Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How to lose friends

King Harold

Having owned a corolla for three years and only ever replacing tyres it seemed sensible to stick to Toyota. I never liked diesel cars but I was talked into buying one by friends and ended up with avensis 2litre 2004 with 85000 on clock and full service history. After only a few days I noticed on hard acceleration plumes of black smoke coming from exhaust. No doubt an expensive problem. Then I noticed after a few weeks the oil level was actually rising. (Head gasket?)  Clutch seems to be stiffer than it should and I suspect is leaking fluid because of the work it has to do. Love the avensis but diesel cars are just not for me....

Sounds like it needs a good service, oil level rising is more than likely oil diluition caused by diesel (if the oil hasn't turned into elmulsion or the water level has dropped) clutch - again more than like it needs servicing (fluid needs changing if it has a hydraulic clutch)

Most Diesel cars are less reliable than their petrol counterparts. This particularly applies to Japanese cars. If you want to run an older Diesel then go for VW PD engines.

9 hours ago, mrfixer said:

Most Diesel cars are less reliable than their petrol counterparts. 

I would say "most modern diesels", older diesels were very reliable because they were very simple before we added turbos, intercoolers, common-rail injection,  EGRs, DPFs etc. ...

Normally a 1CD should be bulletproof (as long as you change the belt when due).

p.s. Hi, Harold, welcome to TOC 🙂

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links