Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ticking noise

Gc01

So I've repaired a a toyota yaris 2002 over the past few months because it was involved in a front crash. Now the radiator was hit back and it hit the exhaust manifold I've been told its just the gasket I need to change but the screws will probably be seized because of the consistent heating up and cooling down. Could someone give me some advise please because I don't really know what to do. 

Mk1 Yaris 1.0 models were prone to the exhaust manifolds rusting through, and making the characteristic ticking noise on hard accelleration. The location of the manifold on the front of the engine, and the design of the radiator meant that rain and moisture come through from the front and rust the manifold. 1.0 Cars with AC seem less afffected as the AC condensor helped stop water coming in from the front grille. I used to have a 1.0 1999 Mk1 and the manifold was fairly rusty on that, but as it had AC, it never got so bad that holes developed. In short, cars with the small diameter manifolds such as the one pictured (my old car), on 1.0 engines, tend to rust through, and this is likely what has happened to your car, so if this is the case, the manifold will need to be replaced, or taken to a garage to see if it can be welded.

P1020950.JPG

The exhaust manifold does look rusted but there are no holes in it and it has not had AC near it. Im pretty sure the ticking noise is just the gasket but I might have to change the manifold with it I'm not sure yet. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links