Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brake Pads

jeff juke

Hi Guys.My car has just passed another M.o.t. for the year with only two advisories,the front pads on both sides are needing replaced.

Its an automatic so i was expecting more wear on the pads with braking but,they were only replaced 4,000 miles aprox ago.

My question is,it wasnt genuine Toyota pads i used but a well known after market set. Would i get more miles out a Toyota set rather

than the good after market set ? Thanks.

If you only replaced them 4,000 miles ago, I think you should be having a good look at the calipers too, something isn't right and it probably isn't the pads.

23 hours ago, Regressor said:

Check the sliding pins on the calipers.

This is a common problem with the Avensis.

You really should do a brake check-up once a year on Avensis cars. My mechanic simply dismounts everything, cleans it up, removes any rust, checks the sliding pins and lubricates them.

It's not a guarantee that everything will be in tip top shape but there are some early signs so you decrease chances of getting stuck on the side of the road.

I replaced my front disc and pads on my 2009 Avensis TR petrol manual, January 2016 - 

The pads are about 60% worn and I have replacements on standby since August last year. That is 25,000 miles on the current set. The brakes have wear indicators, but I do visual checks using a mirror.
Regardless of the car being auto or manual 4000 is far too low, so something must be sticking, as mentioned by others. 

On 9/2/2019 at 5:59 PM, jeff juke said:

Hi Guys.My car has just passed another M.o.t. for the year with only two advisories,the front pads on both sides are needing replaced.

Its an automatic so i was expecting more wear on the pads with braking but,they were only replaced 4,000 miles aprox ago.

My question is,it wasnt genuine Toyota pads i used but a well known after market set. Would i get more miles out a Toyota set rather

than the good after market set ? Thanks.

On my 2012 2.2 manual my latest set of front pads were 36,000 miles old when I traded it in. It had just been serviced & I was told that they were good for another year (~8,000 miles) but would probably need replaced at that point.

4,000 is way too low for normal usage, do you tow something heavy a lot (although even then I would say too low)?

• Like 1

Different garages and people will use different perceptions to describe 'worn'.

Remember that the MOT test minimum is 1.5mm. Even once the friction material is completely worn off the pad backplate your car will still brake, albeit with a nasty grinding noise and feel.

Although my last 2 Avensises (Avensi?) haven't needed replacement pads in my ownership my previous cars have gone over 40,000 miles for front pads (50,000 miles rear) before I've needed to replace them.

I've never had any noticeable difference in brake pad service life between genuine and pattern parts in the past. There shouldn't be much of a difference either although if it really has worn out after 4,000 miles there really must be a problem with the brake pistons not returning into the calipers and the pads dragging on the discs. 

Tread carefully, and verify what your service garage is saying to you. (and I drive an automatic too)

• Like 1

After a ten or twenty minute drive, carefully feel all of the wheels, or check them and the calipers with a non contact infrared thermometer. Be very careful if checking by hand. A sticking pad or caliper will generate a lot of heat and will easily burn you. If any of the wheels or calipers are significantly hotter than the rest, you have found a problem caliper. I would also expect a poor fuel consumption figure if the brakes are sticking on.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links