Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is it easy to swap engines+gearbox to later version on E110/G6?

BGomes

Hi. As you will undoubtedly gather I'm a newbie here.

My wife has a 1999 G6, I think you call it an E110, 1.3 GLS Automatic with a 4EFE engine. In the last two years, the engine has lost power, oil is leaking from both the front and rear crank seal, there's a crank rattle on startup and the oil light stays on for 10 seconds on cold start, so it seems that the block is on its way out. Now the body is in great shape and its a shame to chuck an otherwise loyal workhorse.

So I'm thinking in the direction of a full engine+gearbox swap, for a powerplant which is younger, perhaps more up to date. Wondered if the VVTI 1.4, or 1.6, which appears in the facelift version of the E11 family might be a credible option. I thought to obtain a working full engine and gearbox combo, complete with subframe, rad, downpipe, loom and ECU - perhaps the VVTI engine from a slightly later Corolla (2000 model) which seems to have the same internal dashboard clocks, etc. Does anybody know whether this is a low risk, recommendable route?

Hi,

That sounds like an awful lot of work and expense plus how do you know a second hand VVTI engine and gearbox is any good ?

After all they will be at least 13 years old and some of the earlier VVTI engines did have the oil burning problem.

Unless you are doing this just for the sake of a project to do, think looking for a 2006*  VVTI complete car would be a much better solution and as your G6 bodywork is sound would think you can find a ready market for it to offset the cost of the VVTI.

* 2006 model better as thats well after the end date of the oil problem

• Like 1

Alternatively, look for another engine same as you already have.  As OC says, there's a risk with the condition of any replacement engine, but it would be a much simpler swap, if you can find one, that is.  Even such as the driveshafts could be different. A change to the later engine is not something I'd contemplate.

Out of curiosity, how many miles has the present engine done?

• 1 month later...

Hi. Sorry its taken a long time to respond. The car has done 165K miles. Also it turns out that this 4EFE is actually a 1.4! If anybody can suggest a source of a good 1.4 4EFE+ Automatic gearbox with low miles, as a full powerplant, please let me know. We live in Kent.