Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris wont recognise smart key

Ray Bush

My little 2013 manual petrol Yaris(non Hybrid) has a problem.

Just fitted a Garmin 55 Dashcam with parking mode (which is turned off) .It's hard wired in using a switched live ,a permanent live (for the parking mode) and an earth. I've found that the Battery keeps going flat even though the red light on the Dashcam goes off with the ignition .

The cars Battery is only a few months old ,so hopefully it isn't that .The other knock-on problem that I now have is I no longer have the Smart door opening/closing function ,or the ability to start the car by just dipping the clutch and pushing the Start button ,I now have to use the blip function on the key to open and close the doors and have to lay the key over the start push button to start it .

Would the depletion of the cars Battery have caused the smart system to stop working? ,and how can I remedy it.  

I know there are some very knowledgeable owners out there ,one of whom helped when I was removing the trim etc to gain access to the fuse board and earth points etc.

Thanks a lot.

there is a possibility that the 2 are not related. How new/old is the Battery in the fob(s)?

Ive had the car about 8 months and the batteries were in both fobs then .The remote locking and unlocking seems to work ok.

Check the preferences for the locking on the touch, assuming it is a early Mk 3, if not change the fob Battery (not sure but on the later Mk 3's the key symbol changes to amber on the dash if the fob Battery is low)

Your symptoms you describe are of a flat fob Battery

Some early mk3's used a cr2032 in the fob but most used a CR2016, pop the fob open before buying any

Ive had the car about 8 months and the batteries were in both fobs then .The remote locking and unlocking seems to work ok.

Is there a de-activation switch for the smart system? and if so where is it located on a 2013 Yaris ,could I have switched it off? or ,unless both of my key fobs have batteries that are failing...……….co-incidence.

55 minutes ago, Ray Bush said:

or ,unless both of my key fobs have batteries that are failing...……….co-incidence.

In my 2012 Avensis with smart entry/start the Battery in the unused spare ran down at pretty much the same rate as the key in use & neither would make a year. 

I'm not familiar with that Dashcam, but does it have a built in low voltage shut off to prevent the car's Battery discharging too much if the camera is in parking mode?

If not, I would certainly install one between the permanent 12v and the camera. Most of them have adjustable cut off voltages and some even have a time related shut off option too.

I have found the best solution is a separate dedicated Battery, mine is installed under the front passenger seat, which powers the camera in parking mode and charges from the car's ignition switched 12v. Not cheap though!

A 12v starting Battery is not really intended for providing Dashcam power.

I would start off by replacing the fob batteries first though. I'm just glad that I have a "conventional" entry and starting system.😎

Is there a de-activation switch for the smart system? and if so where is it located on a 2013 Yaris ,could I have switched it off? or ,unless both of my key fobs have batteries that are failing...……….co-incidence.

Thanks for all the replies and help.

Changed the remote batteries and all is now ok ………..it all works again!!!!!!

Thanks again .

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ray Bush said:

Thanks for all the replies and help.

Changed the remote batteries and all is now ok ………..it all works again!!!!!!

Thanks again .

See, we told ya! 🙂