Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk1 T-Sport, new tyres needed - what do you recommend?

Silver Yaris

Hi all,

My tyres are in need of replacement and I currently have Goodyear Efficient grip at the standard size of 185/55/15 which have been good but I fancy a change.

I have a spare set of wheels with full blown winters so don't want to go down the route of the cross climate tyres but am thinking of going for a slightly wider & lower profile on the new ones, i.e. 195/50/15 as there appears to be more choice.

The tyre that has caught my eye at the moment is the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 which seem to have great reviews and I have found them for £64.49 per tyre fully fitted which seems a decent price.

Has anyone got any experience with them as if they are anything like the Road Pilot 4's that I have on my bike then they should be a great tyre?

Well if Michelin is within the budget I can recommend them to you, rarely someone beats them in almost anything. If you are looking at budget ones I can recommend Debica Presto UHP 2 , very good reviews and made by Goodyear, or Kumho Ecsta HS 51, very balanced tyres performance - price wise. But go for the best , price seems a good one. 

Regards 

I am running on Michelin Pilot Sport, but I get the feeling it was designed by the French for the French climate as the grip drops off in Autumn to Spring in the UK more so than Goodyear designed for a similar climate found in Japan.

So it depends on what you can get hold off. If like me you could not get hold off Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance then go for the Michelin Pilots. 

The Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance are bit more comfortable and softer round the side walls as well.

Unlike other brands, I find both these makes keep their grip and comfort down to end of life. 

At 185 60 15 and proper tracking we had Michlens but can't see what's all the fuss is about, lasted nicely at 25k on the front but very noisy.

Swapped to Falkens ZE310, which where far quieter and lasted 24k.

Currently on another set of Falkens, they behave a bit better than the Michlens in the wet and again far quieter.

Tyre choice is a big can of worms, Its down to personal preference, I have Avon's on mine and i'm happy with them £65 a corner fitted

185/55/15 are a very common size

As per my original post, I was thinking of moving up from the standard 185/55/15 to 195/50/15 as from what I have read in various places, there appears to be more choice.

The other tyre that people seem to rave about is the Uniroyal Rainsport 3 and at the moment I can get them for £55 each, Pilot Sport 3's are £62 each & Goodyear Efficientgrip performance (which is what I currently have) are coming in at £60 each.

At the end of the day, we are only talking £28 difference between the cheapest & the most expensive so it's not going to break the bank.

I'm just torn between which are going to provide the best grip in the rain & over the winter as they all appear to have great reviews on the tyre websites but then you get a different story from people who actually have them which is why I am asking you good people.

I just used NBlue HD Plus on yaris 4 tyres and 2 front tyres on Avensis. These have many good reviews and are oem Kia. Tyres on the drive install them outside of the house and supposedly have a very expensive torque tool.

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update to this in case anyone finds themselves in the same dilemma. 

I opted for the Uniroyal RainSport 3's in the end and they are absolutely amazing! So much grip in the wet & definitely better than my previous Goodyear energy efficiency sport or whatever their right name is. 

20191008_160044.jpg

20191008_160122.jpg

I recently had them fitted. A damn sight more air in the tread than rubber. They seem to be not up to much in the dry, but better in the wet (than in the dry!).

I'll wait and see what their wear's like.

I currently have 2 spares Goodyear same as u, have been looking to get 2 Uniroyals Rain sports3 also for changing all 4 tyres next spring. 

I don't have experience about those tires but I just ordered new Nokian tires and still waiting them to come :P. I have always used Nokian and I like them. I live in US and part time in Finland so i know harsh conditions and in Cheshire there might get snowy (?), sooo I recommend to check these ones. 

https://www.nokiantires.com/ here you can check the right size also