Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hardwire dashcam in Corolla 2019

bewA

Afternoon,

I'm looking to get a Dashcam and ideally hardwire it.  From what i've seen in the manual (P.524) the fuse box is under the glove box but i was wondering which fuse would be the best one to attach to?

I'm probably looking at something like this when i decide which Dashcam to get.

Has anyone done this on their Corolla?

Hi,

Have used a few eBay cheapy cams and they do work but very poor build quality.

Got a Nexbase 212 last year and its been very good and impotantly has GPS so it records your speed and location etc.

The build quality is good and controls are logical , with it working out of the box, its cable free magnet mount is really good as you can take it off  with one hand and hide it when parked etc.

Nextbase have there own wiring installation kits if you cannot manage with the normal usb / cig lead, which I  just wire direct  to the rear of .

If you go up in their  range you can add wifi etc to transfer the data to a pc , if you do not want to connect it via  a usb cable or sd card reader.

Thanks for the reply however that wasn't quite answering my question [emoji3]

Hi, I’ve fitted a Blackvue dashcan to my Corolla as it’s discreet and doesn’t need to be removed every time you leave the car.

The fuse I use is the 12v cigarette lighter as it’ll only remain live when the ignition is on. The diagram is under the fuse box cover.

If you buy a Nextbase one from me, it comes complete with SD card, mounting and hard wire wiring kit, with instructions :thumbsup:

12 minutes ago, Parts-King said:

If you buy a Nextbase one from me, it comes complete with SD card, mounting and hard wire wiring kit, with instructions :thumbsup:

oh ok, how much are they? do you have a website?

It's the genuine accessory, comes complete, so you are not having to buy any extras to go with it. It is the Nextbase 380GW forward facing camera. I have one in my Corolla, really good image quality. You can order from me over the phone, price is £198.95 delivered INC, don't forget it comes with the hard wire kit, card, etc 

Hardwired a Dashcam into my cab using a next gen hardwired kit and a vantrue n2pro camera

Piggy backed it to one of the switched live fuses

Best for forward and rear facing in my opion

20190902_115155.jpg

• Like 1

I hardwired a NexBase 412GW to mine, I mentioned this to my Toyota dealer during car purchase (it was hardwired to my trade in vehicle), and they did it for free, using the cable from the trade-in.

Originally when getting it hardwired to my trade-in I got Halfords to  do it, doesn't cost much.

Thanks @Parts-King it's a fair bit more than i wanted to spend although the camera does look good!

I was just trying to work out where people hardwired from e.g. an existing fuse (with an extended fuse adapter thing) or one of those OBD2 port extenders or something completely different.

51 minutes ago, bewA said:

Thanks @Parts-King it's a fair bit more than i wanted to spend although the camera does look good!

I was just trying to work out where people hardwired from e.g. an existing fuse (with an extended fuse adapter thing) or one of those OBD2 port extenders or something completely different.

In my Auris, and I assume in the Corolla to, it connects/piggy backs to a fuse in the internal fusebox that is underneath the passenger footwell, choose a fuse that is only powered when ignition / accessory is on. The back of the fusebox ought to have a schematic on it to identify one.

If in doubt ask nicely at your dealership - its a 5 minute job, and if not, and you need to buy a hardwire kit, then Halfords may fit it for free if you buy the kit from them.

4 hours ago, Cbatoday said:

Best for forward and rear facing in my opion

20190902_115155.jpg

for a taxi driver who wants to cover their customers very possibly. For those who want to cover outside the rear of their vehicles only (not the cabin) I would beg to differ.

If you have piggy-backed off a switched live fuse does your parking mode work on that camera?

2 minutes ago, GilesC said:

In my Auris, and I assume in the Corolla to, it connects/piggy backs to a fuse in the internal fusebox that is underneath the passenger footwell, choose a fuse that is only powered when ignition / accessory is on. The back of the fusebox ought to have a schematic on it to identify one.

Again, if you want parking mode to work most won't off a switched fuse, you need a permanent live (a Battery protection device of some kind is advised though).

Edited by Heidfirst

8 minutes ago, Anthony Sutton said:

does hardwiring invalidate the Toyota Warranty?

Not necessarily - unless the hard wiring affects another component or system. Obviously the Dashcam installation won't be covered by the new car warranty.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Asked dealers to install my existing dash cam in my new corolla. Expected it connected direct to fusebox. They ran it through to the 12v power socket in the arm rest. Not impressed. 

To be fair, I guess that's a switched supply and easy for them to get to.  The supply is still fused, though I don't know the rating. I'm going to wire one in myself, and will fuse the Dashcam supplies (one switched, one permanent) at 2.5A, using fuse taps to existing 10A-20A  fuses.

For those who have DIY installed, were there any particular difficulties in / trick to routing the cables behind the trim?

Does anyone have a picture of what the fusebox location looks like behind the glovebox?

I have a Blueskysea B1W Dashcam and a hardwire kit but the weather is pretty horrific 😄

On 9/2/2019 at 11:05 AM, Parts-King said:

It's the genuine accessory, comes complete, so you are not having to buy any extras to go with it. It is the Nextbase 380GW forward facing camera. I have one in my Corolla, really good image quality. You can order from me over the phone, price is £198.95 delivered INC, don't forget it comes with the hard wire kit, card, etc 

Can I ask where in relation to the mirror did you place you 380GW?  The dealer I got my Corolla from put one of these in as part of a deal they were doing, only problem is they have placed it on the passengers side but just outside of the wiper sweep so when it is raining or on a cold morning when the windscreen is misted on the outside the camera cannot see anything due to said rain or mist.  It is going back in for them to move it but they were talking about just lowering it on the screen that would make it almost in the middle.  I want them to move it nearer to the mirror where the wiper goes higher up the screen.  Just interested how far from the top of the screen and horizontally from the mirror you have positioned yours?

The fuse box is not behind the glovebox its under the glovebox you need to remove the panel and the fusebox is on the left hand side

20191010_134945.jpg

20191010_134958.jpg

20191010_135016.jpg

• Like 1

I would think based on that i would go with the radio but that looks like a 15amp fuse where as the wiring kit i have has a 5amp fuse however that might not matter as i think the 5amp is for the connection to Dashcam charger and the 15amp one will remain in use on the fuse tap/adapter as from reading you have both the original fuse and the 5amp (in my case).

15 hours ago, bewA said:

I would think based on that i would go with the radio but that looks like a 15amp fuse where as the wiring kit i have has a 5amp fuse however that might not matter as i think the 5amp is for the connection to dashcam charger and the 15amp one will remain in use on the fuse tap/adapter as from reading you have both the original fuse and the 5amp (in my case).

One piece I read suggested using a base fuse of 15-30A to make sure there was enough headroom in the supply for the extra draw of the Dashcam via the 5A piggyback fuse.

Has anyone removed the "A" pillar trim in the 2019 model? If so, how did you do it?

8 minutes ago, rafletcher said:

Has anyone removed the "A" pillar trim in the 2019 model? If so, how did you do it?

If that is to route the wire, can you not push the wire carefully under the trim carefully. Did that with my Prius all the way from top of windscreen down to the lighter socket near the centre armrest, tucked in all the way, in parts I used a blunt instrument just create a gap.

• Like 1

Yeah, I do have the trim tool that was used to fit the Dashcam in my last car so could try just pushing it in, but removing the trim might make running the wire to the fuse box out of sight easier.