serviced.

It was a top of the range model, with a phenomenal number of features, and had belonged to the head of the dealership.  It was 10 months old, 5,000 miles and about £10,000 below the nearly £60,000 new price, but I declined it when I discovered that despite the price and very long list of equipment, there was no speed limiter.  Now that's even harder to understand (to me, at least).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links