Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Car Diagnostic Report Oxygen Sensor fail

John Drake

I ran a OBD scan on my Avensis 2009 ,there were no error codes but the report stated Bank 1 Sensor 2 TID $85 - Manufactures Defined

value 56 min 76 max 255 Fail.

I am assuming these low high values are general and not specific to an Avensis I would be grateful if some could enlighten me what the values should be for my car and do I replace the Oxygen Sensor, am I correct it is located on the left side bottom.

You said there are no fault codes. Did the EML come on, or the car just not running right? What made you run the OBD scan in the first place?
What engine is in your car, and I assume it is T27, but there were old stock T25 cars sold at the time. 

Hi Konrad, I purchased the scan software  for my son car, so I thought I would test it on my Avensis first, I have had no lights or error codes, but some months ago it was lacking power when cold, I have had this before with supermarket petrol, so I topped up with Shell and it was ok.

The engine is 1.8 I am not sure if its T25 or T27 ? the engine is 1ZZ-V1

Don't believe the error code until you have scoped the sensor output or viewed live data. Look at the switching speed and check the emissions.

Thank you for the advice,I will re-run the scan and look at the live data.

15 hours ago, John Drake said:

Hi Konrad, I purchased the scan software  for my son car, so I thought I would test it on my Avensis first, I have had no lights or error codes, but some months ago it was lacking power when cold, I have had this before with supermarket petrol, so I topped up with Shell and it was ok.

The engine is 1.8 I am not sure if its T25 or T27 ? the engine is 1ZZ-V1

1ZZ engine means your car is a T25 or Mk2 Avensis. Anyway you answered my question, that there is nothing seriously wrong with your car! You just happen to test the diagnostics!
A few thing you can do is make sure the inlet hose and clamps are secure and the clean the MAF sensor with MAF cleaner. Check all vacuum pipes. Makes sure the fuel system has no leaks, General oil and filter, air filter and spark plug service. So long as there has been no misfire or stuttering, you should be okay. If there has been a misfire, check all connections to all the sensors, like the cam and crank sensors. 
Wait until the car displays or runs poorly, then run diagnostic.  

Many thanks, that has put my mind at rest,I will follow through those checks, just one last question it I may , I am looking at an online manual for the Avensis 2003-2009 but I cant seem to find where it shows the Oxygen sensor for bank 1 - sensor 2 any clue to which section it should be - I have located the heated sensor.

Normally Bank 1 is cyls 1&2, Bank 2 is 3&4.

Sensor 1 is pre-cat. Sensor 2 is post-cat.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links