Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris oil pressure light not working

JART

I'm hoping someone can help me regarding my oil pressure light (is there one on an Auris 07 plate?), I had an airbag recall March 2018 at the local Toyota garage then again in Nov 2018 for the airbag again (apparently some where fitted upside down), after this 2nd visit I noticed my hazard light switch on the dashboard wasn't working, I took it to my local garage thinking I had an electrical problem but they said it hadn't been reconnected when the airbag was looked at. Last week my car made a rubbish noise so I took it to my garage who found there was no oil in the engine (I know I should check), they filled it up but it has ruined the engine but I had no warning lights on the dashboard for this at all, should there of been one? is it a result of something not being reconnected?

Any help would be welcome but not too technical if possible as I'm not a car expert.. as you can gather by my lack of oil knowledge.

Welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Would help to know whether petrol or diesel and which engine.

I'm guessing only thing they removed was the inside trim, instrument panel is connected just by 1 single connector, so there's no possibility of something not being connected.

I'm not sure if there is a separate light, but for sure it would be either that, or you would get yellow triangle in the dash and message oil pressure low or something.

Owners manual says the following, so i presume in Optitron you would get a message instead (Optitron is digital cluster).

image.thumb.png.ef73e3f1e364ceeb48402ad949ce0147.png

image.thumb.png.9b2b002ee69f11f31ae9bf6a6df13dc7.png

• Like 1

Sorry it's a petrol engine, an Auris TR 1600.

Thank you Furtula for the reply, had no light warnings at all...

I don't know what the connector looks like of the back of the panel but I would absolutely say that it is perfectly possible to damage a single conductor in a multiway plug if the plug is simply tugged by the wires to remove it rather than carefully disconnecting it the correct way.   

The low oil level warning light only applies to diesels.

Whether or not the oil pressure warning was working, and prior to it being refilled last week, when was the oil last checked and when was it last replaced?

The oil was replaced 8000 miles ago and not checked I'm afraid, I was under the impression there would of been a warning light of some sort even if it was just the spanner symbol.

Warning lights such as low oil pressure, spanner, etc are usually a last resort warning of a major fault or similar. No substitute for doing regular checks of oil, coolant, tyre pressures, etc.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Warning lights such as low oil pressure, spanner, etc are usually a last resort warning of a major fault or similar. No substitute for doing regular checks of oil, coolant, tyre pressures, etc.

Exactly.

" is it a result of something not being reconnected " Doubtful, it's most likely that the engine oil level has not been checked since it was changed 8000 miles ago.😕

• Like 1

Depending on how long the engine was driven with low oil, the damage may be minimal. Usually the engine will sound rattly or tappetty. Not good for the top end of the engine which depend on oil and oil pressure to operate the valve train like the vvti. So if topped up immediately and only driven very short distance, hopefully topping up will enough! 

22 minutes ago, Konrad C said:

Depending on how long the engine was driven with low oil, the damage may be minimal. Usually the engine will sound rattly or tappetty. Not good for the top end of the engine which depend on oil and oil pressure to operate the valve train like the vvti. So if topped up immediately and only driven very short distance, hopefully topping up will enough! 

Yes, if you watch a few Youtube videos of people deliberately destroying engines by running them with no oil in whatsoever its quite surprising how long it often takes!

7 hours ago, Konrad C said:

Yes the oil is now sorted but unfortunately it is still making a rattly or tappetty noise when I get to 40/50mph which is why I think it's going to need a replacement engine, I think it will cost the same to find someone to strip it down.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links