Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav4 auto folding mirrors

andy_evans44

If its like the yaris, close the mirrors by the button with the ignition on, get out of the car walk away or lock it, walk back to the car or unlock it the mirrors should open (or open when you turn the ignition on)

does the rav4 even have electrical folding mirrors, if it has the safety sense (cameras sensors in the mirrors)

You appear to have the wrong manual. The current manual is designated OM42D12E. What you have probably done is switch the mirror adjustment selection switch to either left or right. It needs to be in the neutral position to automatically fold when locking. This position also allows you to manually fold the mirrors while driving.

There is an option in the vehicle settings to switch this function off, but it should be enabled by default.

A 2019 Rav could be two different models:

is the car a late previous model with the mirror switch on the dashboard to the right of the steering wheel in which case the car does not have auto fold only a manual button to extend/retract

or is it the latest Rav where the mirror switch is on the drivers door with the window switches in which case there are three buttons the adjuster, the L/R selector and the mirror position switch which has three positions this one needs to be in the middle position also folding is linked to lock/unlock not ignition on/off

Cheers for the feedback.
The mirrors definitely do not open and close automatically. They did the first 2 days I had it. Now I am pretty good with computers and gadgets so I am pretty sure I am doing things correctly. As has been pointed out this automatic control could be switch off in the car settings though at the moment I could not see this setting and generally I have not been changing anything so I cannot understand why it has stopped auto folding function unless I advertently pressed a sequence of switches turning it of.

The seat program settings have never worked, and it is easy to understand how to set these, plus this was identical to another car I had so I am sure I am doing this correctly.

This Friday I will get the garage to have a look and i'll give feedback as to whether I am a twerp or not.

21 hours ago, flash22 said:

...a quick read shows you can change it in the customizable menu on the display (Page 587 onwards)

The function for the mirrors "Automatic folding and extending operation" can only be changed by the dealer according to this section of the manual.

My money would be on catching the switch when closing the door, knocking it to the 'mirrors folded' position - I've done this several times if I pull the handle near the bottom, I think the switch is badly located from this point of view.

4 hours ago, Scottydog007 said:

...The seat program settings have never worked, and it is easy to understand how to set these, plus this was identical to another car I had so I am sure I am doing this correctly...

Mine was like this, and I've seen another thread about it somewhere, with the same fix that a technician at my dealer told me about.

You need to move the seat fully forward, then fully backward, then fully up, down, reclined, upright, front of cushion highest and lowest.  Any order, and hold the switch for 2-3 seconds each time after the movement has stopped.

This resets the seat memory function, after that the memories should work.  Worked for me, anyway.

23 hours ago, PeteB said:

Mine was like this, and I've seen another thread about it somewhere, with the same fix that a technician at my dealer told me about.

You need to move the seat fully forward, then fully backward, then fully up, down, reclined, upright, front of cushion highest and lowest.  Any order, and hold the switch for 2-3 seconds each time after the movement has stopped.

This resets the seat memory function, after that the memories should work.  Worked for me, anyway.

Wow you hit the jackpot with that. Just went out, did this and it now works.

I had just come back from my dealer. He could not get it to work, he had 3 other cars also not working and he was waiting for feedback from Toyota asking how to solve this. I just phoned him and he had never heard about this reset procedure, so was going to try it out.

Many thanks for this.

40 minutes ago, Scottydog007 said:

Wow you hit the jackpot with that. ...Many thanks for this.

You're welcome. Glad it worked for you.

On 9/5/2019 at 10:26 AM, Scottydog007 said:

...The mirrors definitely do not open and close automatically...

BTW Did you have any joy with checking the switch on the armrest is in the middle position (i.e. not pressed down on left or right end)?

Yes it worked. The strange thing is I did this before hand and it didn’t seem to work, I turned engine off and on and tried all kind of combinations, and nothing seemed to work. So I gave up. But when I came back, opened the car, it worked and has worked since.

So I guess it was me being a twerp.

I had another weird thing as well. Every time I started the car the radio was really loud and I had to turn it down. When I finished driving the car turned engine off, the next time I turned the car on the radio would be too loud. This has happened all week.

Then not long ago I decided to see if there was a volume setting, I went switched on the car and the volume was fine, perfect, so I scratched my head and I assume I was imagining things.

I love the car.

Here is a fix for unable to set memory seats from a US forum...

https://www.rav4world.com/threads/drivers-seat-memory-not-working.295595/page-3

Here is how to make your memory seat work on 2019 Rav4

1. move your seat forward much as you can.
2. move your seat higher much as you can. 
3. incline your seat much as you can. 
4. hold the set button and press 1. 
5. move driver side seat to the desired seat position. 
6. hold the set button and press 1.

• Thanks 1

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 3:36 PM, PeteB said:

BTW Did you have any joy with checking the switch on the armrest is in the middle position (i.e. not pressed down on left or right end)?

Yes that caught me out yesterday. I had allowed my niece's young son to sit in the drivers seat and prod a few buttons thinking that without the key fob nothing was going to be active! When I went to drive away I was puzzled that the mirrors didn't extend. Without a printed manual it took a little bit of trial and error before I found the problem.

I keep the downloaded manuals on my phone so I can refer anytime!

Question , for this module , did you need to get aftermarket side mirrors ? I have 2010 base rav4 from Japan. My car has no turn signals or auto folding , just power windows. I see a few side mirrors with turn signals and auto folding on Ali expres. Anyone tried it before ?

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/6/2018 at 1:12 PM, andy_evans44 said:

Just fitted mine took around 15 mins. Works great thanks the the info and photos probably saved me an hour or more.😀

• 1 month later...

Sorry for joining this late.  Can someone confirm the proper instructions to get the automatic side mirrors working again? I had a similar situation where they were working fine for about a month - and then all of a sudden without changing any settings - they stopped folding in automatically when i locked the car door.  The manual button on the side armrest works, but i cant seem to get the auto working again. I made sure the mirror adjust button was in the middle, but still nothing.  I assume the fold/open button needs to be in the open position (as if it is in the fold position the mirror stays closed even if the car is turned on).  Oh, and I have a 2019 RAV4 hybrid from NZ.

Thanks

Hi Andy.  Assuming it works the same way as ours, the rocker switch on the armrest clicks to 3 positions - you need to have it in the middle (level) for the auto folding to work.

It's too easy to knock it when grabbing the handle to close the door.

The armrest switches on my last 2016 Prius were so much better designed than the RAV4, especially the mirror switch which was a large knurled knob which twisted left of right to choose which mirror it adjusted - so easy to find and work by feel alone.  These and the roof switches are a big step backwards on the newer, more expensive RAV4 for some reason.  I really wish they'd copied the format from the 4th Gen Prius, which BTW also had all the roof and window switches illuminated too.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Could someone tell me which cable does what? (I marked them with the red square)

MF on Pin 24 with Light Green colour does Folding?

MR on Pin 23 with Green colour does Unfolding? What is the meaning of MR?

electric diagram doubt.png

• 3 weeks later...

I got a little problem with my rav4 hybrid installing the mirror folding module.The module from aliexpress is working but can't combine it with the sidemirror cams because the left cam doesn't show display anymore.I unplugged the module and ordered an universal module.Now i have to found out more cables to connect.Anyone here with a rav4 hybrid(xa40) with bird view/panoramic view monitor?

I included the wiring diagram that came with the module.

What i found already: door open lock/unlock signals, 12v+, ACC On and ground.

20200503_231016.jpg

On 9/12/2019 at 10:16 PM, FarezsRav said:

Question , for this module , did you need to get aftermarket side mirrors ? I have 2010 base rav4 from Japan. My car has no turn signals or auto folding , just power windows. I see a few side mirrors with turn signals and auto folding on Ali expres. Anyone tried it before ?

If you mirrors can be folded by pressing the button, you can install auto fold module, it doesn't matter if your mirrors have built-in indictators or not. And if you want to retrofit mirrors with indicators you would need to modify wiring, which is a bit of a hassle tbh. 

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to add my thanks to Leckytec, Kos_ta and others for their input to this problem. I have a 2017 RAV4 and was also frustrated by the wing mirrors. I live in Spain so have a left hand drive version and the wiring differs by one colour only so it wasn't difficult to sort out. The instructions that came with the control unit were of no use at all as they wanted the door panel to be renewed and a couple of wires to be cut though where those wires were I have no idea!! Anyway, the mirrors now behave exactly as they should which is really useful here in Spain as most parking spaces are very tight. Many thanks again, Peter Holley.

• 2 weeks later...

It worked! Put seat all the way in each direction (up, down, forward, back) then hold set + 1 or 2 to set the memory! 

• 3 months later...

Thank you for the Memory seat solution. Just bought a 2020 Rav4 and couldn't set the seat position. Also my husbands 2018 memory seats also quit working.

I just went out and got mine to work with the solution in this thread, tomorrow will work on hubby's car.